• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 2)

makanmakan

[Host's note: to minimise the load on our servers, this topic has been split.  This discussion continues from here.]

In the 500 block Robson St, just under H Mart, there's a new Singaporean place called True. It's a franchise from Singapore with other locations scattered around the globe.

It's a nice looking room and the service is great. The food so far is not bad at all. The hilights for me has been the Laksa, Hainanese Chicken rice and the Fried Chicken rice.

A plus is that they've got a liquor liscence!

Just happy that we've got another lunch option in the hood now!

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)

Quentina

Arne:  that is the pub and cucina at 4125 this one is closer to the old AW and is not open yet.

Doh! I knew that. That's in the old Puglia Deli location ... the place that had the fire because of a grow op upstrairs.

A.

I heard that a new Malaysian place will be opening on Pacific someplace near Davie.  Has anyone heard the details on this one? 

Cheers!

It's called "Jonker Street - Simply Malaysian", on Pacific Blvd right next to the Liquor Store.

Anyone tried Kirushiu sushi on Granville at Nelson? I don't know when it opened, but it looks decent.

It's just a maki roll place with the usual selections, mostly for take-out. They do make them fresh on the spot though; so no pre-made refrigirated stuff sitting around. They are open until like 2 am or something, to feed the bar crowd I guess.

I'm much more curious about "Sonomama Sushi and Grill" (I guess the "Grill" part refers to robata) around the same stretch of Granville on the opposite side of the street. High ceilings and nice decor. Looks like someone spent quite a bit of money on it.

Sounds interesting, but I'm much more interested in this:

http://www.connorbutler.com/about/

We all know when things sound too good to be true, they usually are.

(When was the last time you got an update on that highly-photogenic German girl locked in the root cellar, or the Albanian family who walk like chimps, or the Italian family-with-dubious-income murdered in Mexico?)

Remember: Con is the root of Connor.

Just in case, however, I did make an on-line reservation. I'm looking forward to trying the Cigarette of Avocado.

Memo, I see Dogen, Connor and Tupelo - flying home to me

NOT A CON:

This is a short version of our correspondence:

Hi Cassandra,

We are taking over the location this weekend (October 1st) and it is on the west side of Granville at about sixth, next to the cheesecake cafe in what I hear was an old after hours.

We will have 24 seats avaiable for appointment only in our dining room.

We are pushing hard for a Halloween party opening (fingers crossed, knocking wood), and I will keep you informed of our progress when pertinent.

Cheers,

Chef Connor Butler

Just a few notes on this Connor Butler business - yes, the Versace dishes are in fact true!

And to top it all off, not only are reservations MANDATORY, but apparently you will need references (of what?!) in order to be accepted. There may also be a quiz to see if you are WORTHY of dining there.

I don't know if it's just to get the buzz on the restaurant or what...

...The new restaurant by Andre of Parkside is called LA BUCA and I believe it's opening "soon."

Just a few notes on this Connor Butler business - yes, the Versace dishes are in fact true!

And to top it all off, not only are reservations MANDATORY, but apparently you will need references (of what?!) in order to be accepted.  There may also be a quiz to see if you are WORTHY of dining there.

I don't know if it's just to get the buzz on the restaurant or what...

Wow, a restaurant that is both pretentious AND obnoxious?

way to capture the essence of vancouver.

Now working with someone who recently worked with Connor Butler...

Quote of the day:

"He is either brilliant or totally insane....."

I vote insane just on knowledge of the location, the pretentiousness and the Versace,

What a way to throw away money.

...The new restaurant by Andre of Parkside is called LA BUCA and I believe it's opening "soon."

Teamboom,

If you click on the Front Page Archives at Urban Diner and scroll down to October 18th you can check out an advance copy of Durbach's menu for La Buca.

As for Restaurant Connor Butler, the oddness is all part of his clever marketing plan. :cool:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Teamboom,

If you click on the Front Page Archives at Urban Diner and scroll down to October 18th you can check out an advance copy of Durbach's menu for La Buca.

As for Restaurant Connor Butler, the oddness is all part of his clever marketing plan. :cool:

HERE'S a direct link to the menu.

Don't get me started on Butler! :laugh:

A.

Great news for seafood lovers. Finest at Sea has finally opened it's retail outlet. This from Ian Angus of FAS:

After much fun with the fire inspectors, we opened our little store yesterday.  As with any new venture, it will take a few days to get to where we want to be but we will have fun getting there.

Please drop in... 4675 Arbutus Street. We will see how hours of 11am to 9pm work, seven days a week.

A.

It must be in the little mall - I'll do a drive by and check it out. Sounds spectacular and there's parking.

?We will be offering a vast array of our sustainably caught wild BC seafood, harvested with our own commercial fleet, choose from our premium frozen at sea, fresh, naturally smoked and live products, along with a delectable menu of chefs creations from the Bistro for ‘eat in’ or ‘take out’. "

Gastronomista

Check out their fresh oysters.

In Victoria their small Cortes Island-types sell for a great deal - $8.95 a dozen!

Memo - sometimes a shelfish person

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Does anyone know if Fine Pastries of Lisbon has closed down?

It has, quite some time ago. Was there something in particular that you were trying to source?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Is Wabi Sabi closed?  Number is no longer in service.

Yes. From their website:

"We want to say "Thank you!" to all our loyal customers and friends that have joined us during our 7 years in business! As of October 1st, our friend and mentor, Yami-san, will be opening En Japanese Restaurant that we're certain you will enjoy just as much as we've enjoyed serving you!"

– Chantelle Chouinard & Tak Katayama

Cheers,

Anne

Is Wabi Sabi closed?  Number is no longer in service.

Yes. From their website:

"We want to say "Thank you!" to all our loyal customers and friends that have joined us during our 7 years in business! As of October 1st, our friend and mentor, Yami-san, will be opening En Japanese Restaurant that we're certain you will enjoy just as much as we've enjoyed serving you!"

– Chantelle Chouinard & Tak Katayama

Thank you for the update! And only if we can find out where En has relocated... (found the answer.. 4422 W10th, the old location of Wabi Sabi!)

Edited by mangez (log)