• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Looks like another Japanese noodle house will be joining Kintaro and Motomachi Shokudo on and around Denman Street. Benkei Noodle shop is opening in mid-January at 1743 Robson Street between Bidwell and Denman.

Yes, and my Japanese sensei swears by it. "It's better and more authentic than Kintaro!"

her words, not mine.

Drove by Dona Cata on Victoria today and experienced a moment of horror at the empty premises and for lease sign. Horror receded when we drove a couple of blocks more and discovered it has only moved to larger digs -- didn't catch the exact address but it is still on the east side of the street, just a bit further north. Phew.

Edited by grayelf (log)

Looks like the new (under construction) Pinkys on W. 4th has received the dreaded STOP Work notice from the city. Seems they removed the facade and gutted the space without the convenience of a permit.....

Looks like it'll cost them double for a new permit although someone told me that it could cost them 60 days delay (not sure about that one).

Funny thing is; the name that the Stop Work notice was addressed to is Swiss Bakery which was the original tenant years and years ago.

Looks like the new (under construction) Pinkys on W. 4th has received the dreaded STOP  Work notice from the city. Seems they removed the facade and gutted the space without the convenience of a permit.....

Looks like it'll cost them double for a new permit although someone told me that it could cost them 60 days delay (not sure about that one).

Funny thing is; the name that the Stop Work notice was addressed to is Swiss Bakery which was the original tenant years and years ago.

I would be surprised these guys (Browns/Pinky's) are serious about what they do, they must have gone the legit route in such a high profile location, it must be something other than permits, hopefully they are not delayed for 60 days.

Edited by FishGuy (log)

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

Looks like Fish restaurant on 4th has called it a day. Windows papered over, sign gone.

I think it has moved, but I can't remember where.

It will/has moved to the Sea Shanty location on Yew around Abigail's Party area.

1629 Yew St next door Cafe Zen, hoping to open by the end of Jan

We are open - at the moment only from 5 - 10 pm - a short breaking in period

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

*rumor* A new Tim Horton’s will be opening on the corner of Commercial Drive and First in the strip mall; one tenant has already closed and two others will be re locating across the hallway.

Anyone else heard about this?

*rumor* A new Tim Horton’s will be opening on the corner of Commercial Drive and First in the strip mall; one tenant has already closed and two others will be re locating across the hallway.

Anyone else heard about this?

God I hope this isn't true.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

When my husband was last in Marpole, he was sorry to see that King's Fare is gone.

Does anyone know if they've moved to another location?

That is sad! No one else did the deep-fried thing quite like the KF, and the staff were great.

The new Save-on-Foods at the corner of Cambie and 7th looks like it'll be opening soonish since they've started the hiring process. I wonder if all those grocery stores will survive - there's also a Whole Foods coming in addition to Safeway, Capers, and Choices.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 1 month later...
Budapest on Main and 16th has closed. Does anyone know whether they have relocated?

Too bad if they are gone for good. In addition to the Hungarian food (plate size schnitzels etc.), they had some killer old school pastries. Specifically, a very decadent and large Mille Feuille.

Budapest on Main and 16th has closed. Does anyone know whether they have relocated?

Too bad if they are gone for good. In addition to the Hungarian food (plate size schnitzels etc.), they had some killer old school pastries. Specifically, a very decadent and large Mille Feuille.

NOOOOOOOOOOooo!! I loved their Transylvanian Wooden Platter with spaetzel :sad:

The Alpen Club on Victoria Drive is sadly just so-so, and the Old Bavaria Haus in New West is good, but Budapest Cafe's schnitzel was GREAT... they will be missed...

Has anyone tried Jagerhof Schnitzel House on Lonsdale?

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

The Alpen Club on Victoria Drive is sadly just so-so, and the Old Bavaria Haus in New West is good, but Budapest Cafe's schnitzel was GREAT... they will be missed...

I just did a quick Google and can't find any other references except DineHere which says it is closed. No more langos and goulash on cold days -- sniff.

I am very sad about this also - Jagerhof is good on Lonsdale - but Budapest was really something else! They had very odd operating hours - closed early and slow service - part of their charm, but I am sure it hurt their bottom line.

Rare is closing and re-opening on May 4th.

Problem with the liquor license allowed us to close for an over-do clean-up and mini-reno. Pipes got fixed last week, vents this week. Paint, new glass tiles next week...

Maybe new chairs, street front patio.

Complete menu revamp.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

The new Save-on-Foods at the corner of Cambie and 7th looks like it'll be opening soonish since they've started the hiring process. I wonder if all those grocery stores will survive - there's also a Whole Foods coming in addition to Safeway, Capers, and Choices.

It's an interesting scenario, what with Whole Foods owning Capers and the Safeway at 12th and Cambie being maybe the worst Safeway in existence. I fear for Choices.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

When my husband was last in Marpole, he was sorry to see that King's Fare is gone.

Does anyone know if they've moved to another location?

That is sad! No one else did the deep-fried thing quite like the KF, and the staff were great.

No way! Shit. I love King's Fare. When my dad moved to Van back in the 70s he used to run a food-court stall next door to King's Fare in Pacific Center.....I remember always going down there, and then their 'new' location off Granville.

Even living in the UK, I always compared my Fish'n'Chips to Kings Fair (and only a few have exceeded theirs). Sad!

I am very sad about this also - Jagerhof is good on Lonsdale - but Budapest was really something else! They had very odd operating hours - closed early and slow service - part of their charm, but I am sure it hurt their bottom line.

Very sad indeed. I'll miss their langos, their schnitzels, their chicken parpikash, and their various desserts. I wonder what happened? True, they always maintained odd hours, but lately the restaurant would be closed for weeks at a time.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com