• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Jackson's Meats is joining MacKinnon's Bakery and Canada Produce by closing its doors in September. Since they're all in the same building, it sounds like the landlord must have upped their rent by a hefty amount. While MacKinnon's and Canada Produce plan to move, Jackson's is gone for good. Great article in the Vancouver Courier about the history of the butcher business in the city:

Vancouver Courier article: 'The Final Cut'

That is truly sad. Jacksons is an institution and one of the best butchers I've used. I'm surprised they didn't have staying power.

I'll drown my sorrows over their departure with a large steak tonight.

how ironic that i just had a thick monster steak from costco for dinner tonight. although in my defense, i try to shop at windows meats on main st. when i can...

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

how ironic that i just had a thick monster steak from costco for dinner tonight. although in my defense, i try to shop at windows meats on main st. when i can...

I'm guessing you mean Windsor Meats ?

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I'm guessing you mean Windsor Meats ?

ahem...yes. :raz:

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Pinky's on W. 4th, across from Italian Kitchen, is rocketing towards readyness. The place is virtually complete with staff training going on as we speak.

I can't believe how many plush red leather banquettes they've been able to squeeze into that relatively modest space.

Finest at Sea on Granville Island is finally open, or so it appears. They don't have hours posted and the staff inside aren't friendly enough to actually talk to the people looking in the window at 10:30 on a Sunday morning but there's food on the shelves and in the coolers.

Cassis Bistro reopened recently after a renovation, not sure if the menu has changed.

At Urban Diner Andrew Morrison reports a new restaurant called La Brasserie will open on Davie near Thurlow:

Their new, 30-35 seat restaurant will be called La Brasserie. It should be coming our way at some point in October (we’ll keep you posted). Located at 1091 Davie St., it’s in a pretty solid location right next to the Starbucks at Thurlow (formerly Zagros, a Persian restaurant).

The concept is a Franco-German brasserie with comfort foods like rotisserie chicken, house-made German sausages, suckling pig, sauerbratten, et cetera. Perrow has crafted a list of small list of 10-12 red and white French and German wine, all available by the glass, plus about 30 French and German beers (4-5 on tap).

Full details at Urban Diner

Cheers,

Anne

At Urban Diner Andrew Morrison reports a new restaurant called La Brasserie will open on Davie near Thurlow:

Their new, 30-35 seat restaurant will be called La Brasserie. It should be coming our way at some point in October (we’ll keep you posted). Located at 1091 Davie St., it’s in a pretty solid location right next to the Starbucks at Thurlow (formerly Zagros, a Persian restaurant).

The concept is a Franco-German brasserie with comfort foods like rotisserie chicken, house-made German sausages, suckling pig, sauerbratten, et cetera. Perrow has crafted a list of small list of 10-12 red and white French and German wine, all available by the glass, plus about 30 French and German beers (4-5 on tap).

Full details at Urban Diner

Looks like La Brasserie may be open as early as next Thursday or Friday. I managed to get a little peek in the door this afternoon - Andrew has a video posted on Urban Diner.

Cheers,

Anne

• 3 weeks later...
Walking past Rare tonight I noticed that the sign in the window mentions a Sept. 1 relaunch with various and sundry improvements. Anyone know if there's any hope or is it gonzo?

I would suggest that it is gonzo. They do not currently have a liquor license, and the original operators are no longer involved. The remaining investors are focusing on bringing their other venture (Metro) up to their standards.

However, I have heard that Brian Fowke still has dreams of re-opening Rare, and has made a proposal to the investors to take it off of their hands. That said, I still believe that the liquor license and various other obstacles will prevent that from happening.

Georgia Straight says Savory Coast Cucina Mediterranea on Robson will close October 31.

There's a new chocolate place with a Spanish theme (sorry can't remember the name) on Denman replacing the short lived Ko Ko Chocolate Creations.

Schnitzelz on Denman is closed.

Chau Kitchen and Bar open on 1500 Robson, reportedly Vietnamese fusion.

Voya in the Loden Holel on Melville opens on the 18th. This is a long awaited opening so I'm sure they'll be packed from day 1

Cheers,

Anne

Yes in the old Saigon place. I've only walked by so I can't comment on food.

Chau Kitchen and Bar open on 1500 Robson, reportedly Vietnamese fusion.

Interesting. I might have to have a first hand look.

Is that in the old Saigon space? Hopefully they have improved it. The old place was awful.

Cheers,

Anne

Bump.

They just put new doors on the place and some kinda trim on the inside of the windoze.

Anybody?

There's a bunch of activity at the old Tony Roma's location on Pacific at Howe. Painting and cleaning and all kinds of stuff.

Anybody got some scoop?

:blink:

WHAT is going on at feenies ???

admittedly have been away cooking and cooking ,

did I miss something ? tried to go with the glam youth, who always have had a good time there ....all papered over !??

Feenie left in a dispute with the owners, Daniel Boulud of NY was brought in. Feenies will reopen as a DB Bistro Moderne next month, supposedly, along with a revamped Lumiere.

Cheers,

Anne

• 2 weeks later...

Black Tuna Japanese Bistro upstairs on Denman just north of Davie closed few months ago - it is now a sushi place.

Unless I was still dreaming as I was walking to work very early this morning, a Wicked Cafe has opened on Hornby just by Presto Panini.

The new Cioffi's will offer take out starting November 15th, according to the Georgia Straight:

If you’re particular about your meat, spanking new Cioffi’s Meat Market & Gourmet Kitchen at 4142 East Hastings Street—two doors down from the overflowing original Cioffi’s—is worth a look-in. Here, butchers turn out beautifully Euro-style prime cuts so perfect that many top Lower Mainland restaurants are customers. Find kurobuta pork, Polderside chickens, Italian sausages, and more. Starting next Saturday (November 15), there’ll be takeout rotisserie chickens, house-made lasagna, and dishes made from neighbouring Pear Tree Restaurant’s recipes.

New French casual on Granville according to the Straight

French comfort food like moules frites and duck confit grace the menu at the newly minted Twisted Fork Bistro (1147 Granville Street). The cozy, narrow restaurant has a casual, laid-back vibe. It’s open from 6 p.m. daily and for brunch on weekends.

Cheers,

Anne