• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Senses is apparently closing this weekend.  Too bad... I use to buy their mocha and brioche every morning when I worked around there.  I'm rarely in N. Van, it seems like such a hike to go buy Thomas Haas pastries.  Does anyone know whether they'll re-open in another location?

Are you serious :sad: Does this have to do with the hotel takeover or are they out of business?

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Taco Shack-formerly of Cornwall Street-is now in the 3100 block W. Broadway in the old Churro place.

Is this a Taco Shack #2 or did the first one close ?

Closed-but-they are supposed to be switching stores with Flying Wedge.

However it was supposed to happen in April and the paper is still up and no action to be seen just a construction sign.

Taco Shack-formerly of Cornwall Street-is now in the 3100 block W. Broadway in the old Churro place.

Is this a Taco Shack #2 or did the first one close ?

Closed-but-they are supposed to be switching stores with Flying Wedge.

However it was supposed to happen in April and the paper is still up and no action to be seen just a construction sign.

taco shack 1 (cornwall ave) will be re-opening this week. taco shack 2 opened on friday night

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have recommendations on fun new lounges/late night eats & drinks worth checking out? Spots with interesting cocktail lists, and I'm not too keen on "clubby" atmospheres. Chill Winston is currently on my list of places to go. Thanks! :smile:

Not sure if it's been posted  about yet or not, but this was mentioned in an email received today from the Farmers Market Society:

"The New Kitsilano Market will open mid-Juy and run until mid-October, Sundays 10am – 2 pm location to be determined."

Great news!

Any idea where it will be held? Doesn't look like the site has been updated

After a long time lurking, I have some information to share, but I wish it was more positive:

At the last winter farmer's market, I was told by someone at the VFM membership table that the site for the Kitsilano farmer's market had had been a opposed by a couple of people who live nearby. Unfortunately, she said they would have to find a new site, which could not be done in time for this upcoming season.

How surprising. I am pretty sick of a couple of people in Kits attempting to behave as if it is a gated community.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Not sure if it's been posted  about yet or not, but this was mentioned in an email received today from the Farmers Market Society:

"The New Kitsilano Market will open mid-Juy and run until mid-October, Sundays 10am – 2 pm location to be determined."

Great news!

Any idea where it will be held? Doesn't look like the site has been updated

After a long time lurking, I have some information to share, but I wish it was more positive:

At the last winter farmer's market, I was told by someone at the VFM membership table that the site for the Kitsilano farmer's market had had been a opposed by a couple of people who live nearby. Unfortunately, she said they would have to find a new site, which could not be done in time for this upcoming season.

Not sure if that is quite true at this point. I was also at the last Farmer's Market and although I was told the NIMBY factor among others is true there is still hope for a market somewhere in Kits. Time is getting short though for a June launch (and then they have to find some quality farm produce). Since both Trout Lake and the West End Farmer's Markets fall on the Saturday it'll be interesting to see who is available for the Sunday market with produce.

Thanks for the info Clover and eatrustic. I started to reply earlier but it was turning into a rant against NIMBYism :angry:

Ah well, I haven't given up hope. I wonder what's been done to survey the community and to solicit support?

Senses is apparently closing this weekend.  Too bad... I use to buy their mocha and brioche every morning when I worked around there.  I'm rarely in N. Van, it seems like such a hike to go buy Thomas Haas pastries.  Does anyone know whether they'll re-open in another location?

Are you serious :sad: Does this have to do with the hotel takeover or are they out of business?

I believe it is part of the hotel makeover, not going out of business.

Thank God I work in N. Van and can visit Thomas Haas at the mothership.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

West end report.

What was Fresgo's is now going to be called The Majestic. Still under construction and have no idea what it's going to really be all about.

Ambrozia on Denman is going to be Desi Dowtown an "Indian bar and lounge".

Quentina

Opening soon -2112 W. Broadway in the medical building near the corner of Arbutus: Transylvania Flavour Restaurant. No idea if it's related to the Transylvania Bakery. Could it be that the days of the Greek domination of W. Broadway are finally over with a new ethnic crowd moving in :wink: ?

West end report.

What was Fresgo's is now going to be called The Majestic.  Still under construction and have no idea what it's going to really be all about.

I reported on the Majestic a while ago. It seems to be moving along rather slowly.

The Majestic is opening in the old Fresgo Inn spot on Davie.  Here's the scoop according to CityFood:
Another neighbourhood restaurant in the final stages, although of a different mood entirely, is the Majestic in Davie Village. It’s a brand new “progressive”, “entertainment-driven”, resto-lounge on Davie Street that will cater to a particular mix from the area's gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender community (the GLBT). However, in billing themselves as “straight friendly” they want it also noted that they will warmly welcome guests of that other persuasion.

Cheers,

Anne

I believe it is part of the hotel makeover, not going out of business.

Thank God I work in N. Van and can visit Thomas Haas at the mothership.

You know I didn't get that impression from the note on the window. It was more in the vein of "it's been a slice, visit Thomas Haas in N Van from now on to get your fix"

Cheers,

Anne

Legendary Noodle from Main St. has opened up another location at 1074 Denman. Seems to have a similar menu to their place at 4191 Main, including the lamb noodles.

Cheers!

Flux:

West Coast with a hint of Asian. One of the staff from Monsoon seems to be behind it. Small compact wine list, small plates (10-16$), specials (20-$26).

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

On the corner of W. 4th Ave. and Vine, Brown's Social House is replacing The Vineyard. It seems to be going up very quickly.

Not only that but they are also about to open another one in Park Royal across from Whole Foods and Artigiano.

Don't know much about them except they already have a couple of locations but with the current labour market it's quite a logistical feat to go for openings so close together. They must have the pockets to finance but let's see if the head (corp.) chef can pull this off.

Stephen,

You are the official gastown expert!

" :cool: no just a hungry and thirsty resident for the last decade and I will take blame for a few wine lists in the cool places in my hood"

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

On the corner of W. 4th Ave. and Vine, Brown's Social House is replacing The Vineyard. It seems to be going up very quickly.

Not only that but they are also about to open another one in Park Royal across from Whole Foods and Artigiano.

Don't know much about them except they already have a couple of locations but with the current labour market it's quite a logistical feat to go for openings so close together. They must have the pockets to finance but let's see if the head (corp.) chef can pull this off.

Browns chef stuff:

The expansion of the chainlet (Lonsdale, West Van, 4th, and Yaletown locations) has attracted some new talent. Just prior to the new year, owners Derek Archer and Scott Morrison hired chef Brian Orrange (formerly of Tdot’s Far Niente) and have just acquired banquet chef Danny Markowicz off waivers from Diva at the Met.

The Vineyard location opens on Tuesday at 5pm.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine