• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

The End Of An Era-First Ave Bread Garden Gone Forever

Thank you, Jesus. God, what a dump. During my innocent teen years (in the 80s), whenever I went out on a date I couldn't wait to end, when he would say, 'Geez, I don't want this night to ever end,' I'd cross my fingers and hope he wouldn't continue with, 'We could always go to the Bread Garden?' So many wasted hours... Now those hapless boys will have to take their bored dates home, poor things.

Lease signs in the window of Cotton Club.

Also, Big Al banner gone from that catering place on second; anyone know if he is still there?

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

A sign was finally put up today on the front doors of H Mart on the corner of Robson and Seymour. 

Grand opening on March 6 11am!

Visited the H Mart today on its grand openning. Very impressed with the large array of fish and seafood (fresh, frozen, living, salted, dried and canned) available. Tubs of hot bean paste are displayed in their own section. Bought some cooked, pressed pig's ear ( which are simply labelled as "Boiled Pork") to try. They are more thickly-sliced than the ones served in chinese restaurants, with slices of raw garlic and hot peppers on the side, and a container of orange sauce with teeney tiny shrimps in it. I've never had pig's ear served that way before. Interesting, to say the least. :laugh: Great addition to the neighbourhood.

Vera's  Burger Shack Fraser Heights, will be opening on monday March 13th, with liquor licensing following shortly thereafter.

You have an address Gerald? Congrats on the addition to the empire!

A.

Vera's  Burger Shack Fraser Heights, will be opening on monday March 13th, with liquor licensing following shortly thereafter.

A.

Would be very interested in address for new location for Vera's plus phone number. Will definitely go and also pass on the info to my daughter who will definitely give it a try with her husband...they are always on the make for a new hamburger that is great. They pass that way on the way to Aldergrove on the way home from work so I can see that might be a regular pit stop.

samasutra

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

Great to see you Guys at the show today - Good luck with the new store - congratulations

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

A.

Fraser Heights, 160th and 108th ave (the new south surrey, only its north of hwy1, go figure)

15989 108th ave

604-582-8372(vera)

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Great to see you Guys at the show today - Good luck with the new store - congratulations

Good to see you too, i'll look forward to your announcement soon.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Anyone heard the rumour that Jak's Bistro on Abbott Street in Gastown that has been closed for sometime now is going to be converted into a wine bar?

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

David Bains column in the Vancouver Sun last week confirmed rumours that a sports bar is to be opened in the old Quay space.  The owner of the Quay and the new bar owns Bodogs - an online gambling site.  The new bar will be called Bodogs as well.  Apparently he makes a ton with the site and just wanted the restaurant so he had somewhere to hang out.  Nice.

Wonder if he is single!

Here's the scoop on him: Banned city promoter makes Forbes list (Vancouver Sun)

Cheers,

Anne

Two things not if my favor:

"The magazine says that Ayre likes to be seen with attractive women and is driven around San Jose in a black Hummer by a chauffeur..."

I might not be his type.

I don't like those cars. I'm not typing the word because it would led to confusion. If you know what I mean.

Gastronomista

I heard that the owners of Sash (formerly Bukowski's) on Commercial are desperate to sell. I wonder what's going to happen there. It is a stellar location... I heard a rumor that Incindio is interested.

The belly rules the mind.

I heard that the owners of Sash (formerly Bukowski's) on Commercial are desperate to sell. I wonder what's going to happen there. It is a stellar location... I heard a rumor that Incindio is interested.

Is that not the Incendio guys who own Stellas ?

A little too close to their other location ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Is that not the Incendio guys who own Stellas ?

A little too close to their other location ?

I've heard similar rumours that it is up for sale but no potential buyer's names are circulating.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Two things not if my favor:

"The magazine says that Ayre likes to be seen with attractive women and is driven around San Jose in a black Hummer by a chauffeur..."

I might not be his type.

I don't like those cars.  I'm not typing the word because it would led to confusion.  If you know what I mean.

I don't like them either, but it *is* a lot more understandable to be driving around Costa Rica in one than N America, lol.

Me N Eds on Lonsdale in North Vancouver! My wife and I are in mourning...services to be held this afternoon :sad:

We have been ordering from here twice a month for 4 years. By far and away our favourite take out pizza. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the last 4 times (I kid you not) they reversed the sizes of our orders..my wife orders a small with.....and I order a different medium. For some reason I get the small and my wife the medium. Not a big deal to me as they have to send me another small but how many people do they do that for before they're out of business. Obviously they passed that number :laugh: .

Derek

Michele Cake Shop is opening a Richmond branch on Buswell between Saba Road and Westminster Highway, across from the Richmond Public Market. Presumably a branch of the operation located at 6033 West Blvd in Vancouver. Looks like it should be operational in a day or so. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon