• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co. opened Sat. Aug. 12. on the site of the original Bread Gardens, W. 1 near Burrard (across from the Smoking Dog).

They've done a pretty serious reno of the double space and have two decks (shade side though) and their deal is wood fired organic pizzas. They also have a bar.

Noodle Bar up on W. 4th near Burrard is coming along and should be ready fairly soon. Menu boards are up and the space is looking good. Lots of $$$ spent on both N.B. and Rocky Mountain.

Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co. opened Sat. Aug. 12........Noodle Bar up on W. 4th near Burrard is coming along and should be ready fairly soon.............

Lots of $$$ spent on both N.B. and Rocky Mountain.

LOL!!!

Just thinking the same thing m'self.

Going to have to sell a helluva lotta pizza & noodles to pay for those renos.

Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co. opened Sat. Aug. 12........Noodle Bar up on W. 4th near Burrard is coming along and should be ready fairly soon.............

Lots of $$$ spent on both N.B. and Rocky Mountain.

LOL!!!

Just thinking the same thing m'self.

Going to have to sell a helluva lotta pizza & noodles to pay for those renos.

I stopped in this evening for a quick pizza and a pint. They may end up paying for the renos at Rocky Mountain quicker than you'd think. The pizza price range is $17. - $27. for a 12" pie. Lunch prices are less but so is the selection.

$17 gets you their Classic: roasted cherry tomato, goat cheese and asiago. $28. gets you marinated lobster with smoked steelhead, artichokes, creme fraiche.

I had a half and half with the roasted cherry tomatoes etc. on one side along with organic chicken, red onion, pesto and red peppers on the other. That along with a pint came to $27. (including tax). The menu is seriously focused on organics and does some pastas, soups etc. in addition to the pizzas.

I liked the "Classic" portion of my pizza and the flatbread crust is interesting. More crackerlike than a regular pizza dough but not offputtingly so. It has a Ryvita kind of flavour to it. The chicken I will reserve judgement on as the portion was a lot more than I usually want on a pizza and I believe they are in the process of adjusting this one. The pizza could easily be split by two if they had a salad.

It will be interesting to see if the organic only crowd will patronize a place that is making the effort to rise above the "granola" image of most entry level restaurants.

They also have a small but very nicely put together wine list: 7 whites, 9 reds all available by the glass or bottle.

Passed by the 24 hour Taiwan Beef Noodle place on Granville in Marpole last night and it was dark. I noticed there was a white paper notice on the door, but didn't stop the car to read it. Any news of what happened? Was it a health board closure? They seem to always be busy.

Cheers!

Passed by the 24 hour Taiwan Beef Noodle place on Granville in Marpole last night and it was dark.  I noticed there was a white paper notice on the door, but didn't stop the car to read it.  Any news of what happened?  Was it a health board closure?  They seem to always be busy. 

Cheers!

I think it is kind of irresponsible to wonder if a piece of paper seen from a distance is a health board notice. It may simply be a notice stating that it's their annual vacation. This is how rumours start.

Passed by the 24 hour Taiwan Beef Noodle place on Granville in Marpole last night and it was dark.  I noticed there was a white paper notice on the door, but didn't stop the car to read it.  Any news of what happened?  Was it a health board closure?  They seem to always be busy. 

Cheers!

I think it is kind of irresponsible to wonder if a piece of paper seen from a distance is a health board notice. It may simply be a notice stating that it's their annual vacation. This is how rumours start.

Actually, the same owners used to have a beef noodle shop around 39th and Main. I used to go to this location because the service at the Marpole location is almost non-existent. One day, it was closed and had a piece of paper on the door saying that they are on vacation. I looked through the window and saw that the tables and chairs were still there. However, it stayed dark for over 2 weeks. Thereafter, I went to their 24 hour Beef Noodle in Marpole and inquired about the 39th location. They told me that the 39th location is close for good. I wonder..... :blink:

I was actually wondering about it because I've stopped going there after 2 or 3 incidents where I no longer thought the food was safe.

Now that I have taken some time to search a bit further I have found that my instinct was 100% correct: http://www.vch.ca/environmental/docs/food/..._closures06.pdf

Apparently they were closed on August 9th for poor maintenance and unsanitary conditions. The exact reason I stopped going there, and the reason for my initial inquiry to the board.

My apologies if my accurate gut reaction to a closure offended you.

Cheers!

I was actually wondering about it because I've stopped going there after 2 or 3 incidents where I no longer thought the food was safe.

Now that I have taken some time to search a bit further I have found that my instinct was 100% correct: http://www.vch.ca/environmental/docs/food/..._closures06.pdf

Apparently they were closed on August 9th for poor maintenance and unsanitary conditions. The exact reason I stopped going there, and the reason for my initial inquiry to the board.

My apologies if my accurate gut reaction to a closure offended you.

Cheers!

Believe me Vancouver I'm not offended and there may have been a 90% chance that your "gut reaction" was right. It still is irresponsible to conjecture on a public forum as to whether a piece of paper is a health department notice when it could have been about a dozen different things.

I know nothing about the business you are referring to but you should either pull over and go see what the paper says before posting about it or simply state that they are closed and you saw a notice and wondered why.

Like I said, rumours start way too easily and it's a shame when hard working people are having to defend themselves for (in some cases) no reason.

Believe me Vancouver I'm not offended and there may have been a 90% chance that your "gut reaction" was right. It still is irresponsible to conjecture on a public forum as to whether a piece of paper is a health department notice when it could have been about a dozen different things.

I know nothing about the business you are referring to but you should either pull over and go see what the paper says before posting about it or simply state that they are closed and you saw a notice and wondered why.

Like I said, rumours start way too easily and it's a shame when hard working people are having to defend themselves for (in some cases) no reason.

My apologies to you. I should have stated in the original posting that I had stopped going there for what I thought were questionable sanitary conditions and that now I noticed it was closed and wondered what had happened. I think the message is pretty much the same, but perhaps you would view it as equally irresponsible to post a negative review of a place and then mention it was closed.

Let's keep this thread on track and focused on openings and closures going forward.

Cheers!

So I was in the Les Amis at Park Royal and they had cards announcing the (impending?) opening of Cote Mer, Alain Rayé's, of La Regalade, new restaurant. Needless to say I am very excited. I've since lost the card but I seem to remember it saying that they would be located on Marine Drive across from Thunder Bird Marina in West Van.

How can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Just in case EN takes some time to find a new location, I highly recommend you go there before they close their Granville Street restaurant. I think it is one of the most underrated Japanese restaurants in town. I am guilty of not going in the past year or so myself but I used to go often and always had excellent food. It was an interesting menu, great quality, good service. Note to self before the end of August!

Just in case EN takes some time to find a new location, I highly recommend you go there before they close their Granville Street restaurant. I think it is one of the most underrated Japanese restaurants in town. I am guilty of not going in the past year or so myself but I used to go often and always had excellent food. It was an interesting menu,  great quality, good service. Note to self before the end of August!

I haven't been for a while either, but I have to recommend a couple of dishes that I obsessed about when I first had them. The tuna nori and the aburi salmon. :wub:

Their miso soup is also the most interesting that I've ever had anywhere!

Quentina

More accurately:

The Noodle Box

1867 West 4th Avenue

Vancouver, BC

tel: 604-734-1310

..............check out www.thenoodlebox.net

Let me know how it is if anyone goes.

"Had a tasty dinner courtesy of the newly opened Noodle Box on 4th.

Very friendly staff well trained capable and enthusiastic-a solid operation.

Cambodian Jungle Curry was more than the sum it's complex parts-the kind of food I wish I made @ home more often if buying all the ingredients wasn't such a hassle for one person. "

ummm, isn't that the place that serves stuff in those chinese take-out boxes (that real chinese restaurants don't even use anymore)?

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

^ What is your point? That you object to the little foldy boxes? I am sure they wouldn't mind if you brought your own. I don't think that they are billing themselves as a chinese place- real or imaginary. Looks more like SE Asian influence judging from the online menu.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Can we please play nice in this forum.  I am getting sick of the negative vibe I am reading here.  I think flowbee may have just been asking a question.  Why read more into it than that?

Oh please! There is nothing wrong with bit of snarkyness as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Flowbee is obviously trying for the gentle putdown of an Asian restaurant that does not have a specific focus.... and the gauntlet is thrown!

I've wondered myself at the excitement this place has generated from the many fans of it's Victoria location. They certainly seem to have put in the effort on the space if nothing else. Can it be as good as they say? By Vancouver standards?