• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Hi Guys

Taco Shack will be moving next door in a flying wedge swap. 

Main st Vera's Opened tonight about 6pm, go in and say hi to luigi, a 6 year Vera's vet, who has now opened his very own.

Congratulations Gerald, how many Burger and Taco places is that now? I have lost track :smile:

Thanks, 7 Vera's, 1 Taco, wewant to get taco open next door before we start looking at other locations, we have really stabilized the food at taco, so now we need to fine tune the new store.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Gorilla Food - 424 Richards

Haven't seen this posted in this thread. A window on Richards St. downtown, serving raw food 11-6. I walked by today and picked up a smoothie (choco gorilla, with raw cacao nibs, cocoa butter, almonds, dates--very good) and a home-made living purple sauerkraut salad. Healthy lunch food downtown is something of a rarity as far as I can tell, so this is a welcome development. They've been open since September; apparently there was a mention in the Sun?

www.gorillafood.com

Kei's Dining Bar (formerly "Umami") on Davie @ Seymour is closed and will be re-opened as "Mango's Fusion Restaurant".

The space that used to be Umami had the owner/chef disappear somewhat mysteriously, and his sous chef (I think) reopened it as Kei's, as mentioned. Any word on who is opening Mango's - is it from someone associated with Kei's?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

The space that used to be Umami had the owner/chef disappear somewhat mysteriously,

If I'm thinking of the right person, he was at En before he opened Umami. He's now at Kingyo on Denman St. Lovely guy with a great knowledge of sake!

My muddled brain seems to think his name is Hiro.

Quentina

Kei's Dining Bar (formerly "Umami") on Davie @ Seymour is closed and will be re-opened as "Mango's Fusion Restaurant".

I have no opinion about the restaurant, but is anyone else having visions of this Chris Kattan character running through their head?

I have no opinion about the restaurant, but is anyone else having visions of this Chris Kattan character running through their head?

Exactly what I thought! :laugh:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

The space that used to be Umami had the owner/chef disappear somewhat mysteriously,

If I'm thinking of the right person, he was at En before he opened Umami. He's now at Kingyo on Denman St. Lovely guy with a great knowledge of sake!

Right person indeed! Oh, I'm glad to know where he resurfaced.

I've heard great things about Kingyo - must try. Is he FOH, doing the booze?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Hiro is in charge of the drinks and floor.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Hiro is in charge of the drinks and floor.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

The End Of An Era-First Ave Bread Garden Gone Forever

Well that it's a tiny piece of city history has bit the dust the First Ave Bread Garden is gone.

Whether done in by changing tastes or (IMO) gross mismanagement the 'hood will never be the same.

I could see it coming when the unspeakably dumb dorks in charge 'renovated' 2 years ago-totally idiocy in design.

Weird huh? Seems the same thing happened in Richmond, close to Kwantlen College. They were always packed, open late, that original decor but it worked. They closed down foooooorever to reno, finally opened in that horrid cold new style, now they are no more. Presumably the same will happen to the one in South Surrey/White Rock, if it hasn't happened yet (closing), the decor is gawd awful. :blink:

The Bread Garden in South Surrey is now no more.

Ah, well, not surprised, but thanks for letting us know. Slightly curious what might end up there in it's place, if you happen by that area in the future.

The old Bread Garden spot in South Surrey is going to become "Kuroishi Japanese Cuisine". The windows are covered in paper and I didn't notice any sign indicating the planned date of opening.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

a bread affair on denman now closed, after a mere month or two, i never did get how they could have so much shelf space with such little product on it

Looks like Capstone Tea right next door is closed as well.

Cheers,

Anne

Drove by Benny's Bagels on West Broadway on the weekend and noted the window were all papered over.... Are they closed? Renovating?

There was a small fire and the City was all over them for trying to still operate with kitchen damage.

The Good News is that the sound of hammers & saws can be heard from the inside so they must be doing things right. :cool:

So has anyone been to the new Henry's since it opened in the strip mall on the corner of King Ed and Oak?

I assume he's been open since before Christmas but haven't heard a peep about the place. Drove by last night, quite late, on the way out of Safeway. The menu has things like Duck Liver Foie Gras Mille Feuille as an app. so he's still ambitious but can he execute?

So has anyone been to the new Henry's since it opened in the strip mall on the corner of King Ed and Oak?

I assume he's been open since before Christmas but haven't heard a peep about the place. Drove by last night, quite late, on the way out of Safeway. The menu has things like Duck Liver Foie Gras Mille Feuille as an app. so he's still ambitious but can he execute?

Was there last night 7-9pm, 75% full? Never been to the original location but the new place's decoration is pretty simple. Service did not 'wow' anyone but prices hard to beat. What are the best dishes to try?

Was there last night 7-9pm, 75% full? Never been to the original location but the new place's decoration is pretty simple. Service did not 'wow' anyone but prices hard to beat. What are the best dishes to try?

OK but how was the food?

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

OK but how was the food?

I haven't been to Henry's at its new location. But the restaurant has got a website now!

http://www.henryskitchen.com/index.html