• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Heavenly Bites' new location on Hastings is open. Anyone tried it? Also a new Thai restaurant in that stretch.

Can't wait to try Cioffi's new take-out counter. I'm a regular for everything else there...

Sorry to hear about the closing of Black Tuna, which I'd noticed a while ago. Anyone know where the chef went? He was excellent.

Black Tuna Japanese Bistro upstairs on Denman just north of Davie closed few months ago - it is now a sushi place.

The place that replaced Black Tuna is not as good. Dirty dishes everywhere, staff meal left on the table beside me, with a half full restaurant. That end of Denman is a sushi-dead-zone now. Best walk up the block closer to Robson for good Japanese.

Barrett Jones - 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Dwell Time - my coffee and photography site

got this email today....

As the year approaches the festive season, we are excited to offer our new private room next door to Chambar for an exclusive dining experience. Many of you have already visited Medina, our gorgeous breakfast and lunch café, during the daytime. When night falls Medina is now available for private events.

Chambar and Medina would like to extend an invitation for you to book a date with us this holiday season. Medina’s old-world interior will accommodate up to 30 seated for dinner and up to 60 for standing receptions. It’s the perfect venue for celebrating not just the holiday season but also family reunions, anniversaries, girls’ nights, birthdays, and no matter your occasion, we’ll be sure to have wine, beer, and your favourite items from Chambar on the menu.

Please call 604.879.7119 or email info@chambar.com if you are interested in learning more regarding availability and sample menus. Our staff will organise an event that your guests will talk about for years to come.

All the best!

Nico & Karri

Chambar Restaurant

Piato, the new Greek place on restaurant row (W 4th just before Burrard) is now open. This looks to be the long awaited modern take on Greek we in Vancouver have been waiting for.

The menu is fairly extensive and moderately priced. The room is clean and attractive (with a serious bar) and without the usual claptrap of Greek decor.

(In fact, with the name you could easily mistake it for a modern Italian resto.) Let's hope the kitchen is up to the look.

This just arrived in my mailbox - sad news!

Aurora Bistro Announcement

After more than five years of operation in Vancouver’s emergent Main Street neighbourhood, Aurora Bistro has closed its doors. Aurora Bistro opened in June 2003 to rave reviews and has remained a popular regional restaurant winning numerous awards.

Despite the restaurant’s broad following and significant acclaim, it recently became evident that the business could no longer remain profitable and continue to operate.

To close the restaurant was a difficult decision to make, but after committing five years to Aurora as a hard-working chef and active restaurant owner, Jeff Van Geest is ready for a fresh start and welcomes more time to spend with his family.

“I want to thank my incredible staff for their hard work and dedication to Aurora. I also want to sincerely thank our suppliers, customers, our dear industry friends and the food and wine media for their amazing support over the years” says Van Geest.

Aurora Bistro Announcement

Truly sad. My best wishes to Chef Jeff in his future endeavours :sad:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

\Aurora Bistro Announcement

Truly unfortunate news. Aurora was a real pioneer of the eat and drink local mantra (as well as investing and taking a chance on a dodgy location).

One has to wonder if they had located a couple of blocks up past Broadway on Main if they would not be in much better shape as their concept is as solid as you can get these days. All the best to Jeff and his family. Enjoy the r & r!

Can only imagine that other location pioneers like the guys from Fuel with their new place aren't hauling out the calculators and spread sheets one more time....

Campagnolo looks really interesting! I'm excited to try it out! Now I have two reasons to head in that direction (the other being Pnom Pehn) :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

First look at Fuel's second restaurant, Campagnolo, here. They should be open next week.

Thanks for your sneak peek (which for some reason I couldn't find on the Scout site without this link, my techno-bad). I have been waiting with anticipation for the opening and since we were right across the street today during the Culture Crawl, I suggested to my companions that we see what we could see. As we were peering in the large front window and gesticulating wildly at the architectural details (two of the group are an architect and an engineer), one of the workers came out to chat with us. No big deal, you might say, until I tell you that this involved walking all the way around the building as the front door is not yet functional. Giovanni introduced himself as the guy behind the bar (way to multitask) and asked if we would like a copy of the menu. Why yes, yes we would! So we trundled round to Station Street and he kindly invited us to step inside while he was getting the sheet for us, it being a chilly early evening. Needless to say, we were soon roaming the main floor ogling the setup with Samantha the manager. The 30-seat wine bar in the back is going to be a big draw, I'm guessing. Oh and that menu? Nothing over $18, and lots of choice without being too ambitious: Six antipasti, four housemade salumi, three pasta and one risott, three pizza, four mains (chicken, beef, ling cod and pork) and four contorni. I only wish we weren't booked up all this week or we would be knocking down the door (once one is actually installed).

There's a new Thai take out joint on Main between 11th and 12th called Mali Thai...it is very cheap and pretty respectable chow. Tried the red curry & pad thai. Simple, clean flavours.

does the pad thai have ketchup?

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Dolcetto, a new cafe at 2967 Broadway from Mark Taylor of Cru, just opened according to Andrew Morrison over at Scout:

They’re serving 49th Parallel coffee, “seriously” good panini, and baked goods from Chris Brown of Rise Artisan Bakery (formerly the owner of Ecco el Panne). Open from 7:30 am to 7:30 pm, and staffed by once upon a time Cru vets, Mim Arfa and Kristen Howe, back from their independent wanderings.

Cheers,

Anne