• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

When we went to order several items were unavailable but we weren't told so until after the orders were placed.

Was walking around the Drive area a couple of days ago, and saw a huge semi-trailer truck driving west on Hastings, the size of the ones that deliver to Save-On foods or MacDonalds. Was surprised to see emblazoned on the side of the trailer "Joey's Only". Presumably the driver was heading to the new place, coming from the direction of Coquitlam? Short of items, with that size of truck? :hmmm:

Looked into the new one awhile back, but didn't eat there, so can't comment on the quality. The menu didn't impress, mostly the usual offerings of similiar establishments, including the all too common over priced edaname :wink: Noticed that lamb was offered, which is unusual, peaked my interest, but prices seemed really quite high overall, compared to similiar offerings at the other usual suspects. I'd choose another place in that area. As far as

don't think even the "recently opened" excuse can apply here. Joey's have a number of locations that are operating at full steam already. The whole point of these places is that the operations should be replicable and consistent. If it falls short in this measure - then the big redeeming factor in favor of dining at a CFD's has evaporated
probably it turned out to be really bad timing, as far as acquiring good staff and such, especially in the location?

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I am glad you had a better experience at Joey's than we did.

Foodie:

Reposted for your amusement:

Timely this, as the families (mine & my X's) got together with our sons for a colective birthday & Father's Day dinner at the Joey's on Lougheed. I won't bore you with the predictable details, but two incidents did stand out.

1) J & I ordered a bottle of "Smoking Loon Viognier" (fairly priced at $32). Server looks me in the eye and asks "Um ... is that wine?" I replied (as politely as I could without snickering) "Yes" and trying to be helpful, added "it's a white wine." Server again looks me in the eye and says "Could you just give me the number?" (their wine list is numbered). I obviously didn't understand how thinks worked. "A bottle of #123 please!"

2) My brother orders a Warsteiner, one of several imports on their beer list. Same server, "Um ... is that beer?" Brother replies ... "Sorry, I don't see a number beside it on the menu."

A.

Looks like Zakkushi is opening up on 4th in the old Totoya location-I think that was the name on the sign.

Noodle Box just down the street still some way from opening up-maybe it has something to do with the tradesmen they've hired taking frequent breaks out front with a beer/joint/both. :raz:

Caribbean Hut Express opened at 4530 Hastings in Burnaby a few months ago. But I haven't seen anything posted on here about it. It apparently relocated from someplace on Granville street where it operated under a different name since 1985. Maybe someone else knows that place?

Tried it tonight for the first time. It is a very very casual place. The menu is mixed half and half between Caribbean and Canadian food. The jerk chicken was spiced "just right" and came with a side of rice and peas and a small green salad. The salad was the kind you get in one of the packages at a market. The jerk however was excellent, and the chicken was cooked perfectly. It was a large thigh and drumstick served as a single piece and covered in the sauce. The spicing had enough kick to remind me of the Caribbean. Mixing some of the sauce with the rice and peas made for a flavourful and inexpensive dinner. Grand total was $6.95 for the dish. What a bargain!

Some of the Canadian menu items peaked my curiosity, such as their pizza, which has supposidly has some banana and cinammon in the crust. I haven't heard of that one before, and would be willing to try a slice of it just to see what such a sweet crust would taste like.

Apparently the original restaurant was run by a lady from Jamaica with the current owners. The Jamaican lady has returned to Jamaica, but her recipes stayed behind.

Based on the look of the place, I wasn't expecting to get such a tasty jerk. A pleasant surprise overall!

Cheers!

Edited by Vancouver (log)

Speaking of Red Pepper, they are finally open as I went past yesterday on Broadway!  :shock:

Red Pepper is no more, being replaced by Portabelo Restaurant, to be opening soon, (looks like very soon).

courtesy of jsolomon

I discovered a relatively-new pizza place in Steveston that's definitely worth a visit.

Steveston Pizza Co. is at the corner of Moncton and 3rd. Ave., with another location opening up soon on Mary Hill Road in Poco. Really innovative pizza ideas - I ordered the Journey of Mystery - "a sea of mushrooms, rivers of porcini dusted brie and a mist of truffle oil". It was outstanding. Sadly, the pizza's are not done in a wood oven but they are delicious nonetheless. Topping seem to be of the highest quality. This place is Lombardo's only serious competition, imho.

A couple of other pizza's are: Going Back - "honey-roasted chicken breast, gorgonzola and fig mousse, baby arugula julienne and maple glazed walnuts (no tomato sauce). The Ketubah - "asparagus and smoked salmon fallen in love, bocconcini and sage hand in hand, a marriage of Grana Padano and Mascarpone cheese and a shower of pink peppercorn.

They also have the usual varieties of pizza's and their prices are a just a bit more expensive than the regular delivery variety. Anybody who makes pizza's with bocconcini, mascarpone and gorgonzola deserves to charge more.

They don't deliver - pick-up only. I understand that the chef/owner insists that his pizza's be eaten as quickly as possible, and that a hot pizza in a box for 20 minutes would be an injustice. There's a little park right across the street, perfect for picnicing. Bring lots of napkins.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

I discovered a relatively-new pizza place in Steveston that's definitely worth a visit.

Steveston Pizza Co. is at the corner of Moncton and 3rd. Ave., with another location opening up soon on Mary Hill Road in Poco.

Any connection with Pajo's? The only reason I ask is thier other location is Port Moody, and the Steveston/Tri-cities crossover seems odd. And I'll check this place out this weekend, if it's half as good as you suggest, I'l single handidly keep this place afloat.

(Is handidly a word? Looks odd, sounds right. Yeah I could use tyhis interweb thing to check, but I'll let my stupidity stand.)

And the no delivery rationale seems weak, Napoli has scads of Vespa riding Pizza toting delivery boys running around, and if it's good enough for Naples, it's good enough for me.

I agree - but it sure sounds good, doesn't it? And check out the owner - he's the one wearing the chef's outfit (what are they called anyways?) and the very intense look on his face. The look reminded me of the "soup Nazi" - not the demeanor, just the intensity.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

The Ketubah - "asparagus and smoked salmon fallen in love, bocconcini and sage hand in hand, a marriage of Grana Padano and Mascarpone cheese and a shower of pink peppercorn.

That's the silliest thing I've seen in a long time. Are the pizzas good enough to overcome their names?

That's the silliest thing I've seen in a long time. Are the pizzas good enough to overcome their names?

Why's it silly? People have been misappropriating cultural/religious touchstones and iconography for millenia and retasking it for their own purposes. Granted the pizza itself sounds rediculous, sage and smoked salmon do not seem like a marriage made in heaven but at least it doesn't contain pancetta. Actually, that would be hilarious.

The next hip modern Vancouver restaurant I go into that doesn't have a Buddha head statue in it somewhere will be the first.

Steveston Pizza Co. is at the corner of Moncton and 3rd. Ave., with another location opening up soon on Mary Hill Road in Poco.

Any connection with Pajo's? The only reason I ask is thier other location is Port Moody, and the Steveston/Tri-cities crossover seems odd. And I'll check this place out this weekend, if it's half as good as you suggest, I'l single handidly keep this place afloat.

(Is handidly a word? Looks odd, sounds right. Yeah I could use tyhis interweb thing to check, but I'll let my stupidity stand.)

I noticed SPC, across from where Mama's used to be and wondered what is was like. Mary Hill is a long long away from Port Moody though, isn't it?

courtesy of jsolomon

I noticed SPC, across from where Mama's used to be and wondered what is was like. Mary Hill is a long long away from Port Moody though, isn't it?

The actual address is #102 - 2540 Mary Hill Road, Port Coquitlam

~ Robert Byrne

I tried calling Be Ga Ne Korean restaurant in Burnaby yesterday and the number was disconnected. Does anyone know if it is relocating or permanently closed?!?!?!? I'm craving Korean Royal Cuisine!!!!!!

Thanks!

I tried calling Be Ga Ne Korean restaurant in Burnaby yesterday and the number was disconnected.  Does anyone know if it is relocating or permanently closed?!?!?!?  I'm craving Korean Royal Cuisine!!!!!! 

Thanks!

Bad news. Our good friend Ena is a long-time fan of Be Ga Ne and was planning to take us last month - only to discover it had shut down. It sounded wonderful, unlike anything I've ever experienced at a Korean restaurant - which makes it all the more depressing.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet but the Beijing has closed its doors and been replaced by a Japanese restaurant, Kimono.

I think it may also be related to the one at the northern side of Granville near the UK building as well..

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

new malaysian restaurant opened this week in new west: tamarind hill. my wife suprised me with takeout from there for dinner :biggrin:

This place is about three blocks from my house. I am looking forward to trying this out. I am curious to know how it compares to the Banana Leaf.

I am looking for excuses not to go downtown to eat.

I am looking for excuses not to go downtown to eat.

I'm confused by this. There seems to be one or two good places to eat outside of downtown, no matter what your style or price range. In fact, without using any math or facts or scientific method, I would say that there is more good dining outside of downtown than in downtown itself.