• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Had lunch there with canucklehead a couple weeks ago, and am going again this Friday with some co-workers for a pre-Christmas lunch.

Top-notch. really. The parsely & reisling soup with the poached egg was rich without being heavy. I had the duck confit w/ beets & green beans, and canucklehead had the chicken cutlet ... both were very well executed.

The room is really cool from a designers point of view (which I am) but the bar stood out for me. I need to do a Friday night cocktail club there ...

A.

Funnily enough I had brunch there last Saturday, with the $20 coupon.

The soup intrigued me so much that I had to order it, and it was rich with a very satisfying flavour - a definite recommendation. Also had the flatiron steak - no complaints, and the ginger scone - a total winner!

My friend did not do so well - the waiter brought the wrong order, and when he replaced the original with the correct (eggs benedict) order the eggs were one step from raw. She did send it back again and eventually enjoyed her meal. She was not charged for the main dish, and was also given a free scone to compensate - a nice touch but getting the correct order first time would have been preferable.

Service was very gracious, but super slow - we were there for almost 3 hours.

Would definitely go back, even with the glitches.

Please let us know how you fare, should you decide to go.

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

My friend did not do so well - the waiter brought the wrong order, and when he replaced the original with the correct (eggs benedict) order the eggs were one step from raw.  She did send it back again and eventually enjoyed her meal.  She was not charged for the main dish, and was also given a free scone to compensate -  a nice touch but getting the correct order first time would have been preferable.

As Arne said - I thought lunch was quite good. Restrained but well executed cooking. Pricing puts into direct competition with places like Feenie's - which is a difficult position. Still - the room is comfortable and the banquettes generously sized.

Funny thing about eggs - I probably would have loved that degree of doness. I recently went to lunch at a neighbourhood diner (Roundel Cafe on E. Hastings) and I orded my eggs sunny side up soft. Ideally - they would be completely liquid, just warmed through and slightly thickened. Mmmmmmm. The came cooked through on the bottom - a slight disapointment for me. Everyone else I know though - likes their eggs cooked through. Perhaps a doneness chart is required - like for steak.

On our way to Shijo for sushi last night we passed Fuel in full swing entertaining their construction helpers, so of course I had to poke my nose in. Tom mentioned waiting until Jan 3rd to 'officially' open to the public . . ..

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Stopped by Fuel today.  They did a practice run yesterday and should be open by December 20th. 

The room looks great.  Amazing light fixtures add uniqueness.

http://www.fuelrestaurant.ca/

The menu looks amazing.  So mad I have to wait until January to try.

It's not often that a restaurant website catches my eye, but this one....WOW!.....if they put as much effort into the restaurant as they do the website, then I'm excited.

Can't wait......!

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Stopped by Fuel today.  They did a practice run yesterday and should be open by December 20th. 

The room looks great.  Amazing light fixtures add uniqueness.

http://www.fuelrestaurant.ca/

The menu looks amazing.  So mad I have to wait until January to try.

It's not often that a restaurant website catches my eye, but this one....WOW!.....if they put as much effort into the restaurant as they do the website, then I'm excited.

Can't wait......!

I loved the music on the site. Good luck to Rob and Tom, I can't wait to try it.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait......!

Wow...I used to eat all the time at Re-Bar :) Funky will need to try it

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I am looking forward to the second Nuba location opening at 1206 Seymour.

I have not been to the one on Hastings but several of my friends recommended it.

Lebanese food a few blocks away from work... almost sounds too good to be true!

Emmanuelle

Lombardo's is opening up on Smithe, a few doors down from the Paramount Theatre.   :biggrin:

Any idea of when they might actually be opening?

I walked by a few days ago and it looked like they were open. Not sure if it was just staff inside or not but quite a few people in there.

Derek

I have not been to the one on Hastings but several of my friends recommended it.

Hey, I work right near there too, that's exciting! Do you know when they're supposed to open?

Lombardo's is opening up on Smithe, a few doors down from the Paramount Theatre.  :biggrin:

Any idea of when they might actually be opening?

I walked by a few days ago and it looked like they were open. Not sure if it was just staff inside or not but quite a few people in there.

I drove by tonight and it was a full house.

Also noticed another restaurant going in right next to it called Azia...something fusion, IIRC. It's still papered up, at the moment.

Quentina

Hey, I work right near there too, that's exciting! Do you know when they're supposed to open?

Hi Sylphid,

I will check tomorrow on my way to work and report back! I think the sign I saw a while ago said end 2006, I will see if there is any updated information :smile:

Emmanuelle

Where is thier first location, and is it any good? I have yet to come by good quality lebanese food in vancouver. But I have to keep in mind I am comparing these places to my trips to Lebanon and home cooked meals.

Edited by D90 (log)

Where is thier first location, and is it any good? I have yet to come by good quality lebanese food in vancouver. But I have to keep in mind I am comparing these places to my trips to Lebanon and home cooked meals.

Same here! Ten years ago, I spent quite a bit of time going back and forth between Beirut and Paris (which has some wonderful Lebanese restaurants) and I am pining for good arayess or habra nayye...

The original Nuba location is at 322 Hastings.

As for the Seymour one, I checked their sign again this morning and it actually says Fall 2006 / October 2006. My crystal ball is telling me this is not going to happen :wink: ... so we'll have to wait and see (or maybe phone them and find out what the timeline is).

Emmanuelle

Same here! Ten years ago, I spent quite a bit of time going back and forth between Beirut and Paris (which has some wonderful Lebanese restaurants) and I am pining for good arayess or habra nayye...

The original Nuba location is at 322 Hastings.

As for the Seymour one, I checked their sign again this morning and it actually says Fall 2006 / October 2006. My crystal ball is telling me this is not going to happen :wink: ... so we'll have to wait and see (or maybe phone them and find out what the timeline is).

I know the owners well they are going to open - some city hall challenges are hampering this endevour- WHATS NEW!!!!

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things:

I read in today's Vancouver Sun that the English Bay boat house (the real one on the beach) is to be developed to create a 75 seat Bistro. Interestingly the Park's Board have a firm of architects designing the space but will only bring an operator in later on.

Seems like it makes more sense to choose your operator first, who would then work with the architects rather than inherit a space that may or may not be suitable.

Flying Wedge has closed at it's original location on Cornwall with a sign that says they will reopen in March/April. Will it be Flying Wedge or will it be the Taco Shack moving over from next door as previously mentioned? I really haven't seen much business on the Taco side so not sure if that's still in the cards.

Hi Guys

Taco Shack will be moving next door in a flying wedge swap. 

Main st Vera's Opened tonight about 6pm, go in and say hi to luigi, a 6 year Vera's vet, who has now opened his very own.

Congratulations Gerald, how many Burger and Taco places is that now? I have lost track :smile: