• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

I don't know, but I can't wait to find out.

Sorry, Vancity girl. An assessment based on containers has needs some clarification IMHO.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

how can you guys insult the noodle box? egullet is disappointing :( i love this joint.. it makes better stir-fries than many asian places i know of.. so i'll be there filling up my noodle box cards if u need me !

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I go there every time I am in Victoria and love their noodles and curries. Last time, I had a great special as well: Thai fish cakes with a red curry sauce.

However, there is one thing they don't do well, in my opinion. Their fried dumplings are tough. Now, I've only had them once, as I didn't want to repeat the experience, so if someone else wants to try them and report, please go ahead.

I saw the chef from the Noodlebox on CityCooks and it was good show. The cooking seemed well informed with a good eye towards using authentic ingredients. The chef (forgive me not remembering his name) - had a great enthusiatic and generous vibe. The cooking did not seem to be just throw away "Asia Fusion" food. (I mean - have you seen Emeril try to cook Chinese? Now that's something to take issue with.)

But as with everything - the proof is in the eating. So I will give it try as soon as I am over my stomach bug.

So I will give it try as soon as I am over my stomach bug.

Closed until further notice - canucklehead's reviews pending health board clearance of the stomach.

So where did you pick up the bug?!?!?!?!?

Feel better!

Vera's is coming to the main st corridor.

This is a dual post, Pedros gourmet coffees is no more, soon to be replaced with our next installment of Vera's Burger Shack

expected opening is roughly november.

Cheers

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Vera's is coming to the main st corridor.

This is a dual post, Pedros gourmet coffees is no more, soon to be replaced with our next installment of Vera's Burger Shack

expected opening is roughly november.

Cheers

Hmmm. I have mixed feelings about this Gerald. While I love Vera's meat, this won't be good for my heart. I assume you'll be on Main St. I hope you're not on my way to work. Do you have, like, a buy 10 get one free card? Did I mention I like your burgers? Are you hiring? When will you be open?

mmmmmm. burgers gggggggh (in the style of Homer Simpson)

Good luck boys.

Walking home today I noticed another location of Mui Garden is opening up on Robson St. where the Public Market is. Entrance will be directly from street level, rather than from inside the market.

While I'm talking about Robson St., does anyone have the scoop on what's going in where Hooters used to be? There's been a leased sign up for at least a month now.

There's going to be an El Patio on Denman St., just under the Pacific Oyster Co.

Do you know if that's a new location or a second location for them? I noticed they are closed for "summer holidays" for two weeks, during what you would think would be prime outdoor dining time? Is it the same people who bought it from Chico a couple of years ago?

There's going to be an El Patio on Denman St., just under the Pacific Oyster Co.

Do you know if that's a new location or a second location for them? I noticed they are closed for "summer holidays" for two weeks, during what you would think would be prime outdoor dining time? Is it the same people who bought it from Chico a couple of years ago?

I have no idea, we just saw a sign with a menu up in the papered up windows.

Quentina

Tsim Chai Noodles has opened a 2nd location at 357 (?) Robson. The cross-street is Homer - it's across the street from the Public Library. The name of the store is "Jim's Noodle Express". :hmmm:

I got a small bowl of beef brisket & tendon ($1.50 extra for the 2nd item) with flat rice noodles - cost me $6.92 (incl. tax). There's no discernible difference from the beef brisket & tendon noodles at the original Tsim Chai location. The tendon was flavourful and nice & melty :wub: and the brisket was also flavourful & falling apart (though in a meatier kind of way).

Tsim Chai Noodles has opened a 2nd location at 357 (?) Robson.  The cross-street is Homer - it's across the street from the Public Library.  The name of the store is "Jim's Noodle Express".  :hmmm:

I got a small bowl of beef brisket & tendon ($1.50 extra for the 2nd item) with flat rice noodles - cost me $6.92 (incl. tax).  There's no discernible difference from the beef brisket & tendon noodles at the original Tsim Chai location.  The tendon was flavourful and nice & melty  :wub:  and the brisket was also flavourful & falling apart (though in a meatier kind of way).

Did you happen to notice if they have the congee choices at that one, or is it just noodles? Wonton?

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Tsim Chai Noodles has opened a 2nd location at 357 (?) Robson.

The name of the store is "Jim's Noodle Express".  :hmmm:

Did you happen to notice if they have the congee choices at that one, or is it just noodles? Wonton?

Sadly, no congee.... :sad: They do have wonton noodles though! And you can choose noodles in soup or the "mixed" noodles (which come with the soup on the side). Also available is the "rice combo" with a few choices of the usual beef & broccoli, sweet & sour pork, etc.

I forgot to say that you can choose from different noodles, which include: egg, flat, & rice noodles; vermicelli; ramen; or udon.

Don't forget about the takoyaki from the Japanese place 2 stores down!

Edited by chocomoo (log)

After trying once again to get into Noodle Box- last time it was a Monday and they are closed Mondays, this time it was 8:45 on a Sunday night only to find that they close at 8:00 pm although they really closed at 7:00 (I know still doing the shake down etc. but hey guys, this is Vancouver not sleepy Victoria we can handle later hours!).

So we ended up walking half a block to the new branch of Zakkushi and it turned out just fine. The place is tiny and super cozy - this is going to be tough to get into in the winter time. The prices are probably the same as at their Denman branch which is really inexpensive for such a small place in Kits. Little skewers start at $1.80 each., the idea is mainly charcoal grilled bites of food with some noodle dishes, tofu and a couple of salad items.

We let them do their thing and select 5 or 6 items for us. Standouts were the Beef Tongue, Raw Octopus in Wasabi and the grilled Hamachi. They close at 10:30 on Sunday night. Take note Noodle Box.