• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

As the Cambie saga continues with the negative spin of restaurant closings those of us who have been around long enough know that one restauranteur's bummer is another's opportunity.

Tomato Cafe which closed recently (but has already reopened in the Mark James space) is slated to be a Cajun style restaurant with Alberta owners.

Don Don Noodle, which was in the press today as closing is rumoured to have been taken over by the boys from Parkside/La Buca.

And so it goes.

Tried to go to Chilo's on Richards last night but they are closed for the near future. I spoke to a guy in the business next door and he said that the city had closed them for operating without a license and other health related issues.

Tried to go to Chilo's on Richards last night but they are closed for the near future.  I spoke to a guy in the business next door and he said that the city had closed them for operating without a license and other health related issues.

Is the Chilo's on Victoria Drive still there or did they move to Richards?

I have a hankering for some really tasty quesadilla's

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I recently ate at the newly opened Sultri in Port Moody. This restaurant has an impressive list of chefs with credentials and the addition of fine dining in the Tri-cities is certainly welcome.

A few comments but sorry no pictures... the menu is short in nature but huge in variety. The starters are a mix of typical west-coast dishes such as calamari but also French influences such as a Gruyere and onion tart (which was lovely I might add).

The next portion of the menu is sushi which was a surprise. My wife ordered one of the roles and it was excellent. Fresh fish, nicely presented and a sizable portion with 8 pieces.

Our entrees were very well prepared as well - my wife chose the duo of lamb (medallions and a lamb stuffed canneloni) and I the paella. Both were very well prepared and presented. Plates were cleaned off.

The wine list is great - about 50 wines on the public list with about half being available by the glass. This offered us to choose a glass for each course - something I really liked.

None the less, we enjoyed our evening at Sultri. And yes, there was no bbq on the menu - that was a nice option too.

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Tried to go to Chilo's on Richards last night but they are closed for the near future.  I spoke to a guy in the business next door and he said that the city had closed them for operating without a license and other health related issues.

Is the Chilo's on Victoria Drive still there or did they move to Richards?

I have a hankering for some really tasty quesadilla's

As far as I know, Chilo still has his Victoria taqueria going ... my understanding is the Richards location was a franchise arrangement and Chilo was just supplying his name and the cooked food from his place on Victoria.

Whomever is running the Richards location, I hope they get their act together and re-open soon.

The Richards location seems to have had some major problems with the inspector: Vancouver inspection report including not having a health permit or business license among a bunch of other things. First time I've seen a report on that system talking about calling the police to verify that they do not re-open!

Here is the quote:

Two complaints received that this facility which was issued a Closure Order was open and serving food over the weekend. A site visit was done June 5th with Bill McIntyre. The facility was not open at this time and the Closure letter was still on the door but not in the same place as originally posted and the corners were ripped off (photo taken) indicating that the letter has been taken off at least once despite the owners being told that the letter was not to be removed until I came down to remove it myself. Contacted VPD Sergeant Wally Argent (left msg) regarding this matter and he left a message he'd be happy to do patrols over the weekend to see if they are open and shut them down if needed...

Similarly the Victoria St. location is reported as closed too: report .

Here is a quote from that:

met with Eric Solis, owner He has voluntarily closed this facility for a couple of days, as he is busy dealing with the closure of his other restaurant in downtown.

Oy!

Walked past the old Tomato cafe on Cambie today and was thrilled to see it is to become a second Dadeo's Cajun and Creole Diner and Bar. Whoop! Ate at the location in Edmonton a couple of weeks ago--great calamari in a light, crispy batter and big fat juicy Po-boys. Yeehaw!!!!!

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Walked past the old Tomato cafe on Cambie today and was thrilled to see it is to become a second Dadeo's Cajun and Creole Diner and Bar. Whoop! Ate at the location in Edmonton a couple of weeks ago--great calamari in a light, crispy batter and big fat juicy Po-boys. Yeehaw!!!!!

wow, aren't they on whyte ave in e-town? i had a catfish poboy there years ago! i remember i enjoyed it. i gotta try this new location!

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

So ShoreClub is open, Goldfish is open and Metro is, apparently, open.

Just a couple of thoughts:

1) Aren't the people going to ShoreClub just going to be the ones who were already going to Gotham ?

2) Does Metro need a bit of PR ? I had a table in last night who had tried to go to Metro but couldn't find it !!

3) Who is going to fill all these seats, plus Player's, Italian Kitchen and a new Keg in Yaletown, come November ?

Just wondering.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

So ShoreClub is open, Goldfish is open and Metro is, apparently, open.

Just a couple of thoughts:

1) Aren't the people going to ShoreClub just going to be the ones who were already going to Gotham ?

2) Does Metro need a bit of PR ? I had a table in last night who had tried to go to Metro but couldn't find it !!

3) Who is going to fill all these seats, plus Player's, Italian Kitchen and a new Keg in Yaletown, come November ?

Just wondering.

I think tourists will make up a good share of the business for the summer/cruise ship season. Along with cash rich servers after shift and the growing population of young childless professionals now residing downtown.

SB

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Good questions, Warren, although Metro isn't officially open. There are 24 new restaurants in the summer of 2007. It is unprecedented. Are there enough customers to go around? We'll see...

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Metro I believe opended its doors on the 18th, from what I was told by Tim.

I will be checking it out Metro in the next couple weeks along with goldfish in yaletown. I will post pictures as soon as I do :smile: .

Any dish recomendations Andrew?

Edited by D90 (log)

Metro I believe opended its doors on the 18th, from what I was told by Tim.

I will be checking it out Metro in the next couple weeks along with goldfish in yaletown. I will post pictures as soon as I do  :smile: .

Any dish recomendations Andrew?

Metro did not want to do any pre-opening PR and marketing for various reasons including wanting to feel un-pressured about the opening date and having an opportunity to work through their menu nice and slowly. It opened very quietly yesterday just in time for a close friends wedding they are hosting there this Saturday night, however, they are not at full steam yet with a few missing pieces of furniture and decor, a lot of the lounge and patio furniture still not in, and a bit of finishing carpentry work to be done. But having said that, because the kitchen’s ready they have decided to open their doors, taking a maximum of 40 people over lunch or dinner and offering a 10% discount on the menu while they remain in "soft opening". In other words, they are not ready for reviews or to be checked out in any great numbers but looking to build slowly to a time that they feel comfortable that all is really finished and ready for full inspection.

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

In other words, they are not ready for reviews or to be checked out in any great numbers but looking to build slowly to a time that they feel comfortable that all is really finished and ready for full inspection.

But will that work? The food media here seems to enjoy converging on a place within minutes of any kind of opening.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Here we go again! Shall we all debate this concept again? Is it fair to review a restaurant in the first days of opening? No? Or if they are open, they are open, 10% discount or not?

IMO - If you review a place in the first stages, at least mention that it has just opened and that it may be going through some growing pains.

Gastronomista

one review in already:

http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=2604

Here we go again!  Shall we all debate this concept again?  Is it fair to review a restaurant in the first days of opening?  No?  Or if they are open, they are open, 10% discount or not?

IMO - If you review a place in the first stages, at least mention that it has just opened and that it may be going through some growing pains.

Here we go again!  Shall we all debate this concept again?  Is it fair to review a restaurant in the first days of opening?  No?  Or if they are open, they are open, 10% discount or not?

I wasn't attempting to start a debate over whether it is right or wrong to review a restaurant in its first week or so, but simply stating that given the precedent, it will almost certainly happen. Right or wrong, it is what it is. Vancouver simply doesn't have, or perhaps it can't support a dominant paper like a Washington Post or NY Times that can afford to allow its reviewer to visit a restaurant 3 or more times, and hold off on a review for a few weeks, while smaller rags dig in.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net