• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

Looks like Moonshine in Gastown is now called Six Acres, seemingly the name derives from the fact that Gastown was originally only six acres in size.Nice to see that they now have a patio open perfect for those sunny days when you want a great bottle of beer or a glass of wine. They have a really sexy new beer from Spain Alhambra for $5.50 very tasty on a warm sunny afternoon :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Looks like Moonshine in Gastown is now called Six Acres, seemingly the name derives from the fact that Gastown was originally only six acres in size.Nice to see that they now have a patio open perfect for those sunny days when you want a great bottle of beer or a glass of wine. They have a really sexy new beer from Spain Alhambra for $5.50 very tasty on a warm sunny afternoon :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Stephen

The patio is indeed great news. When we were there, we overheard one of the guys jokingly say that they might change the name to "Prohibition". Thought that would've been good!

Quentina

Ordinary cafe on 4th has been replaced with Sushi Hut? But the sign now readings Ordinary Sushi Hut!

Cheers!

What!

How many is that now- I lost count.

Ten in 20 years

steve

sidebar- somebody needs to exercise that place

Agreed. The location is less than ideal in many ways. Perhaps it should just be converted to some other type of store?!?!?!?

Cheers!

Ordinary cafe on 4th has been replaced with Sushi Hut? But the sign now readings Ordinary Sushi Hut!

Cheers!

What!

Ten in 20 years

steve

Agreed. The location is less than ideal in many ways. Perhaps it should just be converted to some other type of store?!?!?!?

Cheers!

As mentioned about a page back (Post 867?). That section of the block is being developed and the owners of the Ordinary are running a cash only sushi joint until the demo work starts. So I guess you could call this the exorcism.

Clews on Main between 23rd and 24th is under new management again. Rekados modern Fillipino cuisine is opening up in the strip mall between 24th and King Ed. Hopefully they exorcise that location as well, as it has been a revolving door of culinary experiments. Actually, that service could be a neat little niche market for an enterprising eGulleter. Exorcisms R Us.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I received a promo in the mail announcing that Dennis Huang, chef/owner of the former Ordinary Cafe is now the chef at Gramercy Grill on Arbutus. Haven't been yet to see if he's reworked the menu . . .

Didn't realize that he/they were also running the Sushi Hut.

Cheers!

What!

Ten in 20 years

steve

Cheers!

As mentioned about a page back (Post 867?). That section of the block is being developed and the owners of the Ordinary are running a cash only sushi joint until the demo work starts. So I guess you could call this the exorcism.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Menu at the Gramercy is awesome - I live right beside, so I go there all the time. They are doing a wine dinner with Mission Hill soon as well.

PM if you want more details or to be added to their email list.

Disclaimer - I write their newsletters, but I swear the pay is not enough to make me at all biased. :o) I vote by my devotion to the place. Trevor will make anyone feel welcome at the bar. Even me.

Gastronomista

Ironically, perhaps, the owner of the block on West 4th undergoing redevelopment, and landlord for Ordinary Cafe, is the owner of Orange Julius. He made his money one dog at a time.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

The End Of An Era-First Ave Bread Garden Gone Forever

Well that it's a tiny piece of city history has bit the dust the First Ave Bread Garden is gone.

Whether done in by changing tastes or (IMO) gross mismanagement the 'hood will never be the same.

I could see it coming when the unspeakably dumb dorks in charge 'renovated' 2 years ago-totally idiocy in design.

Weird huh? Seems the same thing happened in Richmond, close to Kwantlen College. They were always packed, open late, that original decor but it worked. They closed down foooooorever to reno, finally opened in that horrid cold new style, now they are no more. Presumably the same will happen to the one in South Surrey/White Rock, if it hasn't happened yet (closing), the decor is gawd awful. :blink:

The Bread Garden in South Surrey is now no more.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

The End Of An Era-First Ave Bread Garden Gone Forever

Well that it's a tiny piece of city history has bit the dust the First Ave Bread Garden is gone.

Whether done in by changing tastes or (IMO) gross mismanagement the 'hood will never be the same.

I could see it coming when the unspeakably dumb dorks in charge 'renovated' 2 years ago-totally idiocy in design.

Weird huh? Seems the same thing happened in Richmond, close to Kwantlen College. They were always packed, open late, that original decor but it worked. They closed down foooooorever to reno, finally opened in that horrid cold new style, now they are no more. Presumably the same will happen to the one in South Surrey/White Rock, if it hasn't happened yet (closing), the decor is gawd awful. :blink:

The Bread Garden in South Surrey is now no more.

Ah, well, not surprised, but thanks for letting us know. Slightly curious what might end up there in it's place, if you happen by that area in the future.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Looks like there was a fire at the Double Double congee house on Kingsway and Vitoria. Perhaps a grease fire or a turf war with Congee House opening a new branch at Kingsway and Joyce...

Don't mess with these congee makers.... our you will end up as the hot pot special.

Its been a while since I've had a chance to head up to Granville but I was checking out a new place opening soon and then decided to check out some of the more recent additions to the street. I noticed a place called the republik (anyone got any info on who, what and when) that seems to be ready to open soon.

Harry Sturhahn chef/owner

Central Bistro & Lounge

Its been a while since I've had a chance to head up to Granville but I was checking out a new place opening soon and then decided to check out some of the more recent additions to the street. I noticed a place called the republik (anyone got any info on who, what and when) that seems to be ready to open soon.

Rebublic website is here: click.

A self description from the website:

Republic is a gritty, London style bar located at 958 Granville St. in the heart of the Entertainment District. Republic combines a progressive menu and innovative cocktail lists, while providing a selection of the standard fare with novel twists. The design is modern and eclectic, but with a comfortable environment.

City Food has more details today. It is owned by the Denman Street Freehouse, Granville Room, etc people.

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

[
There's something new from the Glowbal folk under construction on Granville 1100 block of so. Anyone?

It is called Sansafir, after the ancient island that lay in the Red Sea. Sansafir Island was a trading nexus between Asia, the Middle East and the cultures of the Mediterranean, and we can expect (from what I hear at least) the flavours to reflect such diversity. Opening in late winter/early spring.

Incidentally, and if you haven't heard already, Food TV is doing an Opening Soon show on both Century and Sansafir. Sean and Emad will undoubtedly make for excellent TV.

:biggrin:

Sansafir had its opening party last night.

Cheers,

Anne

A self description from the website:
Republic is a gritty, London style bar located at 958 Granville St. in the heart of the Entertainment District. Republic combines a progressive menu and innovative cocktail lists, while providing a selection of the standard fare with novel twists. The design is modern and eclectic, but with a comfortable environment.

"Gritty". Is that supposed to be a good thing? Does it mean they won't clean the place very often, or what?

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.