• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

I'd noticed that a "Closed for Reovations -- Re-opening early March 2006" bulletin was placed on the doors of The Quay on Marinaside some time ago. Well, it's now mid-March and the renovations seemingly haven't started yet. An awkward room that became more bar than restaurant, it's seemingly not going anywhere fast. Anyone heard anything?

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Uncle Herbert's Fish and Chips in Ladner is no more. The owners have sold up and have, literally, "gone fishing".

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

Anyone know what’s happening with Chiyoda on Alberni?  Is the closing temporary or permanent?

I hope it is a temporary close, otherwise, my friends and I be utterly devestated. :sad:

I believe they had a visit from the Health Inspector that resulted in a lot of requirements. Vancouver Coastal Health

Interesting.

I have seen reports like this before and then they were removed, leaving only a "everything is nice" report in it's place. I find it kind of wishy washy of the Health Dept when they cull bad reports. You fucked up enough to get the bad one, you should have to live with it as a constant reminder of your evil ways.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

There is a new bakery and deli in New Westminster.

6th Ave. Bakery and Deli (creative name). They make their own bread and other baked desserts on site. They bring in a pretty good selection of Deli meats. They are just getting going so it looks a little sparse, but the quality is great and the prices aren't bad.

I can finally have a great deli sandwich only three blocks from my house!!!!

They are right across from Safeway and right beside a little vegetable stand. I sure hope they do well!!!

Uncle Herbert's Fish and Chips in Ladner is no more.  The owners have sold up and have, literally, "gone fishing".

Is this the building beside the Delta Museum with the Olde English Towne theme?

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

Joey Tomatoes will be opening a new location at 1424 West Broadway (between Granville and Hemlock). They do not have an exact date at this time but they anticipate opening in mid May.

Edited by D90 (log)

Uncle Herbert's Fish and Chips in Ladner is no more.  The owners have sold up and have, literally, "gone fishing".

Yes. So very sad. That was a standard stop for our family. Anyone know what happened? Did the family that owns it just retire, or were there other circumstances involved.

Very sad. I have brought my aunties from England there when they came out to visit. :sad:

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Yes. So very sad. That was a standard stop for our family. Anyone know what happened? Did the family that owns it just retire, or were there other circumstances involved.

The couple who owned it have retired. Here is a link to an article in the Delta Optimist.

http://www.delta-optimist.com/issues06/024.../024206co4.html

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

The Cheese Shoppe in Park Royal is winding down - big "closing down' signs on the windows. Done in by Whole Foods and perhaps an overly high end concept.

I liked their cheeses and would have liked to have gone more often - but uneven service and a sometimes snarky attittude did them in for me.

The Cheese Shoppe in Park Royal is winding down - big "closing down' signs on the windows.  Done in by Whole Foods and perhaps an overly high end concept.

I liked their cheeses and would have liked to have gone more often - but uneven service and a sometimes snarky attittude did them in for me.

So is it a given that Whole Foods did them in? I know it's a tempting hypothesis, but do you know this to be fact?

k

Edited by kurtisk (log)

In the next 24 hours or so, Sean Heather's opening soon blog will go "live" on Waiterblog. I took a tour of the construction site today with Sean and Scott. A long, 50 seater, and quite the departure from the Irish Heather! Design is modern. Brushed aluminum. Exposed concrete. Think cured meats, artisan cheeses, and plenty wines by the pour. Our own Mr. Bonner is currently fiddling with the list.

gallery_442111970b77a.jpg

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

In the next 24 hours or so, Sean Heather's opening soon blog will go "live" on Waiterblog. I took a tour of the construction site today with Sean and Scott. A long, 50 seater, and quite the departure from the Irish Heather! Design is modern. Brushed aluminum. Exposed concrete. Think cured meats, artisan cheeses, and plenty wines by the pour.

That man is a machine (Sean Heather) ....how does he do it? I think I need to increase my Guinness intake or something. I look forward to reading the blog.

I am looking forward as well to Un-wind opening up at the old Panama Jacks on Howe Street. I think that may be my late night watering hole after Rare closes for the night (or when Brian and I sneak out for a libation and some food).

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

In the next 24 hours or so, Sean Heather's opening soon blog will go "live" on Waiterblog. I took a tour of the construction site today with Sean and Scott. A long, 50 seater, and quite the departure from the Irish Heather! Design is modern. Brushed aluminum. Exposed concrete. Think cured meats, artisan cheeses, and plenty wines by the pour.

That man is a machine (Sean Heather) ....how does he do it? I think I need to increase my Guinness intake or something. I look forward to reading the blog.

I am looking forward as well to Un-wind opening up at the old Panama Jacks on Howe Street. I think that may be my late night watering hole after Rare closes for the night (or when Brian and I sneak out for a libation and some food).

Called it: I am the president of the Sean Heather fan club!

I cannot wait to see the blog.

...more importantly I cannot wait to eat the cured meats, cheeses and drink the wines!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Vera's  Burger Shack Fraser Heights, will be opening on monday March 13th, with liquor licensing following shortly thereafter.

Great to see you Guys at the show today - Good luck with the new store - congratulations

Good to see you too, i'll look forward to your announcement soon.

Congrats Marcus I hear you are opening a second branch of fish cafe in kits, when will you be open

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Is Soupspoons on 4th across from Capers under?

Looked to be closed today when I cruised by but as it was raining there was no stopping to investigate.

The space has been up for offers for a while now.

I believe that is wehre the new fish cafe is going to be located

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

The Cheese Shoppe in Park Royal is winding down - big "closing down' signs on the windows.  Done in by Whole Foods and perhaps an overly high end concept...

So is it a given that Whole Foods did them in? I know it's a tempting hypothesis, but do you know this to be fact?

k

One of the co-owners told me that they had opened before Whole Foods and had definitely noticed a drop in business once WH started business.

At the same time - I felt like there were other issues involved (inconsistent service for me as noted before was the killer). So though WH may not have been the only reason for them closing shop - it certainly must be high up on the list. There are only 45,000 or so residents in W.Van - which may not be enough people to support two full spectrum cheese shops.

I don't get what happened to Soupspoons- it was a good product, good concept. Did they expand too quickly? I used to take my kid to the one on Broadway and Heather. He loved the lemongrass chicken soup.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Although I am sad to see Uncle Herbert's go (their clam chowder was to die for), I am very excited to hear through the rumour mill that Ladner is getting a Mexican restaurant. It is supposedly from the same people who owned Carlos and Bud's under the Granville Street Bridge. Can anyone verify this?

Something new in Ladner - yay! I am getting tired of the pub food there.