• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Railspur Bistro Cafe has changed owners. Apparently as of June 1 it will be called Agro-cafe and focus on sustainable coffee. Anyone know if it will still have food at all?

I'm going to miss those Railspur burgers and Merguez baguettes!

Cheers!

Double post on Urban Diner for clarity..

BROWNS OPENS TODAY AT 5 pm - BUT...

There seems to be some confusion. I have gotten several emails asking if I am going to the opening party at Brown's today. As Andrew reported they are opening today at 5 pm. Period. No opening party. They will do a Grand Opening later.

Gastronomista

listening to the food and wine show on cfun today, always pretty good show. the guys who own coast and global were on talking about their new italian restaurant beside tiffany's on alberni street. they were giving advice on opening restaurants. i suppose they can as they have been pretty successful but the one owner, imad? sure sounded pretty full of himself. they said the restaurant is going to have 180 seats with a tile floored gazebo in the front and a formal dining room in the back. downstairs will be a bar called d.o.c., i wonder if people will call in DOC? does anyone besides hotel guests eat in that area?

As panhandlers, my peeps and I are highly anticipating Boneta (once I got the name and characters right). Wine list by Neil Ingram...Mark Brand behind the bar, Jeremie Bastion on the stoves...

Good talent, hip location, what more could we hope for? I guess dancing girls and free elephant rides.

Edited so Andrew wouldn't fall totally asleep.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

Boneta coming to Gastown.

highly anticipated by who?

Looking at the talent, I'd say anyone who is familiar with the Vancouver restaurant industry.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I saw a new place in gastown where sugar and sugar was.  Don't remember the name.  ...stephen?

It's called Canvas Lounge and only open for private events as far as I can tell. I do know they have a small kitchen but most food seems to be trucked in by caterers.

SB

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The old Star of India restaurant in Gastown that closed last month looks to be a new Moroccan restaurant in the works. Marrakech Bistro is the name on the window.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The old Star of India restaurant in Gastown that closed last month looks to be a new Moroccan restaurant in the works. Marrakech Bistro is the name on the window.

Stephen Bonner

Ooh, looking forward to that! Wonder if it's the Bravo Bistro folks:

Bravo Bistro's owner sold to new owners from Korea. The sign on the door says it's re-opening as "Bliss" Asian Bistro on February 14th. They're busy in there tonight banging away at floor tiles. Not sure when it was sold, but I'm guessing it was prior to Saturday! :biggrin:

The previous owner is looking at opening a new place in Gastown with a more straightforward Moroccan theme.

West end report.

What was Fresgo's is now going to be called The Majestic.  Still under construction and have no idea what it's going to really be all about.

I reported on the Majestic a while ago. It seems to be moving along rather slowly.

The Majestic is opening in the old Fresgo Inn spot on Davie.  Here's the scoop according to CityFood:
Another neighbourhood restaurant in the final stages, although of a different mood entirely, is the Majestic in Davie Village. It’s a brand new “progressive”, “entertainment-driven”, resto-lounge on Davie Street that will cater to a particular mix from the area's gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender community (the GLBT). However, in billing themselves as “straight friendly” they want it also noted that they will warmly welcome guests of that other persuasion.

Did a drive by tonight and the Majestic looked like it was open and full.

Quentina

Word on the street is The Shore Club will be doing a trial run this coming weekend.

Too bad about the 10 metre high sign though! What an eye sore for a place coming across as a "posh" seafood place.

SB

Edited by SBonner (log)

MY BLOG

I was so looking forward to trying the Brazilian restaurant "Exotico"on Charles(at Commercial)out as a co worker of mine from Brazil recommended it to me; however today she told me it had closed! Does anyone know what happened there? Have they relocated?

Word on the street is The Shore Club will be doing a trial run this coming weekend.

Too bad about the 10 metre high sign though! What an eye sore for a place coming across as a "posh" seafood place.

SB

I agree. How did that sign get past city planning? It cheapens the Shore Club itself and the entire intersection. The new Holt's accross the street can't be happy about it either.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I have it on good authority, that the city actually wanted a larger sign, they actually made them make it bigger.

why would the city do that? and.. what place does the city have on restaurant signage? are they gonna start asking restaurants to design their logos in a certain way, too? make them fit in with the condos? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I have it on good authority, that the city actually wanted a larger sign, they actually made them make it bigger.

why would the city do that? and.. what place does the city have on restaurant signage? are they gonna start asking restaurants to design their logos in a certain way, too? make them fit in with the condos? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I *think* Gerald's remark was in jest, but FYI, the City of Vancouver (like most cities) has guidelines and regulations about signage of all sorts, so that residential neighbourhoods don't end up looking like Times Square, for example.

Whistler is an example of this, too, where the exteriors of buildings in the village conform to a certain "rustic" look, to maintain the ambience the RMOW wants to promote.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I *think* Gerald's remark was in jest, but FYI, the City of Vancouver (like most cities) has guidelines and regulations about signage of all sorts, so that residential neighbourhoods don't end up looking like Times Square, for example.

Yes I'm aware of that, but I thought it was mostly regulating against indecency and neon lights (even though it IS Granville).. I just had no idea that they were nazi-regulators when it comes to conforming the neighbourhood to a certain way. I mean they might as well be telling the designer to make the places look a certain way to "conform" with the gentrified neighbourhood.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf