• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

A breathtaking room. Fun party.

Right you are!

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Per a posting in the Kedah house thread, Orchid Delight (formerly of Burnaby near BCIT) is opening up at 2445 Burrard on June 1 with their Singaporean cuisine. Looking forward to their re-opening with the Hainanese chicken rice and oyster omelets!

Per a posting in the Kedah house thread, Orchid Delight (formerly of Burnaby near BCIT) is opening up at 2445 Burrard on June 1 with their Singaporean cuisine.  Looking forward to their re-opening with the Hainanese chicken rice and oyster omelets!

This is the best news of the day! Better yet that now it's closer to me! Don't forget their Laksa. :biggrin:

Quentina

A self description from the website:
Republic is a gritty, London style bar located at 958 Granville St. in the heart of the Entertainment District. Republic combines a progressive menu and innovative cocktail lists, while providing a selection of the standard fare with novel twists. The design is modern and eclectic, but with a comfortable environment.

"Gritty". Is that supposed to be a good thing? Does it mean they won't clean the place very often, or what?

We ventured to Republic the other night for dinner and drinks with a few friends. First impressions were "wow", great liquor setup behind the bar, plasmas everywhere, cool interior, and a gorgeous wait staff. Lasting impressions were, mediocre to bleh food and overpriced drinks. We had the Chips w. Cheesy Salsa, Yam Fries, Burger, Salmon, Roast Chicken, a "rosemary" infused drink, and a few beers. It was only their 2nd day open so I'm sure kinks are being ironed out like our waitress not knowing what items were on their menu and artwork falling off the walls.

Walking by on Saturday night was a bit funny, with a line-up outside at 10:00 PM and the place maybe 40% full.

The space was the most impressive though with upstairs and downstairs bars, and a pretty industrial look / feel. Lots of attitude from the un-knowledgeable staff combined with the other negatives above = probably won't be back.

the Living Room Bistro

... heard that changes are in the works...... anyone have the low down?

I heard that it has been purchased by James Iranzad (of Hells Kitchen, Nevermind, and Abigail's Party).

I just called the Living Room Bistro and they are now called the Flying

Tiger (I just got scared and hung up :shock: - actually the mailbox was full). Know anything?

Gastronomista

A self description from the website:
Republic is a gritty, London style bar located at 958 Granville St. in the heart of the Entertainment District. Republic combines a progressive menu and innovative cocktail lists, while providing a selection of the standard fare with novel twists. The design is modern and eclectic, but with a comfortable environment.

"Gritty". Is that supposed to be a good thing? Does it mean they won't clean the place very often, or what?

We ventured to Republic the other night for dinner and drinks with a few friends. First impressions were "wow", great liquor setup behind the bar, plasmas everywhere, cool interior, and a gorgeous wait staff. Lasting impressions were, mediocre to bleh food and overpriced drinks. We had the Chips w. Cheesy Salsa, Yam Fries, Burger, Salmon, Roast Chicken, a "rosemary" infused drink, and a few beers. It was only their 2nd day open so I'm sure kinks are being ironed out like our waitress not knowing what items were on their menu and artwork falling off the walls.

Walking by on Saturday night was a bit funny, with a line-up outside at 10:00 PM and the place maybe 40% full.

The space was the most impressive though with upstairs and downstairs bars, and a pretty industrial look / feel. Lots of attitude from the un-knowledgeable staff combined with the other negatives above = probably won't be back.

Hmmmnnn ... fits my understanding of "gritty" :raz:

Plasmas everywhere? Gorgeous wait staff?

Looks like I got to get me some more "gritty" in my life.

Clews on Main between 23rd and 24th is under new management again. Rekados modern Fillipino cuisine is opening up in the strip mall between 24th and King Ed. Hopefully they exorcise that location as well, as it has been a revolving door of culinary experiments. Actually, that service could be a neat little niche market for an enterprising eGulleter.  Exorcisms R Us.

Clews to be called Crave and is a project by Chef Wayne Martin from the Four Seasons Hotel.

Gastronomista

A friend noticed that the Distillery on 4th Avenue has a new name "Room 18" written on their awning (although "Distillery" is still written on the window). I wonder if this is a City required name change (e.g. Moonshine), or a new owner. Does anyone know?

A friend noticed that the Distillery on 4th Avenue has a new name "Room 18" written on their awning (although "Distillery" is still written on the window).  I wonder if this is a City required name change (e.g. Moonshine), or a new owner.  Does anyone know?

Name change, as with Moonshine, was required by Liquor Licensing not City of Vancouver. Apparently they were worried that people might be "confused" by the names.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Tony Roma's at the corner of Howe and Pacific has closed. (Thankfully.) Should be interesting to see what happens with that space and the space next door which apparently is opening sometime soon as "Intuition." Good location with all of the residential towers. Perhaps something good will come in the place of Tony Roma's.

Cheers!

Cityfood reports that Addess Bistro is closed:

After operating for only a little more than a year, Luciano Loy and Carol Gadsby have sold their Adesso Bistro on West 1st Ave., and are looking for a new venue somewhere in the area of 41st and Boulevard.

Cheers,

Anne

Per a posting in the Kedah house thread, Orchid Delight (formerly of Burnaby near BCIT) is opening up at 2445 Burrard on June 1 with their Singaporean cuisine.  Looking forward to their re-opening with the Hainanese chicken rice and oyster omelets!

Confirmation. I passed by today and in fact there was an open sign in the window. Didn't have a chance to try it out. But will soon!

(There is free parking in the back as well by the way.)

Cheers!

Although not a restuarant... Sugar and Sugar are closing down their uber cool space very soon.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

After operating for only a little more than a year, Luciano Loy and Carol Gadsby have sold their Adesso Bistro on West 1st Ave., and are looking for a new venue somewhere in the area of 41st and Boulevard.

Too bad. Adesso was our favourite casual Italian restaurant. Best braised rabbit I've had. Can't say I'm too surprised by the news. I recall several months ago, on a Sunday night, we were the only table in the entire place. I guess the fact that it was the night of the Oscars telecast may have something to do with it as well. I'm glad they are are keeping their chef and looking forward to their new location.

Onto other news, Beijing Restaurant (885 Hornby) is closed. Kimono Japanese Restaurant will be openning there soon. Apparently, there is already one in the 400-block of Granville.

Should be interesting to see what happens with that space and the space next door which apparently is opening sometime soon as "Intuition." 

The space next to Tony Roma's will be called "Infinity". They are hoping for a mid month opening.

Infinity

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

Confirmation. I passed by today and in fact there was an open sign in the window. Didn't have a chance to try it out. But will soon!

(There is free parking in the back as well by the way.)

Cheers!

Was just there and now have a happy full belly!

In other opening news, not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but a new, very cool and slick looking lounge just opened on Davie st. 1181 is the address and the name.

Haven't been myself, but a few friends have, and all have given it rave reviews. As far as I know, it's just drinks....no munchies.

Quentina

Why? I don't mean that Kerrisdale couldn't - badly - use a little Adesso Bistro action - but were they doing so poorly in their Kits location? We happily frequent/ed Adesso for both weekend brunch and weekday dinner and there was usually fairly brisk business going on. It is/was a great place - what gives? Just making a great deal on selling a previously loser corner locale to reopen with more capital? Props to them if that's the situation . . .

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Just a block from 1218.

Opening within two months of eachother.

Isn't this in the Book of Revelations?

God save Vancouver.

:wacko:

Well, you know that the BCLDB will make you change your name if you have anything involving liquor in the name.....

....numbers must just seem easier than thinking up something original. I mean look at the new bistro in West Van. This guy used to own Cafe de Paris and The Railcar. No one can think anymore. Bin 941 started it.

JMHO

1181 was put together by (co-owner) David Battersby, one of Canada's most highly regarded young architects, known for his sleek, modern designs. The name was chosen almost a year ago, as getting approval for this sort of an establishment is a long (and expensive) process. The project is well capitalized, and they should be there for a while.

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC

1181 was put together by (co-owner) David Battersby, one of Canada's most highly regarded young architects, known for his sleek, modern designs. The name was chosen almost a year ago, as getting approval for this sort of an establishment is a long (and expensive) process. The project is well capitalized, and they should be there for a while.

In my correspondence with Mr. Battersby from just a couple of months ago (while the space was still very much a shell) there was no mention of a name. I suppose I'm just surprised that such a renowned architect/designer couldn't come up with something a little more original for what is likely an original space. High capital aside, the name eludes me.

Perhaps we're all wrong. Maybe it alludes to something other than the address. 1181 was the year the University of Paris was founded. It was also the year St. Francis of Assisi was born, and the first known instance of glass being used in English homes.

But then again, perhaps not.

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

In my correspondence with Mr. Battersby from just a couple of months ago (while the space was still very much a shell) there was no mention of a name. I suppose I'm just surprised that such a renowned architect/designer couldn't come up with something a little more original for what is likely an original space. High capital aside, the name eludes me.

The name was in place prior to the request for a permit going before city council last November. It is not a foregone conclusion that council will ok a new liquor primary location. Sometimes it is best to choose an innocuous name....and let the space speak for itself.

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC