• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

When Connor Butler was chef at Pearl on the Rock, Mia Stainsby wrote that he had - "acquired a candy floss machine on eBay for 50 bucks and well, I'm not so sure it was the best use of cotton candy but he wrapped it around thyme as a garnish".

My sincere apologies to all concerned.

Memo - can't go back to CONstantinople, now it's IstanBULL, not CONstaninople

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I heard they were planning to call it O Canada - but were told there wasn't room for another Canadian restaurant in the area.

Memo - where still the mighty moose wanders at will

Another izakaya joint looks ready to open (bottles of soya sauce filled and set on tables, yet signs posted on window indicate both foh&boh positions have not been filled) next to La Bretagne Crêperie on Jervis off Robson.

Don't know if it has been noted previously or if I am correct but I thought that George looked a bit 'shuttered' when I walk by the other day. Looked like there was nothing in the space and the sign was absent - or so I thought. Too bad - it was a great place for great drinks and right across the street from good and valued client.

Cheers,

Karole

Don't know if it has been noted previously or if I am correct but I thought that George looked a bit 'shuttered' when I walk by the other day. Looked like there was nothing in the space and the sign was absent - or so I thought. Too bad - it was a great place for great drinks and right across the street from good and valued client.

REALLY?? Is this the George/Brix location? I would be *very* surprised, since they just ordered a lot of glassware from puddifoot last week!

Their sign is a projected light, that only shows when it is dark.

They are only open in the evening. I would think they close the shutters to discourage break ins for people still looking for booze.

Good - then it must be that they look really, really closed during the day.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Zipang Sushi has opened at Main and 21st, in the space that used to be a pho restaurant. It is about 30 seconds from my front door, so I ate sushi there twice this weekend. It is pretty good sushi, nice and fresh and some of the menu items are a little different than what you usually see. Toshi's down the street has some insane line-ups these days, so maybe this place will get some spillover business.

The space is pretty cool, too. The chairs are wild - '50s style modern plactic space chairs with faux fur on the seats.

I had a pork okonomiyaki there yesterday, and my dad had a bown of chicken udon. We were very happy! (we were looking for a restaurant based on the "available parking spot" theory, and Zipang won)

The okonomiyaki came with the requisite sauces and bonito flakes. The portion was smallish, in a good way: I didn't feel as though a coma was imminent :biggrin: and I enjoyed their tea (jasmine scented?).

Very reasonable prices (lunch for two for $12.50 or something :shock:).

(Edited for bonito.)

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Noticed today that Dan Japanese Restaurant on Broadway in Kits (the one that burnt down over a year ago I believe) is now open again and looking good from what we could see. Open for dinner only. Will try to check it out sometime in the next couple of weeks - last time we were there we really enjoyed it, but can't recall specifics now except that the daily specials were excellent and well beyond the pedestrian offerings at most Westside Japanese restaurants.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Another izakaya joint looks ready to open (bottles of soya sauce filled and set on tables, yet signs posted on window indicate both foh&boh positions have not been filled) next to La Bretagne Crêperie on Jervis off Robson.

I actually won a small contest in naming this restaurant (I suggested "Ume"), but the owner's cousin wanted to name it something else. :wacko: So I think this restaurant is going to be called Ebisu, from what I hear.

I actually won a small contest in naming this restaurant

Was there a prize - or just a surprise - for winning the contest?

Memo - it's hard to win in the first place when you've got plenty to show

THE MOUNTAIN CLUB- An Exciting New Restaurant from Owners of The Ocean Club Set to Open in Whistler This Winter

UNRELATED

THE SHORE CLUB - 400 seats in the Hudson Building by Hy's/Gotham folk

and

THE LAND and SEA CLUB - location yet to be determined :wink:

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

I actually won a small contest in naming this restaurant

Was there a prize - or just a surprise - for winning the contest?

I have no idea, actually. One of the friends of the owner said there might be a prize (or a discount?) in store for me but I haven't pursued it and he hasn't mentioned anything again.

Zipang Sushi has opened at Main and 21st, in the space that used to be a pho restaurant... It is pretty good sushi, nice and fresh and some of the menu items are a little different than what you usually see.  Toshi's down the street has some insane line-ups these days, so maybe this place will get some spillover business. 

We ordered take out from there last week and thought it was great! Like you said, the prices are reasonable and the sushi is fresh! I get to have take out and I don't need to wait in line (ahem*Toshis*)!

On another note - there was a fire at Shiro and they're currently closed. They was a little sign saying they would open next week. My fingers are crossed.

Here's the story, more or less, on El Patio.

It was opened 20 some-odd years ago by two wonderful gentlemen, Chico and Leo. I knew Chico from his days at Il Giardino in the early eighties. The restaurant was a wonderful, bustling, although somewhat kitschy at times, authentic Spanish restaurant. Beautiful patio, great staff, good food. A few years ago sadly Leo died leaving Chico to run the place, which he did admirably. Eventfully though, with no partner to take some of the work load and retirement looming, he sold it retaining the last year or two of the lease. The people who took over it just never made it work. As a close witness (as I work in the area) I can guess why but won't go into the details.

About 8 months ago I ran into Chico on his way out of the restaurant having had a celebratory drink as the lease was up and so was his last connection to the restaurant. I don’t know what part he played but after that it really went down hill. It was a shame as the Mother-in-law of the owner was a darling woman from Chile with lots of spirit and personality.

After much toing and froing, closing here and there, changing hours, opening here and there, closing for sudden “renovations” etc., they finally closed their door a few weeks ago saying they were going on holiday for 2 weeks. They never did reopen. A few letters from the landlord were posted at the door and yesterday the bailiff arrived to take what little was left, including the kitchen sink!

Running into them quite often, the owners told me at one time that they were opening a new restaurant on Denman, under the Pacific Crab Co. calling it El Patio and were going to run them both. They then changed their story to say they were selling the original and had it up for sale for about $170,000 – Now there is nothing to sell, it is closed for good, gas and electricity turned off, the kitchen equipment gone and every other thing that could be unscrewed or moved.

The lease is currently about $18.40 a square foot with 3700 feet of space in the lease. It has free parking (2 spaces in the day and the entire parking lot of 15-18 spaces or so after 6:00 pm) however the taxes and operating costs are about the same again per square foot ending up close to $40 sg ft. It’s really run down and dirty now and would have to be gutted I should think!

Having said that it should be a great location for the right business. It’s close to the theatres and stadiums. Tonight there is a constant stream of people trying the door before the football game. It has amazing space for private functions and special events and is laid out in such as way that you could have both private and public functions going on at the same time. It has almost 3 stories and the patio could be stunning!

Poor Leo and Chico, what a thing to happen to their legacy!

Cate

PS The building manager, who is handling the lease is Myrna – She is at 604-683-9641 she may be negotiable with the lease but I think not, for all I know they may not even want another restaurant in the space…

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Not exactly an opening or closing, but I heard today that the original owner of Habibi's is back in town and is in the process of buying back the restaurant. Can anyone confirm this?

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

Thanks kissmekate for clarifiying what happened to El Patio: I used to go there a lot a few years ago, and found it hard to believe that the same people would do a midnight flit.

On another note, Olympia Seafood on Thurlow is closing at the end of this month.

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

Thanks for the full story Cate. Interestingly there is an El Patio on Denman under the Pacific Crab Company, but I've never seen it open.

Running into them quite often, the owners  told me at one time that they were opening a new restaurant on Denman, under the Pacific Crab Co. calling it El Patio and were going to run them both. They then changed their story to say they were selling the original and had it up for sale for about $170,000 – Now there is nothing to sell, it is closed for good, gas and electricity turned off, the kitchen equipment gone and every other thing that could be unscrewed or moved.

Cheers,

Anne

Does anyone know anything about the Hennessy Dining Lounge on Broadway by Ontario? I drove past it but didn't know it existed before today.

Also, the Whip has just reopened after closing for a bit of a reno. I wonder if the staff, menu, cooking has changed. Those were the things I've heard many negative comments about - not the decor.

They just signed up with us yesterday:

http://www.foodvancouver.com/dining-guide/...restaurant=1831

Does anyone know anything about the Hennessy Dining Lounge on Broadway by Ontario? I drove past it but didn't know it existed before today.

Also, the Whip has just reopened after closing for a bit of a reno. I wonder if the staff, menu, cooking has changed. Those were the things I've heard many negative comments about - not the decor.