• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

I don't get what happened to Soupspoons- it was a good product, good concept. Did they expand too quickly? I used to take my kid to the one on Broadway and Heather. He loved the lemongrass chicken soup.

I think this was incorrectly reported. The place at 4th and Vine was doing a brisk trade an hour or so ago.

Although I am sad to see Uncle Herbert's go (their clam chowder was to die for), I am very excited to hear through the rumour mill that Ladner is getting a Mexican restaurant.  It is supposedly from the same people who owned Carlos and Bud's under the Granville Street Bridge.  Can anyone verify this?

Something new in Ladner - yay!  I am getting tired of the pub food there.

Yes, I can confirm this, I was out there last week to visit. The owner is Brad Herauf, who was a minority owner of Carlos n' Bud's. He moved out to Ladner a few years back to raise a family, and he has brought in a bunch of new kitchen equipment and will be opening a smokehouse Tex-Mex place, a bit more upscale than Carlos n' Bud's was, basically meaning none of the ridiculously cheap specials that attract the questionable clientele. The name will be "The Boot & Sombrero". Brad will be bringing the big drop down screen with projection TV to show sporting events. Opening date at this point is set for April 3, so we'll see how it goes!

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

The Soho Bar & Grill that took over the Fog 'n' Suds space

on Lougheed & Bainbridge (N. Bby) is now open. Went in for

a look-see. Didn't have anything to eat (same old, same old

boring bar menu everyone else has), but the pints were $3.75, even for

Stella, so that was enough of a draw. The room doesn't seem

changed, same config. Not particularly comfortable, don't know

what it is. Might be good to watch a game or two.

Across the street, the Russian restaurant Romanoff's has opened

in Rain's old spot. Haven't been in but see they're advertising

lunch specials for $11.95. Nothing on the menu is less than that.

Seems a wee bit steep for lunch...

The all-Robson edition:

Flamenco Cafe is now "Cinch" (1517 Robson), serving Lavazza coffee, paninis and such.

Copper Onion Curry Bar is now a Ho Ho Fastfood outlet. When did that happen?

Koreana (1256 Robson, upstairs) is now "Indian Flavours" (as opposed to the similarly named "India's Flavour" and "Flavour of India"). Warm earth-tone interiors with dark wood. Above-average wine-list. Even a website: http://www.indianflavoursrestaurant.com/

Tried their Rogan Josh (tender pieces of lamb in a creamy, slightly zesty sauce), Chicken Tandoori and Eggplant Bhartha (not as salty as most other places). We'll still go to India Bistro (another favourite of ours in the neighbourhood) for the fun atmosphere, but we'll return to Indian Flavours for the higher quality of the food.

Shinpo (Bute and Robson) has renovated and is now "Shinpo and Shinpo". Similar-looking Korean and Japanese menu. The posters and pictures outside on the Korean items seem to be of much higher quality than the Japanese items. Is this a chain restaurant in Korea?

And finally,a detour to Commercial Drive,

I heard that the owners of Sash (formerly Bukowski's) on Commercial are desperate to sell. I wonder what's going to happen there. It is a stellar location... I heard a rumor that Incindio is interested.

Sash is now subtitled "Global Soul Food", with menu items like lamb shank braised in mole sauce, fish-fingers (i.e. salmon on sticks) and Vietnamese-style ceviche.

• 3 weeks later...
Koreana (1256 Robson, upstairs) is now "Indian Flavours" (as opposed to the similarly named "India's Flavour" and "Flavour of India").  Warm earth-tone interiors with dark wood.  Above-average wine-list.  Even a website: http://www.indianflavoursrestaurant.com/

Tried their Rogan Josh (tender pieces of lamb in a creamy, slightly zesty sauce), Chicken Tandoori and Eggplant Bhartha (not as salty as most other places).  We'll still go to India Bistro (another favourite of ours in the neighbourhood) for the fun atmosphere, but we'll return to Indian Flavours for the higher quality of the food.

Indian Flavours sent out some delivery flyers to our building the other week, and their arrival in our mailbox perfectly coincided with us a) wanting Indian and b) being too lazy to leave the house in search of some. We ordered some Chicken Tikka Masala, Aloo Gobi, Naan, and Papdums. All were delicious, and I especially enjoyed the chicken - lots of fresh ginger in there and honest-to-god identifiable chunks of vegetable, rather than the usual red purée. Generous portions, average pricing, food that is mercifully free of the translucent pools of ghee and other fats that are often found lurking in the bottom of Indian dishes, and fast delivery. Their menu now has a permanent place in our delivery options drawer.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Walked by Tony Roma's today --- sign on door reads "closed indefinitely". What gives??

Which one? Vancouver I'm assuming, but there's one in Coquitlam as well.

A.

Oops, yep, Vancouver...and also while in the neighborhood...the place next door (infinitydining) looks like it still needs quite a bit of work, yet website still says opening April 2006...?

Walked by Tony Roma's today --- sign on door reads "closed indefinitely". What gives??

....... Vancouver...and also while in the neighborhood...the place next door (infinitydining) looks like it still needs quite a bit of work, yet website still says opening April 2006...?

The Vancouver location has been eliminated from the Tony Roma's website, only Coquitlam remains out of the two Lower Mainland locations. I'm guessing that they probably were no longer profitable in that location, it certainly wasn't that convenient to access and all the new CFD's to the north probably get most of their intended type of business. As for the other place, a google search indicated they are looking for staff, not sure if the wages offered are very enticing. :blink:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Anyone know what’s happening with Chiyoda on Alberni?  Is the closing temporary or permanent?

I hope it is a temporary close, otherwise, my friends and I be utterly devestated. :sad:

I believe they had a visit from the Health Inspector that resulted in a lot of requirements. Vancouver Coastal Health

Interesting.

I have seen reports like this before and then they were removed, leaving only a "everything is nice" report in it's place. I find it kind of wishy washy of the Health Dept when they cull bad reports. You fucked up enough to get the bad one, you should have to live with it as a constant reminder of your evil ways.

I just checked in on the Health Board web site, it would appear that not only did this restaurant have their bad report removed, it would appear that they never have existed either

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Anyone know what’s happening with Chiyoda on Alberni?  Is the closing temporary or permanent?

I hope it is a temporary close, otherwise, my friends and I be utterly devestated. :sad:

I believe they had a visit from the Health Inspector that resulted in a lot of requirements. Vancouver Coastal Health

Interesting.

I have seen reports like this before and then they were removed, leaving only a "everything is nice" report in it's place. I find it kind of wishy washy of the Health Dept when they cull bad reports. You fucked up enough to get the bad one, you should have to live with it as a constant reminder of your evil ways.

I just checked in on the Health Board web site, it would appear that not only did this restaurant have their bad report removed, it would appear that they never have existed either

That is interesting. One can learn a lot around here.

Cheers,

Anne

With postings like this...

Time to find out how the wonderful world of meditation interacts with business. I am actually going to start building a restaurant tomorrow…think it’s time? We have only been leasing this restaurant space for one year now!

...one can only hope it's sometime during the Age of Aquarius.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Time to find out how the wonderful world of meditation interacts with business. I am actually going to start building a restaurant tomorrow…think it’s time? We have only been leasing this restaurant space for one year now!

One year in and they are starting to build the restaurant NOW? Wow, I wouldn't need meditation I would need therapy. When I opened up a bar business a few years back it killed me that we had to pay rent for the month we needed to renovate and transfer liquor liceneses etc. Maybe a trip to India may have helped me back then. I wish them all the best in their quest for Nirvana and the opening soon???? of their new venture.

I'm convinced the whole thing is an elaborate in-joke, a fake meta-blog satirizing the recent trend in "opening soon" blogs.

At least I hope it is. Because God help them.

Andrew,

I so agree! They started with just an idea of a diner, then they decided to redo the whole place, then they bought the entire building. Down the road I can see it all working and the area being much better for it. Hope they can keep up the finances and work through the kinks.

ONWARD Butirmoth!

Cassandra

Gastronomista

Ordinary Cafe on 4th is now closed.  The building is being torn down.  More condos?

it appears to turning into a Sushi restaurant.

The name is Sushi Hut, according to the signage. Very intriguing.

Wonder how the Ordinary got the boot.... I think it's a big no, no to boot someone for demo purposes and then not demolish the building. :blink:

Of course, I have no idea what really happened there, just going by what I read here. (note this is not an exact link as the site does not seem to be loading properly.)

Just scroll around till you find the most recent post about the Ordinary Cafe:

The Ordinary Cafe, sniff, is bowing out in style: with a wrecking ball. The last day is April 2nd, so make sure you get in your last goodbyes before the walls come tumbling down. ...

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3......

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

^ So sayeth The Ordinary. I'm going to miss it. There was talk of them doing a Phoenix act, but after a significant intermezzo. As for the link not loading properly, try hitting reload (it's a pesky ghost in the machine).

Meanwhile in Victoria, Earl's has apparently locked up the Elephant and Castle space at Government and View. Quite the solid location!

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine