• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

After trying once again to get into Noodle Box- last time it was a Monday and they are closed Mondays, this time it was 8:45 on a Sunday night only to find that they close at 8:00 pm although they really closed at 7:00 (I know still doing the shake down etc. but hey guys, this is Vancouver not sleepy Victoria we can handle later hours!).

So we ended up walking half a block to the new branch of Zakkushi and it turned out just fine. The place is tiny and super cozy - this is going to be tough to get into in the winter time. The prices are probably the same as at their Denman branch which is really inexpensive for such a small place in Kits. Little skewers start at $1.80 each., the idea is mainly charcoal grilled bites of food with some noodle dishes, tofu and a couple of salad items.

We let them do their thing and select 5 or 6 items for us. Standouts were the Beef Tongue, Raw Octopus in Wasabi and the grilled Hamachi. They close at 10:30 on Sunday night. Take note Noodle Box.

I am not sure what's happening at Noodle Box - had lunch there once and everything seemed ready to go - I am guessing that staffing issues are keeping hours of operation difficult to manage.

I saw that Zakkushi space and man - it looks very good - like a super tiny cozy Japanese country inn. But as a guy hurtling towards middle age - I am not sure I am keen on climbing in and out of the tiny spaces to sit and eat. Why do restaurants do this - stuff people into ridiculously close quarters. I don't go to the Bins or Lolita's because they seem hell bent on stuffing people together like sardines. Ugh!

After trying once again to get into Noodle Box- last time it was a Monday and they are closed Mondays, this time it was 8:45 on a Sunday night only to find that they close at 8:00 pm although they really closed at 7:00 (I know still doing the shake down etc. but hey guys, this is Vancouver not sleepy Victoria we can handle later hours!).

I tried to have lunch there on Tuesday, only to be greeted with a sign saying something about the hours being "irregular" until they get things "worked out" (staff training, etc.) Must be nice to hit the ground limping like that.

Unfortunately, my experience afterwards wasn't as happy as I had an appointment to keep and ended up with Pad Thai from Thai Away Home. It was OK, but it weren't no Cambodian Jungle Currey!

A.

I tried to have lunch there on Tuesday, only to be greeted with a sign saying something about the hours being "irregular" until they get things "worked out" (staff training, etc.) Must be nice to hit the ground limping like that.

Well Done Folks you tie for minor league bitching-of-the-week. :raz:

Daddy A-you should have gone to Thai Terrace.

Ouch! :laugh:

I guess my point Sam was that IMO, a business shouldn't open it's doors until ready to do so. Seems a strage business practice for an establishe company ...

Thai Terrace. Noted ... thanks!

A.

Ouch! :laugh:

I guess my point Sam was that IMO, a business shouldn't open it's doors until ready to do so. Seems a strage business practice for an establishe company ...

Thai Terrace. Noted ... thanks!

A.

I suspect Sam's jab was more the old pro smiling down on the amateurs!!

Too be honest I think that Noodle Box's being slow out of the gate has helped the new Zakkushi a ton as they've picked up a lot of the dissapointed N.B.er's. This can only be good for the whole block as N.B. will obviously get it together sooner than later and we locals will have two strong options (hopefully, both with later hours!).

This is nothing new for the Noodle Box. Back in the day when they were just a cart on the street, they could pull whatever hours they wanted. They were guaranteed a line up.

When they took over the space on Douglas, things seemed to go well at first, but then they were back to old habits. I worked a couple blocks away for a couple of years and basically walked past everyday, often twice a day. Seemed they were usually able to keep their daytime hours, but nighttime was a total crapshoot. I eventually stopped even trying to go, because of how many times they were closed when they were supposed to be open.

-- Matt.

I see that Henry's is moving from his little spot on MacDonald to new digs in the mall at Oak and King Ed - next to the TD Bank - sometime in Nov. (the scary thing is that Nov. is only about 6 weeks away!).

Let's see if he can regain the mojo he lost after all the hype when he first opened.

Next to Henry's on MacDonald is a BBQ/Pizza place called the Smoking Crust. They are formerly a part of Fatzos so not sure what level to expect but they've been open for about 6 months and do mainly takeout and delivery with the usual selection of Ribs, Brisket, Pulled Pork etc. Anyone tried them?

I tried to have lunch at noodle box last Tuesday and even brought out 5 friends with me but when we got their at 1ish the sign on the door said they would only be open from 5 to 9 for now. The doors were unlocked and they had the music blasting from the kitchen and it looked like either someone was dancing or having a seizure in the kitchen. :blink:

I tried to have lunch at noodle box last Tuesday and even brought out 5 friends with me but when we got their at 1ish the sign on the door said they would only be open from 5 to 9 for now. The doors were unlocked and they had the music blasting from the kitchen and it looked like either someone was dancing or having a seizure in the kitchen.  :blink:

Laugh out loud!

I think that summarizes my last 5 trips to the one on Douglas St. Try as I might, I never seemed to catch them open in a whole year. I hear they are good, if you can get in. :wink:

-- Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

Two new openings on the horizon:

1) I have to answer my own questions!!!! Gatropod is hammering away where Khondoor Tandoori (spelling?) on Fourth was (Cypress-ish)

2) 1050 Granville by somone "heavily linked in with A-Town Productions, High Society as well as Club Vibes" Huh?

AND

3) The Vault in Cloverdale by the same people that did the Washington Street Grill

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

On a walk the other night, I noticed that Theresa's Diner on Davie is no more and has been replaced by All India. Right across the street from India Bistro!

With 2 relatively new ones on Robson St as well, looks like the West End is now being bombarded with Indian restaurants, after the last couple of years of gelato invasion!

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

On a walk the other night, I noticed that Theresa's Diner on Davie is no more and has been replaced by All India.  Right across the street from India Bistro! 

With 2 relatively new ones on Robson St as well, looks like the West End is now being bombarded with Indian restaurants, after the last couple of years of gelato invasion!

Yes so it seems. I noticed that one of the gelato places on Denman has closed now so maybe we'll see an Indian restaurant there too.

Cheers,

Anne

Word from Waiterforum is Tom Doughty and Robert Belcham are leaving C to open Fuel Restaurant in the former Arian House of Kebabs location on fourth ave. I don't have any info on the concept yet.

Sounds interesting, but I'm much more interested in this:

http://www.connorbutler.com/about/

Edited by eatvancouver (log)

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Word is Tom Doughty and Robert Belcham are leaving to open Fuel Restaurant in the former Arian House of Kebabs location on fourth ave.  I don't have any info on the concept yet. 

Wow, crazy stuff. Suddenly the same block of W. 4th will have two new and (hopefully) interesting restaurants (Gastropod - New European Cuisine) opening in the next while beside Shijo and then Fuel if the rumour is true. Odd name for a food establishment though what with the different connotations.

Is this Connor Butler restaurant open yet? I've heard nothing about it.

Parkside's Andre Durbach and Chris Stewart have bought the Henry's Kitchen space and will be opening a Mediteranean Style Trattoria. 4025 Macdonald. Henry is moving further East.

Kits is getting some great new talent of late. Perhaps I'll never have to cross a bridge again.

Gastronomista

We all know when things sound too good to be true, they usually are.

(When was the last time you got an update on that highly-photogenic German girl locked in the root cellar, or the Albanian family who walk like chimps, or the Italian family-with-dubious-income murdered in Mexico?)

Remember: Con is the root of Connor.

Just in case, however, I did make an on-line reservation. I'm looking forward to trying the Cigarette of Avocado.

Memo, I see Dogen, Connor and Tupelo - flying home to me

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Parkside's Andre Durbach and Chris Stewart have bought the Henry's Kitchen space and will be opening a Mediteranean Style Trattoria.  4025 Macdonald.  Henry is moving further East.

Kits is getting some great new talent of late.  Perhaps I'll never have to cross a bridge again.

Mediterranean in the hands of Andrey Durbach will be exquisite, I have no doubt!

I already wish my stomach had more room every time I eat at Parkside, so that I could do the pasta course justice.

:biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

We all know when things sound too good to be true, they usually are.

(When was the last time you got an update on that highly-photogenic German girl locked in the root cellar, or the Albanian family who walk like chimps, or the Italian family-with-dubious-income murdered in Mexico?)

Remember: Con is the root of Connor.

Just in case, however, I did make an on-line reservation. I'm looking forward to trying the Cigarette of Avocado.

Memo, I see Dogen, Connor and Tupelo - flying home to me

NOT A CON:

This is a short version of our correspondence:

Hi Cassandra,

We are taking over the location this weekend (October 1st) and it is on the west side of Granville at about sixth, next to the cheesecake cafe in what I hear was an old after hours.

We will have 24 seats avaiable for appointment only in our dining room.

We are pushing hard for a Halloween party opening (fingers crossed, knocking wood), and I will keep you informed of our progress when pertinent.

Cheers,

Chef Connor Butler

Gastronomista