• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

A few changes on Denman:

- Bob and Stella’s Chicken and Ribs is opening in the Olympia Restaurant block

- KoKo Chocolate Creations opening in the former Capstone Tea location

- Indica was dark

- Milestone’s is renovating

- Cookies by George is still not open but there are signs of activity

- I didn’t make it as far as Schnitzelz but it wasn’t open last time I walked by

Cheers,

Anne

Just coming back from a week in San Francisco and expected to see that Pied a Terre is open. Andre are you up and running yet? Anyone know and/or been there, I have a friend coming in from TO on Monday and was going to take her there.

i heard there's a new all-you-can-eat sukiyaki restaurant that just opened today on broadway (@ burrard) where golden szechuan restaurant used to be. $10 for lunch, $16 for dinner (from my foggy memory).

and apparently they serve alberta beef...and they're canada's (north america's?) first specialty sukiyaki restaurant.

it's within spitting distance from my work, so i'll just have to try it very soon!

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

i heard there's a new all-you-can-eat sukiyaki restaurant that just opened today on broadway (@ burrard) where golden szechuan restaurant used to be. $10 for lunch, $16 for dinner (from my foggy memory).

and apparently they serve alberta beef...and they're canada's (north america's?) first specialty sukiyaki restaurant.

it's within spitting distance from my work, so i'll just have to try it very soon!

Is it Posh? I know the Richmond place was planning to expand.

Is it Posh? I know the Richmond place was planning to expand.

it is Posh!

new location also mentioned on the Posh website.

Edited by flowbee (log)
album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

The Four Seasons Vancouver have released some details on their new restaurant...

Opening December 11th, 2007, YEW restaurant + bar at Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver represents a new level of sophistication for West Coast design and cuisine. Named for the rare indigenous Pacific Yew tree, YEW restaurant + bar will provide an ideal escape in the heart of the city.

If you want to read the full release, we have it up at UD here.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

sad to say that duffin's on main closes tommorow, so long tasty as hell sammies, i know about the knight street location but am never over that way

:shock: No wonder there was quite a showing last night when I popped by! I was beginning to think it wasn't closing after all!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Hi, I've had two great weekend dim sum's at the new Shun Feng in the north-west corner of Parker Place, Richmond.

The restaurant is managed by the former manager of Sun Sui Wah, Richmond. This is now my fav spot after going to Sun Sui Wah for 15 years (we had our wedding reception at Sun Sui Wah).

They've been very busy both times. Ordering is by menu, not cart service. IMHO, the food is lighter and has less soy-based flavours than Sun Sui Wah would. Portion size has been very good.

Of note: the scallops and prawns in both a congee and rice soup were cooked absolutely perfectly and were much better than the typical noodle-house congee's for the same price ($6). A good number of the dim sum dishes were new (to me) and all very good.

site: http://www.shunfengrestaurant.com/

From an Urban Diner report last month:

I haven’t heard a peep from the peeps behind it but I hear it’s the Scott Morrison side of the Browns chain (Cactus Club clones) trying to do a “high end” steakhouse in two locations at once, one in Yaletown in the old LK Dining Lounge location and the other in Kits in the old Thai Yummy spot. I’d wager a plate of chili chicken and some short skirt service that Pinkys will be popular with the CFD crowd, but both locations are tough. The full name is Pinkys Steakhouse and Cocktail Lounge. The Yaletown opening is slated for the end of November…more info as it arrives…

They also have a website up.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Thanks for quick feedback.

From an Urban Diner report last month:

I haven’t heard a peep from the peeps behind it but I hear it’s the Scott Morrison side of the Browns chain (Cactus Club clones) trying to do a “high end” steakhouse in two locations at once, one in Yaletown in the old LK Dining Lounge location and the other in Kits in the old Thai Yummy spot. I’d wager a plate of chili chicken and some short skirt service that Pinkys will be popular with the CFD crowd, but both locations are tough. The full name is Pinkys Steakhouse and Cocktail Lounge. The Yaletown opening is slated for the end of November…more info as it arrives…

They also have a website up.

The folks at Cassis Bistro just opened up a food-to-go joint at the Oakridge Center food court, Lunchbox Bistro. They've got several hot entrees (organic braised beef, free range butter chicken, a couple others) and 3 cold salads. Everything is available as either a bowl or a wrap, around $7-$9. I had the Moroccan Couscous Salad in a wrap, and for a joint in a fast food court, it was pretty good! Sure beats oily fries and limp sandwiches.

They've been there for about a week. Nice to have something tasty and relatively healthy while Xmas shopping!

Hi, I've had two great weekend dim sum's at the new Shun Feng in the north-west corner of Parker Place, Richmond.

The restaurant is managed by the former manager of Sun Sui Wah, Richmond.  This is now my fav spot after going to Sun Sui Wah for 15 years (we had our wedding reception at Sun Sui Wah).

They've been very busy both times.  Ordering is by menu, not cart service.  IMHO, the food is lighter and has less soy-based flavours than Sun Sui Wah would.  Portion size has been very good.

Of note: the scallops and prawns in both a congee and rice soup were cooked absolutely perfectly and were much better than the typical noodle-house congee's for the same price ($6).  A good number of the dim sum dishes were new (to me) and all very good.

site: http://www.shunfengrestaurant.com/

Thanks for the heads up - looks like a very busy and handsome room. My understanding is that the floor manager is ex-Sea Harbour - so the place looks like it is in good hands.

Looking forward to trying the dim sum.

A few changes on Denman:

- Indica was dark

- I didn’t make it as far as Schnitzelz but it wasn’t open last time I walked by

- Cookies by George has just opened.

- Indica is papered up and will become something called "ReaL", serving "Urban Chinese Specialty", no idea what that means.

A few changes on Denman:

- Indica was dark

- Cookies by George has just opened.

- Indica is papered up and will become something called "ReaL", serving "Urban Chinese Specialty", no idea what that means.

What was supposed to be Bob and Stella's Chicken and Ribs is now Fun-o-rama.

Quentina

Moment of silence for the venerable Nemoto Cafe on Broadway. We've been going for 25 years, such that we even developed a verb for it: to neem. Many of the world's problems were solved in that humble front window looking across at the Hollywood Theatre... I'll miss the caffeine and bacon-grease induced "rattles"...