• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Elysian Coffee is open at 590 West Broadway at Ash Street, one block west of Cambie.

Thanks barolo! Great to hear that they've added a second branch - the one on W. 5th is one of my fave spots for coffee in the city.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Dolcetto, a new cafe at 2967 Broadway from Mark Taylor of Cru, just opened according to Andrew Morrison over at Scout:

I organized my work Chirstmas Party this past Tuesday at Cru, Mark did mentioned he opended this doors at Dolcetto that day. I plan on checking out the panini's sometime next week, and will post some pictures at that time.

_____

I received an email a couple days ago regarding new management, chef and menu at Metro, anyone have any more information? I did a quick search but could not find anything, and their website is still under construction.

Edited by D90 (log)

First look at the new Lumiere and db Bistro Moderne.

Nice digs. Opening Dec. 10th.

I can't believe how fast they've put together the finishing touches. I walked by two weeks ago and it was jib rock (spelling?) and bare cement floors. Heard there were a few all nighters.

I bet the place was held together with crazy glue for the opener and will take a lot more work to actually get it ready to pass inspections for Dec. 10.

Looking forward to this.

I noticed the DB Burger in the photo was as rare as his New York locations. I thought there was some dumb health rule that burgers have to be cooked well done here? Let's hope there are exceptions.

jib rock (spelling?) and bare cement floors.

That would be gyp rock (for gypsum sheetrock) or GWB (which some of us stopped using the last 8 years!) - gypsum wall board, and bare concrete floors. Cement is one of the components of concrete. Since you asked, kind of.

Edited by tsquare (log)

O Thai on W. Broadway @ Fir has closed.

The first time I went there, a week or two after they opened, the food was great and the service attentive. However, by the second time they seem to have lost interest - lacklustre service and so-so food. I heard rumours that they'd lost their original chef as well.

I'm worried that Kei's Bakery on Burrard may not be returning.

The sign posted on the door on October 11th said they'll be back in two weeks, but two months later the sign's still there and it looks like no one's been back since...

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Dolcetto, a new cafe at 2967 Broadway from Mark Taylor of Cru, just opened according to Andrew Morrison over at Scout:

I organized my work Chirstmas Party this past Tuesday at Cru, Mark did mentioned he opended his doors at Dolcetto that day. I plan on checking out the panini's sometime next week, and will post some pictures at that time.

Yes, we're open.

2967 West Broadway

7:30am to 7:30 pm daily

Serving 49th Parallel coffee, Panini and baked goods from Rise Artisan Bakery and Cru.

Dolcetto

The Taco Shack location on W. Broadway has closed. Not sure how the original Cornwall Ave store is doing...

Still going strong, we missed the opportunity in the broadway location and have moved on. However the kits location is still a going concern and is still making, fresh tacos, quesadilla's and burritos

Edited to make Jason feel better.

Edited by gerald (log)

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Reported in today's Georgia Straight, another Zakkushi, this time on Main:

Following the success of its Denman Street and 4th Avenue locations, a new Zakkushi has opened at 4075 Main Street. It has a menu similar to the Kits restaurant, but with more sushi and sashimi options.

Cheers,

Anne

O Thai on W. Broadway @ Fir has closed.

The first time I went there, a week or two after they opened, the food was great and the service attentive. However, by the second time they seem to have lost interest - lacklustre service and so-so food. I heard rumours that they'd lost their original chef as well.

The sign posted on the door on October 11th said they'll be back in two weeks, but two months later the sign's still there and it looks like no one's been back since...

They're open now. I thought they had given it up months ago. Wonder what quality of Thai cooking they are doing? Is it Thai owned?

Oh no! I hope they're ok... Maybe they went back to Japan for an extended visit?

Oh no! I hope they're ok... Maybe they went back to Japan for an extended visit?

My understanding is that the husband has got some real health issues. I really hope that a speedy recovery is made - and that they open shop again real soon.

I walked by Kei's today at about 2 pm and they were indeed closed -- sign on the door said just for today. Lights were on in the back and young Asian woman was bestirring herself at some unidentifable task.

My understanding is that the husband has got some real health issues. I really hope that a speedy recovery is made - and that they open shop again real soon.

• 2 weeks later...