• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

The building that used to house Monsoon and the old Soma is now "caffe barney".  The "south" part (the old Soma), subtitled "coffee", is now open; while the "north" part (Monsoon), subtitled "food and drink", is not.

So it's exactly the same name as Caffe Barney on Granville? It's not even "Caffe Barney on Main" or something like that?

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Just noticed that "Pinky's" is starting to remodel the old LK Dining Room space.

I think the restaurant is related to this:

Police in Vancouver believe they have arrested the No. 1 madam in the Lower Mainland: A female pimp named "Pinky" who allegedly made more than $1 million a year from the sexual services provided by Korean women entering Canada as tourists.

But will it serve Korean food or perhaps more basic jail-type cuisine. (Anyone know what's on the menu in jail lately? It's been a while).

Gastronomista

The all too covert Splitz has opened on Main Street in Vancouver (as opposed to their original location on Main Street in Whistler)

Splitz

4242 Main Street

Vancouver, BC V5V 3P9

(604) 875-9702

(604) 875-9711

Somewhere between 26th and 27th Ave. Looking forward to sampling their tasty burgers!

Edited by fud (log)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

The building that used to house Monsoon and the old Soma is now "caffe barney".  The "south" part (the old Soma), subtitled "coffee", is now open; while the "north" part (Monsoon), subtitled "food and drink", is not.

I will never darken its door.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Splitz is not open!

I walked by the location at 7:45 tonight and the windows continue to be papered over.

Fud, what is your source? :huh:

chowman

The all too covert Splitz has opened on Main Street in Vancouver (as opposed to their original location on Main Street in Whistler)

Splitz

4242 Main Street

Vancouver, BC V5V 3P9

(604) 875-9702

(604) 875-9711

Somewhere between 26th and 27th Ave.  Looking forward to sampling their tasty burgers!

Is there room for dessert?

Sorry chowman I was misinformed. My friend has been summarily flogged. I walked there myself tonight and found out the samw sad news.

There is also no indication of when it be open.

Splitz is not open!

I walked by the location at 7:45 tonight and the windows continue to be papered over.

Fud, what is your source?  :huh:

chowman 

Splitz

4242 Main Street

Vancouver, BC V5V 3P9

(604) 875-9702

(604) 875-9711

Somewhere between 26th and 27th Ave.  Looking forward to sampling their tasty burgers!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Just returned from our annual visit to Vancouver Island with some limited news concerning Tofino.

Had been looking forward to returning to Matthias Conradi's Pasticceria Conradi upstairs ...in the building across the street from the government liquor store... as we had enjoyed the thin crust pizza and especially the pastries during past visits.

However, it was closed upon our arrival and then while there...I think on the 13th... re-opened as the new location for SOBO. No sign of the "catering truck".

I popped in later in the week and a decent "killer" fish taco and a very good bowl of curried cauliflower soup.

It was literally "early days" for the restaurant but from the brief chat I had with my server, I think their intention is to serve what SOBO has been serving in the past.

There was no deep frier, so the yam fries were not on offer.

The hanging chalkboards indicated the daily specials: 3 pizzas along with several soups.

I believe she indicated they were to open for lunch closing in late afternoon, then breakfast and dinner on the week-ends when I expect they get busier with the arrival of the week-end surfing and particularly "storm watching" customers.

I will never darken its door.

why ?

Perhaps something to do with this?

Karen Dar Woon

Specialty cookware store Williams-Sonoma opening December 1st on South Granville.

Looks like there's a job fair on Thursday afternoon at the Roundhouse if anyone's interested:

craigslist ad

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Although I haven't seen it myself Coco Olive on W. Broadway (near Alma) has apparently closed with a for rent sign in the window. I know they had talked of opening another location but I'm surprised they've closed this one as the owner had done a lot of his own work inside and it was quite popular. Perhaps a case of the landlord blues?

Hell has frozen over.

Rob Feenie leaves Lumiere & Feenies

In a statement, his publicist said: "Rob Feenie has terminated his relationship with Lumiere and Feenie's due to breaches of his employment contract by the majority owner of the restaurants. These breaches severely diminished his responsibilities in both kitchens and in external marketing."

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)