• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what's up at India Grill location on W 4th? While walking past this morning, I noticed they were papered up and massive renovations were under way.

According to Urban Diner, a modern Greek resto called Piato is coming in there.

Kentan mentioned in another thread that Mackinnon's bakery was moving. Noticed a for lease sign up day before yesterday that I've heard is already gone so will assume that (a) this is not a demo and (b) it's been leased.

Along with Jackson's next door leaving I'd first figured the old one-stories were coming down but I guess not, just a gigantic rent increase to come into line with the soon to be Robson like pricing in the area.

Let's see, will it be a shoe store or no...maybe a women's clothing store? I must be clairvoyant. :wink:

I can't say that from a culinary point of view that Mackinnon's will be a big loss for me.  I had the most expensive and stalest cheese straw ever from there a few weeks ago.  Awful.

Agree, for some it was more of a nostalgia thing in a sort of downscale Bon Ton way.

There is a new European specialty food shop on the corner of Kingsway and Fraser operated by a couple from the Ukraine originally. I think the complex is 701 Kingsway. It is a nice little shop, with handmade pieroge available made by the owner. They have cheese, sour cherry, cabbage, potato, potato cheese, turkey, and beef. Bought some of the cheese to take home and prepare and they had that nice sourness common in the Eastern European style cottage cheese pieroge. The dough was the perfect chewiness. Still have the cabbage ones waiting to try next. They also have a nice selection of canned products from Russia, including wonderful sprats in oil. Deliciously smoky on a slice of rye bread!

I don't know the name of the place though. Does anyone know the name?!?!?!?!

Anyone have the scoop on "Crime Lab" that is opening on Coal Harbour in the old Asian Bliss location?

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have the scoop on "Crime Lab" that is opening on Coal Harbour in the old Asian Bliss location?

Andrew Morrison, as usual, has the scoop:

http://www.westender.com/articles/entry/th...k-happenings15/

Crime Lab restaurant is returning to Coal Harbour after disappearing two years ago — though not to the same West Pender location. One of the original owners is reinventing it in the space previously occupied by the short-lived Bliss Asian Bistro, just off the seawall at 100-500 Denman. No news on a timeline just yet, but we’ll keep you posted.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Wow - I got a blast from the past walking downtown today. The Elephant & Castle pub has returned to Vancouver with a new location in the Marine Building, on the corner of Burrard and W. Hastings. According to the E&C website, their last downtown location in Pacific Centre closed 10 years ago.

Elephant & Castle - downtown Vancouver

No idea what the 'new' Elephant & Castle will be like, but the idea of having a beer in the Marine Bldg really appeals to me.

Burrard St north seems to really be livening up in the evening - first with the Cactus Club flagship and now this. I'm sure much of it is in anticipation of the opening of the convention centre next year.

There is a new European specialty food shop on the corner of Kingsway and Fraser operated by a couple from the Ukraine originally.  I think the complex is 701 Kingsway.  It is a nice little shop, with handmade pieroge available made by the owner.  They have cheese, sour cherry, cabbage, potato, potato cheese, turkey, and beef.  Bought some of the cheese to take home and prepare and they had that nice sourness common in the Eastern European style cottage cheese pieroge.  The dough was the perfect chewiness.  Still have the cabbage ones waiting to try next.  They also have a nice selection of canned products from Russia, including wonderful sprats in oil.  Deliciously smoky on a slice of rye bread!

I don't know the name of the place though.  Does anyone know the name?!?!?!?!

ooo, i've been wanting to try this place! it's called "Alenka" i believe.

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

There is a new European specialty food shop on the corner of Kingsway and Fraser operated by a couple from the Ukraine originally.  I think the complex is 701 Kingsway.  It is a nice little shop, with handmade pieroge available made by the owner.  They have cheese, sour cherry, cabbage, potato, potato cheese, turkey, and beef.  Bought some of the cheese to take home and prepare and they had that nice sourness common in the Eastern European style cottage cheese pieroge.  The dough was the perfect chewiness.  Still have the cabbage ones waiting to try next.  They also have a nice selection of canned products from Russia, including wonderful sprats in oil.  Deliciously smoky on a slice of rye bread!

Yep, sure is... drove by on our way to pho last night but sadly it was after hours...

Yep, sure is... drove by on our way to pho last night but sadly it was after hours...

Thanks for the name! I just finished the last can of sprats last night. So it will be a return trip soon!

A new Latin American restaurant just opened up in the 2200 block East Hastings, El Barrio. It seemed to spring up like a mushroom practically overnight in a location that has been a rotating list of forgettable Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants for the past several years.

It's a pretty big room - I dropped in on their second day in the afternoon looking for a takeout menu, and was struck by the decor (black and dark red - reminded me of the old DV8 in Yaletown for some reason), and the exceedingly enthusiastic waitstaff.

The menu is on their website - it seems a tad expensive for the area, but if the atmosphere is great it could be worth it. Also, underpricing is one of the death knells of new restaurants - better to price oneself out of the market than to run at a loss until bankruptcy. Don't know if they're licensed.

I hope they do better than their predecessors - it certainly is a change in decor.

Jackson's Meats is joining MacKinnon's Bakery and Canada Produce by closing its doors in September. Since they're all in the same building, it sounds like the landlord must have upped their rent by a hefty amount. While MacKinnon's and Canada Produce plan to move, Jackson's is gone for good. Great article in the Vancouver Courier about the history of the butcher business in the city:

Vancouver Courier article: 'The Final Cut'

Jackson's Meats is joining MacKinnon's Bakery and Canada Produce by closing its doors in September. Since they're all in the same building, it sounds like the landlord must have upped their rent by a hefty amount. While MacKinnon's and Canada Produce plan to move, Jackson's is gone for good. Great article in the Vancouver Courier about the history of the butcher business in the city:

Vancouver Courier article: 'The Final Cut'

That is truly sad. Jacksons is an institution and one of the best butchers I've used. I'm surprised they didn't have staying power.

I'll drown my sorrows over their departure with a large steak tonight.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello