• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

Nice.  Are you using real tortillas like the cornmeal or maize ones, or going with the flour tortillas?

yup, actually going to make our own :shock:

Well Amigo Mio you're about to learn a helluva lot about Maiz-more than you ever thought possible.

It's easy to work with but sours quickly you need a helluva lotta turnover to make producing tortillas pay.

I say this as a long time customer of Mexican tortillerrias-most of which would go broke overnight without Govt subsidies.

Que Pasa un Buen Tortilla!

Nice.  Are you using real tortillas like the cornmeal or maize ones, or going with the flour tortillas?

Well Amigo Mio you're about to learn a helluva lot about Maiz-more than you ever thought possible.

It's easy to work with but sours quickly you need a helluva lotta turnover to make producing tortillas pay.

I say this as a long time customer of Mexican tortillerrias-most of which would go broke overnight without Govt subsidies.

thanks sam, already have, hopefully pills wll take the headache away

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Is there a possibility of selling packages of tortillas? Frozen perhaps?

Quentina

Is there a possibility of selling packages of tortillas? Frozen perhaps?

i would love to, but lets not put the cart before the horse, hopefully one day

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

How do the folks at Taco Loco at 2651 Commercial Drive feel about your choice of names?

Taco Loco is a working name because we are crazy about taco's.

No harm done, I see the paper announcing the Taco Loco name has been removed from the windows.

All I care about is being able to buy a decently authentic taco .....and the fact that it and Noodle Box are within a couple of blocks of my place bodes real well for the future of my dining excursions in the hood!

Now if even one of these places fulfills it's promise I'll be a happy camper.

Is Salt open?

From Judith Lane in the Georgia Straight:

With a savoury menu of artisanal cheeses; charcuterie from Oyama and Seattle’s Salumi; a wine list sporting 10 red wines, 10 whites, and 10 sherries, all by the glass; plus Tiger, Unibroue, and Brooklyn beers sealing the deal, Sean Heather (Irish Heather) and partner Scott Hawthorn have an out-of-the-park hit with Salt Tasting Room. Find it in Blood Alley, Gastown.

Gastronomista

Is Salt open?

With a savoury menu of artisanal cheeses; charcuterie from Oyama and Seattle’s Salumi; a wine list sporting 10 red wines, 10 whites, and 10 sherries, all by the glass; plus Tiger, Unibroue, and Brooklyn beers sealing the deal, Sean Heather (Irish Heather) and partner Scott Hawthorn have an out-of-the-park hit with Salt Tasting Room. Find it in Blood Alley, Gastown.

10 Sherries; that is brave. My annual comsumption of Sherry is about four glasses a year :wacko:

Ralph

No culture exists without food and drink

Is Salt open?

Monday or Tuesday of next week. Everything's ready, but city hall is being difficult.

I know where I'm going next weekend!

A.

ps - WTF is up with grfon1? 1001 posts? Not much to do in Silver City eh?

I asked about Salt on WB and WF today when I read Judith's glowing snippet. Salt is still waiting on some papers. Looks like they'll have to till Tuesday to "hit it out of the park".

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Is Salt open?

Yeah, c'mon Judith let's rein it in a bit. Unless you're doing their press release, advance announcements of "out-of-the-park hits" before the doors open (no matter what the pedigree of the parties involved) are always just a bit tacky.

Monday or Tuesday of next week.  Everything's ready, but city hall is being difficult.
I asked about Salt on WB and WF today when I read Judith's glowing snippet. Salt is still waiting on some papers. Looks like they'll have to till Tuesday to "hit it out of the park".

Thanks for clarifying Andrew. Guess that's why you're the writer. :blink:

A.