• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Say it isn't so. The pancakes were great. When did they close?

Moment of silence for the venerable Nemoto Cafe on Broadway. We've been going for 25 years, such that we even developed a verb for it: to neem. Many of the world's problems were solved in that humble front window looking across at the Hollywood Theatre... I'll miss the caffeine and bacon-grease induced "rattles"...

Say it isn't so. The pancakes were great.  When did they close?
Moment of silence for the venerable Nemoto Cafe on Broadway. We've been going for 25 years, such that we even developed a verb for it: to neem. Many of the world's problems were solved in that humble front window looking across at the Hollywood Theatre... I'll miss the caffeine and bacon-grease induced "rattles"...

I'm afraid it is. I called this afternoon and spoke to the lovely women who waited tables. Her English is a bit dodgy but I understood that the place has been sold. I'm not exactly sure when they quit serving but fairly recently. So sad.

Edited by grayelf (log)

Hi, I've had two great weekend dim sum's at the new Shun Feng in the north-west corner of Parker Place, Richmond.

The restaurant is managed by the former manager of Sun Sui Wah, Richmond.  This is now my fav spot after going to Sun Sui Wah for 15 years (we had our wedding reception at Sun Sui Wah).

They've been very busy both times.  Ordering is by menu, not cart service.  IMHO, the food is lighter and has less soy-based flavours than Sun Sui Wah would.  Portion size has been very good.

Of note: the scallops and prawns in both a congee and rice soup were cooked absolutely perfectly and were much better than the typical noodle-house congee's for the same price ($6).  A good number of the dim sum dishes were new (to me) and all very good.

site: http://www.shunfengrestaurant.com/

Went a week ago - very good dim sum. The place is hopping and the food is well made with clean fresh flavors. Highlight for me - Steamed Pork Toro with Lime - succulent porkbelly (not too fat) with the right hit of lime to lift and highlight the sweet porkiness. Delicous.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Yew at the Four Seasons opened for service today. I had a look last night (video) and it's plenty swish. Still no idea as to what the menu looks like, but the little bits being passed around were swell. Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

• 2 weeks later...
It looks like IGA will be opening up a new store at the corner of Robson & Richards. I checked out their website and they have TWO other stores coming soon - 4th & Collingwood and Broadway & Vine.

The new IGA store at Robson & Richards has just opened. The store at W. Broadway & Vine opened at the beginning of November with a London Drugs next door. Apparently the W. Broadway & Maple store will eventually close, to be replaced possibly by a Home Depot.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like another Japanese noodle house will be joining Kintaro and Motomachi Shokudo on and around Denman Street. Benkei Noodle shop is opening in mid-January at 1743 Robson Street between Bidwell and Denman.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like Fish restaurant on 4th has called it a day. Windows papered over, sign gone.

I think it has moved, but I can't remember where.

It will/has moved to the Sea Shanty location on Yew around Abigail's Party area.

1629 Yew St next door Cafe Zen, hoping to open by the end of Jan

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

I heard that Splitz Grill (the original is in Whistler) has just opened up on Main Street, just south of King Edward and a 5 minute drive from my home.

Goodbye New Year's Resolution....

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

A new Chinese resto/teahouse has opened in the location where the Phillipine cafe was on Broadway just west of Granville (north side). It wasn't open in the a.m. when I passed by so I couldn't investigate further.

Good to hear about Splitz finally opening, Quattroporte. The papered over windows and tantalizing sign have been teasing me (and others) for months -- see upthread. I've never tried a Splitz burger in Whistler so am looking forward to acquainting myself with that particular delicacy.

• 2 weeks later...

Walked by the Chianti's location on 4th Ave today and it is no more. Looks like they've leased it and started demolition but I couldn't see an indication of what it will be. Anyone know if the place will still be a resto? I was never a fan of the food at Chianti's but I hate to see a neighbourhood joint disappear...

Just noticed Burgers Etc. on Hastings in Burnaby is papered over? What happened there?

Also, same 'hood, Heavenly Bites finally looks like they're getting going: sign painted on window, tables and chairs inside. No firm open date yet, tho.

We posted about it a couple of months ago over at Urban Diner (linkage). It's been taken over by the Glowbal Group and it'll be a stylish Italian trat with dishes under $20. Demolition started a few days ago.

Thanks, musta missed that... bad UD reader, bad :biggrin: ... but not quite as bad as buddy who ranted on your site about the change. Sheesh.

Burgers etc is on holidays.

Just noticed Burgers Etc. on Hastings in Burnaby is papered over? What happened there?

Also, same 'hood, Heavenly Bites finally looks like they're getting going: sign painted on window, tables and chairs inside. No firm open date yet, tho.

Burgers etc  is on holidays.

why paper over then?

They will re open Feb 1st. As far as the paper you will have ask them on the 1st.

Burgers etc  is on holidays.

why paper over then?

Kim Saigon moved from the somewhat grungy market on Hastings and opened a restaurant on Main & Pender, Golden Garden Vietnamese Cuisine (on Main beside the CIBC bank). Still makes the best Vietnamese banh mi for takeout, still a great deal, now $3.15...love the meatball ones. Kim also owns the restaurant.

And what happened to Amadeus pizza? That space is for sale or rent.