• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Kei's Dining Bar (formerly "Umami") on Davie @ Seymour is closed and will be re-opened as "Mango's Fusion Restaurant".

I have no opinion about the restaurant, but is anyone else having visions of this Chris Kattan character running through their head?

I hear that this building has a demolition clause on it so don't expect too many design changes if the building is coming down by 2009.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Bravo Bistro at the foot of Denman is no more. An "Asian Bistro" is apparently set to open mid-month under new ownership.

I had a reso at Bravo Bistro for last Saturday. It is only the day before that I got an email through Opentable, explaining that the restaurant had closed down and could not honour our reservation :unsure:

Does anyone know what happened?

Really too bad, especially considering that there are so few places offering Moroccan-influenced food in Vancouver...

Edited by Little Frog (log)
Emmanuelle

Bravo Bistro's owner sold to new owners from Korea. The sign on the door says it's re-opening as "Bliss" Asian Bistro on February 14th. They're busy in there tonight banging away at floor tiles. Not sure when it was sold, but I'm guessing it was prior to Saturday! :biggrin:

The previous owner is looking at opening a new place in Gastown with a more straightforward Moroccan theme.

What happend to Curious in gastown? I never got a change to try the place and when called their number on Sunday and it was disconnected.

They closed in July.............................you are not quite current.

Sorry, when you get my age its hard to stay ontop of everything :blink:

What happend to Curious in gastown? I never got a change to try the place and when called their number on Sunday and it was disconnected.

They closed in July.............................you are not quite current.

Sorry, when you get my age its hard to stay ontop of everything :blink:

There is a joke dying to be inserted here, but it is too easy. Like shootig fish in a barrel.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Helen and I have been to Jules twice this week and highly recommend it for large filling portions of French bistro cuisine. Jules is a nice addition to my hood and just around the corner from SALT.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I hear the Curious on Powell Street is for sale for $50,000 and $7000 a month. Some nice renovations where done FOH and BOH but $7000 per month for the street :sad:

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

MY BLOG

I hear the Curious on Powell Street is for sale for $50,000 and $7000 a month. Some nice renovations where done FOH and BOH but $7000 per month for the street :sad:

Stephen

It's here on ICX

Joe, you kill me! How do you find this stuff? Interesting that my friend was quoted $16.800 less when he inquired three weeks ago. Great space but the monthly is too high.

Thanks,

Stephen

MY BLOG

Stephen

It's here on ICX

Joe, you kill me! How do you find this stuff? Interesting that my friend was quoted $16.800 less when he inquired three weeks ago. Great space but the monthly is too high.

Thanks,

Stephen

The listing could be old now. Perhaps the price is dropping.

I may have missed it in a previous post - but what happened that re-closed Dan, Modern Burger and Benny's Bagels? Is this related to the fire they had a while ago that had closed them the first time around?

Cheers!

I may have missed it in a previous post - but what happened that re-closed Dan, Modern Burger and Benny's Bagels?  Is this related to the fire they had a while ago that had closed them the first time around?

Cheers!

It sure looks like that from the street but Dan is actually open as usual (their window treatment looks like the papered windows of Moderne Burger). Moderne's sign says they are closed for renos to expand (finally) into the empty space next door.

The only one actually closed for fire damage is Benny's.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent happenings on Commercial Drive:

- A new pub has opened up @ Grant where Sash (and previously Bukowski's) used to be. I can't remember the pub's name, but it looks to have higher-end pub food and a decent beer list. Seems to be open at odd hours, maybe they're not "officially" open yet.

- Aroma (Coffee with Legs) has opened @ 2nd, and has been very busy every time I've walked by. Very dark interior, serves Cuppa Joe coffee.

- The old Zanzibar location (between 2nd & 3rd) has been replaced with Cafe Carthage, promising French and Tunisian cuisine. Opening soon.

- Morning Glory (a tea house) has opened, replacing a generic Italian cafe near Kitchener. Didn't get a chance to look inside.

- A new pub has opened up @ Grant where Sash (and previously Bukowski's) used to be. I can't remember the pub's name, but it looks to have higher-end pub food and a decent beer list. Seems to be open at odd hours, maybe they're not "officially" open yet.

It's called The Charlatan.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Recent happenings on Commercial Drive:

- A new pub has opened up @ Grant where Sash (and previously Bukowski's) used to be.  I can't remember the pub's name, but it looks to have higher-end pub food and a decent beer list.  Seems to be open at odd hours, maybe they're not "officially" open yet.

-

The Charlattan is owned by the boys from Elwoods and Five point. It is open at night, and I'm told brunch on the weekends. These guys are known for great ambiance, high quality pub food that has been tweaked up market by a french chef. open til 12 midnight as is most spots on the drive.

I hear the Aroma is run by some characters. Have to go and check it out.

Stopped by Papi's in Steveston today. Clean up from last month's fire has begun. Room layouts will be completely different from the previous dining room and (new) wine bar room, although there will still be two sides. Hoping to have new construction starting in April, with a summer opening.

Karen Dar Woon

- The old Zanzibar location (between 2nd & 3rd) has been replaced with Cafe Carthage, promising French and Tunisian cuisine.  Opening soon.

sounds interesting, hopefully will live up to Zanzibar.. and still have couscous on the menu !

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf