• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

^ My uncle & auntie went on Saturday and reported that the prices have gone way up ($5.50 for a steamer of ha gow?? :blink: $14 for an oily plate of "gon chau ngau haw" (dry stir-fried beef rice-noodles)??) They didn't notice any marked difference in quality either...

That could be a part of the reason why they raised their prices the other could be the cost of ingredients. Our family always buy the Chinese green onion buns, over the last week I have noticed my favorite place to buy them have raised the prices from .65cents each to .98cents each.

Caffe Artigianno (I butchered that, didn't I?) has come to Burnaby! I just noticed a brand spanking new location on Hastings, somewhere west of Willingdon, I think. We were whizzing by quite fast at night and I can't recall the exact location, but I'll be in to check it out soon. Although not for the $15 cuppa Joe...

probably been mentiond before but i just noticed that rime on the drive is gone, i'd heard about lime but thought it was beside that space, not was that space, bummer does that mean no more turkish restos in the city?

• 2 weeks later...
That is good news.  Is it already open?  Same recipe?!?!?!

No, just a bunch of 'opening soon' signs on the window (the name may be coming back to me - "Zironi's"? something like that). They have big pizza shoes to fill, so here's hoping for the best :smile:

edited to add:

They have a website under construction: http://zironis.com/

Edited by run2eat (log)

Joey is well connected, and his partner is Italian and will be in charge of the pizza end of things. They are having licensing problems at the moment, but are determined to get it up and running. Neither one of them has previous restaurant experience though.

I wish them luck.

City Food reports that Finest at Sea is opening up in the space beside Lobster Man on Granville Island. Apparently they took over the Granville Island Smokery spot at the end of April, will renovate, then open in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Anne

Some more on the new Burgoo here, but what is really causing me to salivate is the impending arrival of La Quercia. 2008 is going to be nowhere near as busy as 2007 on the openings front, but those few notables on the horizon (Loden, La Quercia, Irish Heather 2.0, and DB Bistro Moderne) are worthy of anticipation. It'll be a good summer.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Anybody know what happened to the Smoking Crust on MacDonald?  Their number seems to be permanently "temporarily busy."  and I read elsewhere they were papered up.  :sad:

They were for sale for a long time, guess no one bit. Maybe La Buca's chance.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Meinhardt on Granville is branching out to become a mini grocery store empire. I noticed a sign today saying that a new 15,000 sq. ft location will be opening up at Arbutus & 16th next to the Ridge Theatre. I seem to vaguely remember there used to be a grocery store in that block a number of years ago, so it'll be good for that neighbourhood to have one there again. The nearest one at the moment is the Safeway a couple of blocks south on Arbutus.

I did a little searching and it looks like Meinhardt isn't stopping with one new store. Calgary's Mount Royal District will be getting their own Meinhardt's in a couple of years. They'll also be coming out with their own line of condiments and sweets:

Meinhardt's long range planning

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Anybody know what happened to the Smoking Crust on MacDonald?  Their number seems to be permanently "temporarily busy."  and I read elsewhere they were papered up.   :sad:

They were for sale for a long time, guess no one bit. Maybe La Buca's chance.

When we were at La Buca on Sunday, I overheard one of the servers (Simon I think his name is) telling another guest that a Greek resto was going in to the old Smoking Crust space. There was a gent in there bashing away at something with a hammer when we left so things are happening.