• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

Sad to see that the Beachside in West Vancouver is closed. There’s a note on the door thanking her patrons. Janet McGuire was a great restaurateur and I really liked her place. I think that a couple of her old chefs really damaged the reputation and alienated some of her regulars who never returned. I am hoping that her demo clause (the whole block is being developed) kicked in, but whatever the reason she closed it will be missed. Not sure what Dennis, her current chef is doing, but he is very talented if anyone is looking. I wonder if she will open another one?

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Sad to see that the Beachside in West Vancouver is closed. There’s a note on the door thanking her patrons. Janet McGuire was a great restaurateur and I really liked her place. I think that a couple of her old chefs really damaged the reputation and alienated some of her regulars who never returned. I am hoping that her demo clause (the whole block is being developed) kicked in, but whatever the reason she closed it will be missed. Not sure what Dennis, her current chef is doing, but he is very talented if anyone is looking. I wonder if she will open another one?

I see over on the City Food Beta site there is a rumour of Gianni Picchi (one of her former chefs and ex Il Giardino, etc. chef) checking out the space. I had also heard he was looking up in Edgemont Village as well. Wonder which side of the positive or negative he held at Beachside?

What is it about West Vancouver that makes it so difficult for restaurants to do well? The money is definitely there and not having to bridge it into Vancouver would seem to be a huge plus for any restaurants on that side. (Or is that actually a thing of the past and Beachside is just an unfortunate circumstance?)

Not exactly an opening or closing, but I heard today that the original owner of Habibi's is back in town and is in the process of buying back the restaurant.  Can anyone confirm this?

I can confirm this -- went and ate there on Saturday night. It is no longer called Habibi's, but the decor is the same and the menu is very similar to what I remember. I hadn't been there in awhile, so I'm not sure if they changed things while the original owner was gone or since his return, but I think some of the dishes have been tweaked a bit, and they now have 3 meat dishes. Overall the food was great, we pretty much stuck to the old favourites (shinkleesh, hommous, tabouleh, eggplant (baba ganoush?), balila) and it was pretty much all better than I remember it being. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my wife and I hadn't eaten lunch and were starving :)

Oh, if you decide to go soon you may want to be sure you bring cash, because they're still setting things up and their credit card/interac machines weren't running.

I can confirm this -- went and ate there on Saturday night. It is no longer called Habibi's, but the decor is the same and the menu is very similar to what I remember. I hadn't been there in awhile, so I'm not sure if they changed things while the original owner was gone or since his return, but I think some of the dishes have been tweaked a bit, and they now have 3 meat dishes. Overall the food was great, we pretty much stuck to the old favourites (shinkleesh, hommous, tabouleh, eggplant (baba ganoush?), balila) and it was pretty much all better than I remember it being. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my wife and I hadn't eaten lunch and were starving :)

Oh, if you decide to go soon you may want to be sure you bring cash, because they're still setting things up and their credit card/interac machines weren't running.

What's the new name?

Edited by lauraf (log)

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I see over on the City Food Beta site there is a rumour of Gianni Picchi (one of her former chefs and ex Il Giardino, etc. chef) checking out the space. I had also heard he was looking up in Edgemont Village as well. Wonder which side of the positive or negative he held at Beachside?

Ah the same old story with that guy. Probably negative. Another one of those titans of the restaurant scene that treated his staff like shit. I wish him a job as Pinos sous chef. They deserve eachother. Yeah, I sound bitter. I am. alienating staff and customers is their gig. Reminds me of another classic in Yaletown...

Ah the same old story with that guy. Probably negative. Another one of those titans of the restaurant scene that treated his staff like shit. I wish him a job as Pinos sous chef. They deserve eachother. Yeah, I sound bitter. I am. alienating staff and customers is their gig. Reminds me of another classic in Yaletown...

Just to keep things straight: the comments above, starting with "Ah the same old story...." are from jahvay and not me although what he/she has to say is pretty well true. Old school emotional chefs (talented as they are) who both have added more behind the scenes drama than any unsuspecting restaurant patron could ever dream.

reminds me of another classic in Yaletown.......

All the chefs in Yaletown are shiny, happy people with the milk of human kindness flowing throught their veins.

whatever classic in Yaletown you are reminded of must be the fictional "Godiva's". which is "closed" for good.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I wish him a job as Pinos sous chef.

Ouch - that's cold brother.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

The new Yutaka izakaya on Jervis (just off of Robson) opened tonight. It's just near my building so I've been charting its progress on my way to get groceries. I checked out the menu tonight and was not particulary wowed by the level of innovation or decor. However, when I'm too lazy to walk the extra block to get to Hapa, I might check it out. I'll report back.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

reminds me of another classic in Yaletown.......

All the chefs in Yaletown are shiny, happy people with the milk of human kindness flowing throught their veins.

whatever classic in Yaletown you are reminded of must be the fictional "Godiva's". which is "closed" for good.

Sorry, I was refering to a chef of the past who has since moved on to another gig, and then moved on to no gig.

Whenever I think of the Boathouse I think of the time I went for their

so-called "crab-fest". Can't remember the dish, but will never forget the

TABLESPOON of crab in it. If this is their fest, I'd hate to see their gala...

But on to topic, that Russian restaurant I'd mentioned somewheres up-thread,

the one on Bainbridge and Lougheed, is now kaput. I think it lasted all of

four months. Anyhoo, in its place is Howie's Bar & Bistro. Don't know what

that is, exactly, but aim to find out. Will post results for the few and far

between Burnaby-ites here....

I drove by where Kedah House used to be on Fraser and it has a sign that a Malaysian restaurant is opening soon. Any news on this one?

I also noticed that the new Kedah House location is currently closed due to a "small kitchen fire" according to the sign on the door.

Cheers!

A long time Vancouver name in the restaurant business is no more.

Varsity Grill has become

Win's Chinese Restaurant-Authentic Cantonese Cuisine-1909 W4th

Had the Spicy Squid last night, quite tasty-done with a fine deft touch.

A warm Welcoming place run by friendly happy people.

Varsity Grill has become

Do you know if it's the same Win's that used to be on Arbutus - where Finest at Sea is now? They used to be my delivery place of choice before the fire . . ..

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Drove past Green Village yesterday afternoon and noticed them taking down the exterior signage. Looks like the demise of another restaurant... has anyone heard anything to the contrary?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Varsity Grill has become

Do you know if it's the same Win's that used to be on Arbutus - where Finest at Sea is now? They used to be my delivery place of choice before the fire . . ..

Dunno-they do know their way around though for a new operation-all the ducks are in a row-as is the live seafood.

Give 'em a call @ 604.224.1822/604.224.3944

Drove past Green Village yesterday afternoon and noticed them taking down the exterior signage. Looks like the demise of another restaurant... has anyone heard anything to the contrary?

You probably saw the review in the Courier a couple or so weeks ago, not very flattering, but, it wasn't Tim who wrote it, so I didn't pay much attention, as I wasn't impressed with the replacement columnist's style of review. Maybe there was more to that than first realized. :unsure:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

New place called Bistro Formosa at 5555 West Blvd in the old Pabla's Indian Cuisine spot.

I thought it was called Cabin 5555? Anyway, I heard that they are owned by the same people who owned the Taiwanese restaurant in East Van a long time ago - famous for their stinky tofu. They also serve bubbletea (didn't look too appealing to me though - while I was driving by I noticed people drinking the regular powdered bubbleteas). Looks like they will be giving Cute Pearl House (I love their Taiwanese fried chicken!) a run for their money.

You probably saw the review in the Courier a couple or so weeks ago, not very flattering, but, it wasn't Tim who wrote it, so I didn't pay much attention, as I wasn't impressed with the replacement columnist's style of review.  Maybe there was more to that than first realized.  :unsure:

What happened to Tim? I wholeheartedly agree, complaining about lack of alcohol choices in a Chinese restaurant is like complaining about lack of beef options in Indian restaurants.. It was one of the worst reviews I've read in a long time, but probably had nothing to do with Green Village's recent take-down.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

What happened to Tim?

According to the City Food website:

Quoting Mark Twain, food and wine writer Tim Pawsey stated : “Word of my demise has been greatly exaggerated.”

Pawsey spoke up to address his many fans who panicked when they picked up last week’s edition of the Vancouver Courier to find that their favourite columnist had been replaced by a “Cheap Eats” column. But the rumours that Pawsey had been let go by the Courier has proved to be both true and untrue.

Thanks to cost-cutting measures by the paper’s publisher, CanWest, who has instructed the Courier to cut down on freelance contributors, the Wednesday column will now be written by in house staff. Tim’s Diner column will however, continue to be included in the Courier’s Friday edition.

Link here: City Food

Cheers,

Anne

Varsity Grill has become

Definitely the same Folks-had a chance to talk to the Manager today got the whole sad story about what happened after the fire.

Anyway they've landed on their feet and lunch today was excellent.

A fine addition to the 'hood-ready to give Connie's a run for their money. :cool: