• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Not sure if this qualifies for this thread, but Vancouver Coastal Health has just released their 2008 food establishment closures.

Click!

Thanks for posting this -- I just checked to see if the places I'm considering for lunch are on it -- nope :-). Hmm Capone's has the dubious honour of appearing twice.

Edited by grayelf (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Kitto's Japanese restaurant near Granville and Robson seems to have disappeared.  Does anyone know if they relocated somewhere else?

Never been in there but my wife and I while walking past it 2-3 weeks ago saw a sign that said "Restaurant Makeover" in the window. I have no idea if it was the show on Food Network.

Just noticed Cheesecake 101 on 4th has packed it in, ostensibly to focus on their wholesale business...

It's going to be a PHAT. From the Urban Diner archives, two months ago:

whisper.jpg

My favourite Vancouver sandwich spot is expanding to Kitsilano. Fans of Yaletown’s PHAT (an acronym for Pretty Hot and Tasty), and in particular their smoked meat sandwiches, will rejoice in hearing that William Kaminsky is opening his second location at 1859 West 4th in the old Cheesecake 101 location. They picked up the keys yesterday, have their plans sorted, and are putting in their application for a liquor license. Expect longer opening hours, a menu that is a carbon copy of the Yaletown location’s, a communal table, espresso bar, and garage door frontage for al fresco suppage.  D-day is July 1st.

Mazeltov.

I spoke with Kaminsky just a few nights ago and they're on track, give or take a few days (probably give). I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Just noticed Cheesecake 101 on 4th has packed it in, ostensibly to focus on their wholesale business...

whisper.jpg

My favourite Vancouver sandwich spot is expanding to Kitsilano. Fans of Yaletown’s PHAT (an acronym for Pretty Hot and Tasty), and in particular their smoked meat sandwiches, will rejoice in hearing that William Kaminsky is opening his second location at 1859 West 4th in the old Cheesecake 101 location. They picked up the keys yesterday, have their plans sorted, and are putting in their application for a liquor license. Expect longer opening hours, a menu that is a carbon copy of the Yaletown location’s, a communal table, espresso bar, and garage door frontage for al fresco suppage.  D-day is July 1st.

Mazeltov.

I spoke with Kaminsky just a few nights ago and they're on track, give or take a few days (probably give). I'm looking forward to it.

My bad -- must catch up on UD postings...

whisper.jpg

Mazeltov.

Awesome! They're only a block from my work - I guess that's where I'll be spending all my lunch money!

Some video from the Trattoria Italian Kitchen opening last night. Pretty place. Kinda gaudy for Kits, but I'm sure it'll do gangbusters.

Went there for lunch yesterday, and it was packed! By 1pm there wasn't a seat to be had. Had antipasti, bruschetta sampler, veal & arugula pizza, lamb pappardelle, panzanella salad (between the 6 of us - not all by myself!). Very good food, definately exceeded expectations.

Some video from the Trattoria Italian Kitchen opening last night. Pretty place. Kinda gaudy for Kits, but I'm sure it'll do gangbusters.

Went there for lunch yesterday, and it was packed! By 1pm there wasn't a seat to be had. Had antipasti, bruschetta sampler, veal & arugula pizza, lamb pappardelle, panzanella salad (between the 6 of us - not all by myself!). Very good food, definately exceeded expectations.

We went last Monday (about three days after they opened). I usually never go to a new rest. until after the first couple of weeks but we had family in town who wanted Italian and it was close.

No reso, we got sat at the bar (I was right beside the chef while he called and expedited - fun times :biggrin:)

First off I need to say that I'm not a big fan of the this style of place (or their places downtown) -noisy, trendy - but, damn! it rocked and by that I mean it was packed in the restaurant and crazy on the line but the food came out fast and well prepared. We had carpaccio, arugula salad, an assortment of pastas, Kobe meatballs, two kinds of veal scallopines and it was all as well prepared and presented as if they had been open for months and at relatively reasonable prices.

Dessert was their Bombollonis, (deep fried dough with molten chocolate in the center) - appears to be the signature dessert and is pretty tasty and dangerous as the big joke is watching these things burst when you bite and having them spray all over the place - if you're not careful after the warning).

Pinky's must be grinding their teeth watching an opening like this after their permit problems, they are still a ways off it seems. And with Phats opening across the street this has become one crazy food block in the space of a year.

• 2 weeks later...
It looks like Meinhardt on Granville is branching out to become a mini grocery store empire. I noticed a sign today saying that a new 15,000 sq. ft location will be opening up at Arbutus & 16th next to the Ridge Theatre. I seem to vaguely remember there used to be a grocery store in that block a number of years ago, so it'll be good for that neighbourhood to have one there again. The nearest one at the moment is the Safeway a couple of blocks south on Arbutus.

I drove by there a few days ago and it looks like it's pretty close to opening. I live between the two, but closer to this new one. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

It looks like Meinhardt on Granville is branching out to become a mini grocery store empire. I noticed a sign today saying that a new 15,000 sq. ft location will be opening up at Arbutus & 16th next to the Ridge Theatre. 

I drove by there a few days ago and it looks like it's pretty close to opening. I live between the two, but closer to this new one. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

It's opening on Monday - here's the article from the Sun. They've been training staff in the Granville store for the past few weeks - many of them are from Ireland for some reason!

Apparently that space was a Buy-Low Foods prior to Long & McQuade taking it over.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

^ No idea. I think Rare was supposed to reopen in May. I assume Brian is focusing on Metro.

The sign on their door says they're closed for renovations until Sept. 1st.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Went to "Two Chefs and Table" 305 Alexander (Gastown/Railtown) for dinner last night. Nice minimalist room and a great value $36 Five course chef's table menu. Small wine list but grander things in the works. I recommend you give it a try.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG