• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

I was at a party on the weekend catered by the owner of Tomato Fresh Cafe. He mentioned that they will be taking over Mark James "Fiasco" -just off W. Broadway (man, I didn't even know it was still there).

They will be opening a branch of their Tomato's Cafe with a couple of twists.

I was at a party on the weekend catered by the owner of Tomato Fresh Cafe. He mentioned that they will be taking over Mark James "Fiasco" -just off W. Broadway (man, I didn't even know it was still there). 

They will be opening a branch of their Tomato's Cafe with a couple of twists.

will they name it Ketchup?! that'd be awesome.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

What happened to Pita Star on 3rd across from Swiss Bakery? Seems they are no longer open to the public. But I started seeing their pita available in various locations around town. Did they move to wholesale only?!?!?!?

Cheers!

The 'other' churro place on W. Broadway-3000 something near Parthenon-is gone as predicted.

Oh Sam, you old nattering nabob of negativity :laugh: You had them pegged from the start. I had hoped for some evolution but should have know better.

I think most of these places don't have any serious cooking ability and rely on a couple of mama's old recipes that don't quite work as well when scaled up for a crowd. Once they see the need to make changes they get lost and..... white knuckles on the wheel, they run the biz into the ground.

Chilo's Taquiera just opened on Richards, across from Atlantis.

I stopped in for lunch the day after seeing them on my way out of my favourite sushi joint and was overjoyed to see street style tacos in yaletown.

The al pastor and tongue tacos were great. The shrimp tacos were a hit surprisingly (2-3 good sized seared shrimp with cheese melted on top) and the quesadillas were good if a bit odd. (flour tortillas, meat, kraft tex-mex cheese mix (umm?) red onions and cilantro). Only two salsas to be had, but both were pretty good.

$1.50 tacos, $2 jarritos, $6.50 quesadillas. Cash only currently.

I'll be back.

I stopped in for lunch the day after seeing them on my way out of my favourite sushi joint and was overjoyed to see street style tacos in yaletown.

The al pastor and tongue tacos were great. The shrimp tacos were a hit surprisingly (2-3 good sized seared shrimp with cheese melted on top) and the quesadillas were good if a bit odd. (flour tortillas, meat, kraft tex-mex cheese mix (umm?) red onions and cilantro). Only two salsas to be had, but both were pretty good.

I'll be back.

I'm so happy, finally a great Taco in the hood ... that is if this is THE Chilo.

I'll be back.

I'm so happy, finally a great Taco in the hood ... that is if this is THE Chilo.

Yup, it is the same one. The address is 1351 Richards.

I ate at the new Chilo's last night - 3 pork tacos, and one beef. Also had a bite of the shrimp quesadilla. Everything was top-notch, including the lovely drips of fatty sauce from the pork that ran towards my elbows as I ate. These kinds of tacos are meant to be scarfed in a hurry, one after the other... Not licensed. $1.50/taco.

Sharon Regehr

Maple Hill Farms

I'll be back.

Same family? This is very exciting news! I love his wife who absolutely refused to take my order until I had the order down in Spanish.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Mink, a “coffee and chocolate bar”, has opened in the old Portfolio Gallery and Café space at the base of the Terminal City Club tower on Hastings. It’s got espresso and non-espresso coffee, featuring the Clover coffee brewing system which is supposed to be the latest and greatest. They also have lots of artisanal chocolate bars featuring pastel packaging, cute names and high prices – think $5.00 for a 50 gram chocolate bar. It’s nice and sleek looking, the chocolate was good, and the people were very nice the two times I’ve been in. They plan to offer Belgian waffles, chocolate fondues and a few other chocolate foods, but no savoury items as far as I can tell.

Here’s the website:

Mink Chocolates

Cheers,

Anne

It looks like Chow, the new spot at Granville @ 15th run by Jean-Cristophe Poirier (Lumière, C) is almost ready to open.

The interior looks very sleek. There's supposed to be a patio in the works as well.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Not sure if it's been posted about yet or not, but this was mentioned in an email received today from the Farmers Market Society:

"The New Kitsilano Market will open mid-Juy and run until mid-October, Sundays 10am – 2 pm location to be determined."

Great news!