• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

not really any new information, but a question, do you know where the chef at da Pasta bar has gone? I loved their pasta, and the wonderful smells of the kitchen at the bar. any leads on how I can get some more of that pasta?

Is there a restaurant going into a spot on South Granville near 16th? I heard mention of it the other day.

I am keeping my eye on this place as I have heard the same thing, and may know the chef(s). If it is, the scheduled opening was supposed to be in Nov. but I highly doubt it at this point.

I live close by and walk by frequently. Will keep you updated.

The windows are papered over at the Fresgo Inn Restaurant, bastion of late night eating on Davie Street since 1973.

Bummer. I liked that place; it was an oasis of old-skool cafeteria cooking in the midst of a sea of fluffy pretension and bad cheap Greek joints. Where to go now for 1am post-work poutine, or a Sunday morning omlette bigger than your head?

It had changed hands a couple of times in recent years, but I heard the original owner opened a Fresgo's in Surrey... is that still there?

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Is there a restaurant going into a spot on South Granville near 16th? I heard mention of it the other day.

I am keeping my eye on this place as I have heard the same thing, and may know the chef(s). If it is, the scheduled opening was supposed to be in Nov. but I highly doubt it at this point.

Find an interview with the chef here

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

The windows are papered over at the Fresgo Inn Restaurant, bastion of late night eating on Davie Street since 1973.

Bummer. I liked that place; it was an oasis of old-skool cafeteria cooking in the midst of a sea of fluffy pretension and bad cheap Greek joints. Where to go now for 1am post-work poutine, or a Sunday morning omlette bigger than your head?

It had changed hands a couple of times in recent years, but I heard the original owner opened a Fresgo's in Surrey... is that still there?

I believe the Surrey Fresgo is still open.

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

Find an interview with the chef here

This guy was not who we were talking about. At 16th and Granville there is a boarded up storefront. Connor Butler is at 6th. (P.S. I think that he is crazy serving his food on Versace. That alone will run him into the ground. People will steal, and employees will break it.)

Oops, I added the six instead of subtracting. 16th is probably a better location actually. More foot traffic. I hardly ever walk down by 6th, unless I'm on my way to Granville Island. I'm excited to see if restaurant CB works out. But what's the deal on this new place on 16th? A friend works in the area and I haven't seen any empty shops there, or is it going to be where Cabana was?

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Oops, I added the six instead of subtracting.  16th is probably a better location actually.  More foot traffic.  I hardly ever walk down by 6th, unless I'm on my way to Granville Island.  I'm excited to see if restaurant CB works out.  But what's the deal on this new place on 16th?  A friend works in the area and I haven't seen any empty shops there, or is it going to be where Cabana was?

Where Cabana was is slated to be the new William Sonoma.

Oops, I added the six instead of subtracting.  16th is probably a better location actually.  More foot traffic.  I hardly ever walk down by 6th, unless I'm on my way to Granville Island.  I'm excited to see if restaurant CB works out.  But what's the deal on this new place on 16th?  A friend works in the area and I haven't seen any empty shops there, or is it going to be where Cabana was?

You mean Caban, I think. I'm pretty sure there's already a clothing store in that spot - is that just temporary?

Cheers,

Anne

You mean Caban, I think. I'm pretty sure there's already a clothing store in that spot - is that just temporary?

There is a clothing store there. Williams Sonoma will be in the area though and that seems to be the only spot that makes sense. Hmm??

Gastronomista

Williams-Sonoma will be at 2903 Granville.

Oh! My bad, I obviously haven't been up there for awhile. What was there before?

Kim-John China & Gifts was there before. :smile:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Connor Butler will be open on the 1st of November.

Had a quick tour of the space and it's gonna look pretty good.

Felt like I was in the middle of an Opening Soon episode.

Am I becoming one of those loathsome people who can only

relate real-life experiences through foodtv programs? Yikes.

Gotta get out more...

His website is www.connorbutler.com

Yup, the dinnerware is Versace from sideplates to teapots,

but having both worked at C, the 2 principles, Ron and Connor,

have a lot of experience with expensive plates. I'm sure that theft

and breakage are not gonna put them under.

Isn't that what was said about Rare and their Riedels?

How much for a stemmed Riedel water glass? $20? $30? $40?

Dining in the front of the room, a bar in the middle and

then a few steps down to the lounge. Gorgeous accoutrements in

the washrooms and extremely comfortable chairs.

A little risky opening during the Christmas rush when each meal

comes loaded with way more meaning than Just Dinner With Friends.

Maybe a cap on group size would help at the beginning.

With their pedigrees I'm pretty sure they're gonna do just fine.

Risky location, but with God-Knows-How-Many-Units having just

gone up on the other side of Granville in that huge new development

it could become Our-Other-Kitchen-Across-the-Street.

The-One-We-Actually-Use.

Speaking of South Granville, with the arrival of Bombay Co.,

the relocation of Tchachka's (sp?), the growth of EQ3 from one store

to two and the imminent arrival of Pottery Barn's big brother,

Williams-Sonoma, this area is quickly becoming the Robson of housewares.

Too bad Caban couldn't hold out for a little while.

The clothing store that overtook the space doesn't look like it's very temporary.

Could be though. It's part of the much larger Stitches group.

Being a Big Fan of Caban I felt a little violated walking through the new store.

They put up a few new fixtures and hung their clothes and then opened the doors.

Didn't even paint.

Having aspired to the plastic Caban lifestyle since the end of the

last century, I felt like someone I didn't like the smell of had moved into

an old friend's house after he had died without even shifting the furniture around.

Sad.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

Arne: that is the pub and cucina at 4125 this one is closer to the old AW and is not open yet.

According to the Anducci's website it looks like a new Anducci's Cucina is opening soon at 6011 East Hastings St in Burnaby.

Already open ... it's in the old NBI

A.

[Host's note: to minimise the load on our servers, this topic has been split.  The discussion continues here.]

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)