• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

I have it on good authority, that the city actually wanted a larger sign, they actually made them make it bigger.

why would the city do that? and.. what place does the city have on restaurant signage? are they gonna start asking restaurants to design their logos in a certain way, too? make them fit in with the condos? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I *think* Gerald's remark was in jest, but FYI, the City of Vancouver (like most cities) has guidelines and regulations about signage of all sorts, so that residential neighbourhoods don't end up looking like Times Square, for example.

Yes I'm aware of that, but I thought it was mostly regulating against indecency and neon lights (even though it IS Granville).. I just had no idea that they were nazi-regulators when it comes to conforming the neighbourhood to a certain way. I mean they might as well be telling the designer to make the places look a certain way to "conform" with the gentrified neighbourhood.

Seriously I wasn't kidding, the person that told me might have been, but wasn't

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Squamish has a couple of new places. Sushi Sen on Diamond Head Road in Garibaldi Highlands (behind Chevron) recently opened. Seems to be somewhat sporadic on the opening hours so far. Whistler and Pemberton's popular Wild Wood Bistro is opening a Squamish location on June 1st at the Mountain Retreat Hotel on Highway 99.

I have it on good authority, that the city actually wanted a larger sign, they actually made them make it bigger.

why would the city do that? and.. what place does the city have on restaurant signage? are they gonna start asking restaurants to design their logos in a certain way, too? make them fit in with the condos? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I *think* Gerald's remark was in jest, but FYI, the City of Vancouver (like most cities) has guidelines and regulations about signage of all sorts, so that residential neighbourhoods don't end up looking like Times Square, for example.

Yes I'm aware of that, but I thought it was mostly regulating against indecency and neon lights (even though it IS Granville).. I just had no idea that they were nazi-regulators when it comes to conforming the neighbourhood to a certain way. I mean they might as well be telling the designer to make the places look a certain way to "conform" with the gentrified neighbourhood.

Seriously I wasn't kidding, the person that told me might have been, but wasn't

The Boston Pizza here in Mission had to make their sign considerably smaller than they had planned due to city regulations.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

It seems the Kintaro in Richmond is no more. Last day was apparently May 13th from the notice on their door. Anyone have info on why that might be?

A new restaurant (with a Japanese name) is to open in that same space soon.

Railspur Bistro Cafe has changed owners.  Apparently as of June 1 it will be called Agro-cafe and focus on sustainable coffee.  Anyone know if it will still have food at all?

I'm going to miss those Railspur burgers and Merguez baguettes!

Cheers!

Agro cafe has an existing location in Yaletown. It's decent. I haven't been since their roaster was installed, but there seems to be passion in the ownership - and that's always a good first step!

Barrett Jones - 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Dwell Time - my coffee and photography site

• 2 weeks later...

I had a quick peek into Boneta two nights ago. It is going to be a smashing looking room. Nice long bar, a wine room for Neil, and a pretty hot espresso machine. Colour scheme and arcitectural elements really show off the room.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Any idea when the new Urban fare at West Pender and Bute will be opening? Their sign mentions a coffee bar and restaurant; I hope they mean a real restaurant rather than the food court they have at the Yaletown location.

SB

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Any idea when the new Urban fare at West Pender and Bute will be opening? Their sign mentions a coffee bar and restaurant; I hope they mean a real restaurant rather than the food court they have at the Yaletown location.

SB

It's probably going to be the same as the one in Yaletown. They refer to their existing Davie St. setup as a "Coffee Bar/ Restaurant".

Urban Fare Coffee Bar/ Restaurant

In a related neighbourhood note, I just noticed on the weekend that the Joyeaux Cafe on Pender near Bute is gone. And by gone I mean it's now just a big hole in the ground with one of those "Development Application" signs out in front. Although I never went, it was nice to walk by and see one of the last (THE last?) stand-alone diners in the area not to fall to the wrecking ball.

Although the original building is gone, the Joyeaux Cafe looks like it will live on at a location on Howe St, just north of Mario's Coffee Express.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

New restaurant going in next to Chambar.

Awwwwwww Andrew...I was so pleased to hear about a Belgian waffle place opening up - especially from the owners of Chambar! But when I talked with some of the Chambar staff last week they said it's probably going be a "Mediterranean-theme cafe". :hmmm:

Vancouver Belgian waffle lovers everywhere...get out your crying towels.

Not sure if it's been posted  about yet or not, but this was mentioned in an email received today from the Farmers Market Society:

"The New Kitsilano Market will open mid-Juy and run until mid-October, Sundays 10am – 2 pm location to be determined."

Great news!

Any idea where it will be held? Doesn't look like the site has been updated

After a long time lurking, I have some information to share, but I wish it was more positive:

At the last winter farmer's market, I was told by someone at the VFM membership table that the site for the Kitsilano farmer's market had had been a opposed by a couple of people who live nearby. Unfortunately, she said they would have to find a new site, which could not be done in time for this upcoming season.

Not sure if that is quite true at this point. I was also at the last Farmer's Market and although I was told the NIMBY factor among others is true there is still hope for a market somewhere in Kits. Time is getting short though for a June launch (and then they have to find some quality farm produce). Since both Trout Lake and the West End Farmer's Markets fall on the Saturday it'll be interesting to see who is available for the Sunday market with produce.

It appears to be a go! This is is what I heard from a friend today:

- A 14 week trial has been approved

- begins July 15, Sundays 10 am to 2 pm, until Oct 14

- Location: rinkside parking lot of the Kitsilano Community Centre- 2960 Larch Street.

I guess the public consultations and open house went well! The parks board planning committee minutes indicate 30+ vendors have committed to the Sunday market.

'burb report: Anducci's has opened up on Hastings, around Holdom, I think, in Burnaby. Beautiful room, actually, nice deck (if you can ignore the traffic). Just tried the Popeye pizza, pretty good!

Also on Hastings, around Willingdon, an Ethiopian restaurant. Haven't tried it but will report in when I do.

Heavenly Bites is apparently re-opening (had to close when their roof caved in at their old location on Hastings and Willingdon) farther along on Hastings at MacDonald, next door to the fish monger. No work has started, though, windows still papered. There's also a new Thai place next door to that but haven't had a chance to try it (they're always closed when I'm in the 'hood). Burnaby's Hastings looks like it's turning into the new Main, which is the new Commercial!

Chocoholics beware! A new chocolate shop called Monde Chocolat is opening soon on Burrard St @ 8th Ave. They're already putting some stock on the shelf. The shop will be taking over two storefronts so it's going to be a pretty large operation. The south shop looks like it will be retail, while the north shop might be wholesale.

First Chocoatl, then Mink, and now this! Are we in the midst of a fine chocolate boom in Vancouver?

Spoke to the owner and Heavenly Bites was supposed to try to reopen by the 15th if they could.

'burb report: Anducci's has opened up on Hastings, around Holdom, I think, in Burnaby. Beautiful room, actually, nice deck (if you can ignore the traffic). Just tried the Popeye pizza, pretty good!

Also on Hastings, around Willingdon, an Ethiopian restaurant. Haven't tried it but will report in when I do.

Heavenly Bites is apparently re-opening (had to close when their roof caved in at their old location on Hastings and Willingdon) farther along on Hastings at MacDonald, next door to the fish monger. No work has started, though, windows still papered. There's also a new Thai place next door to that but haven't had a chance to try it (they're always closed when I'm in the 'hood). Burnaby's Hastings looks like it's turning into the new Main, which is the new Commercial!

Chocoholics beware! A new chocolate shop called Monde Chocolat is opening soon on Burrard St @ 8th Ave. They're already putting some stock on the shelf. The shop will be taking over two storefronts so it's going to be a pretty large operation. The south shop looks like it will be retail, while the north shop might be wholesale.

First Chocoatl, then Mink, and now this! Are we in the midst of a fine chocolate boom in Vancouver?

Sounds great. I love Chocoatl but pretty disappointed with the chocolates at Mink.

SB

MY BLOG

Wow, can't imagine Heavenly Bites being open in a week. Just last Monday it was dark and papered over. Definitely no action going on. Maybe they're fast. Or maybe "the 15th" refers to some other month?