• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

Not really an openning or closing but I went to The Kedah House on Fraser and 41st for the first time. Three of us shared the beef rendang, roti canai, mee goreng and string beans with sambal. The food was quite good and the beef rendang was probably the best I've had in Vancouver. Anyways, they are closing the current location on April 1 and re-opening at the new location on SE Marine Drive near Argyle on April 15.

Apparently, there is a new chocolate/pastry shop opening in Yaletown right by Bistro Sakana, across from Circolo. They are selling molded chocolates and truffles, and also whole bars/fevres.

They're not open yet...but when they do, imma pounce.  :raz:

Chocoatl, House of Chocolate. 1127 Mainland. Opening real soon. Serving a very creative menu of hot chocolate

They're open now. Just popped in to pick up a few chocolates. Will be back next week to sample the hot chocolate!

Met the staff ... all very friendly.

The Sapphire Fusion Restaurant on Abbott Street will be closing at month end. The landlord has sold the building. Worth checking out before they close. See my thread on Sri Lankan hoppers.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Two questions:

Anyone heard anything about The Quay on Marinaside? Sign on the door still says "remodeling" and reopening in March. But I haven't really seen any activity in there since it looked like they were moving all the liquor, glasses, plates, etc. out. More curiousity than anything -- didn't really go there much, but live on the same block.

Also, any word on the opening of the new Korean supermarket on Robson and Seymour? It's looked nearly ready for a while... Can't remember the name (which I believe is a letter or two).

Thanks,

Katherine

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

David Bains column in the Vancouver Sun last week confirmed rumours that a sports bar is to be opened in the old Quay space. The owner of the Quay and the new bar owns Bodogs - an online gambling site. The new bar will be called Bodogs as well. Apparently he makes a ton with the site and just wanted the restaurant so he had somewhere to hang out. Nice.

Wonder if he is single!

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

David Bains column in the Vancouver Sun last week confirmed rumours that a sports bar is to be opened in the old Quay space.  The owner of the Quay and the new bar owns Bodogs - an online gambling site.  The new bar will be called Bodogs as well.  Apparently he makes a ton with the site and just wanted the restaurant so he had somewhere to hang out.  Nice.

Wonder if he is single!

Oh I'd missed that. thanks Vancitygirl!

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Two questions:

Also, any word on the opening of the new Korean supermarket on Robson and Seymour?  It's looked nearly ready for a while... Can't remember the name (which I believe is a letter or two).

Thanks,

Katherine

H Mart is the name of the store. Apparently, there is also going to be an Asian food court in it as well...Chinese, Japanese and Korean food. Good news for us that work in the block! It is looking close to being done but I'm not sure when the actual date is. I will report back as soon as they solidify it!

Also, in the previous Kiwi Pie Co. location on Robson, there is a ton of reno action going on. There is a sushi place going in there.

Edited to add: there is also a taphouse and beer and wine store going into where Voda used to be (in the Westin Grand). Can't recall the exact name though, but they seem to be working hard on the renos.

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

Edited to add:  there is also a taphouse and beer and wine store going into where Voda used to be (in the Westin Grand).  Can't recall the exact name though, but they seem to be working hard on the renos.

It's Jimmy's Tap House, slated to open in early March. Read more about it in the February 10 edition of The Daily CityFood.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Edited to add:  there is also a taphouse and beer and wine store going into where Voda used to be (in the Westin Grand).  Can't recall the exact name though, but they seem to be working hard on the renos.

It's Jimmy's Tap House, slated to open in early March. Read more about it in the February 10 edition of The Daily CityFood.

Thanks, Joie! I'm most excited about the prospects of being able to buy a bottle of decent wine to sip on during those late evenings at work! :biggrin:

Quentina

Those of you following Butirmoth's progress will be saddend to learn that an injury for Jason has necessitated the search for a new chef- Jason, it seems, is unable to work right now. Hope they can keep up the strength to keep going. I really admire what Terri and Jason are trying to do.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

The blog:

http://www.butirmoth.com/blog/

This is a quote from the Butirmoth site:

"Excellent food…Fine wine…

Local and Organic food.

Great design…Environmentally conscious design…beautiful, yet comfortable.

Having an impact on the Downtown Eastside that encourages community development.

If you are reading this and are also passionate about all of the above…I would be so happy if you would contact me.

I would like some input, affirmation or assistance.

Terri"

Terri and all involved have taken on a huge project which will really benefit the area and bring something very special to Vancouver. Please show her some support in these difficult times by emailing her at:

info@butirmoth.com

I've only met her once, but she left a big impact and I think if we can somehow offer words of support and encouragement it will help the project move forward!

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

limerick junction is open , but don't think they've actually done official opening night yet

Mr. Heather and co. took care of the "official" opening last night. J & I popped down for a couple pints.

I wish I could comment on how much the room has changed, but from the stories I heard about the Brick Yard, I wasn't likely to have darkened their door before Sean got hold of it.

I won't lie ... this is NOT my favorite part of town after dark. Yeah yeah ... big chicken. But when the pan handler is warning me I'm about to head into "druggy-ville" I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy about the cobblestones. Having said that, it's business-folk like Sean Heather who make this part of town work, and will get me to visit late on a Monday night.

Once inside Limerick Junction (very friendly doorman btw) I felt very much at home. The bar alone is worth the visit ... a big circular white oak bar with Carrera marble tops, aged like a favorite barstool. The rest of the room is rough & tumble version of the Irish Heather, only bigger. Like the Irish Heather, Limerick Junction takes the walls it was given, and molds them into a familiar rec-room quality, but with less refinement than it's sibbling down the street. It's a much more open room than the Heather, but that makes it more suitable for watching rugby or soccer ... and getting a little rowdy.

Thanks to Sean & John for the invite!

A.

The End Of An Era-First Ave Bread Garden Gone Forever

Well that it's a tiny piece of city history has bit the dust the First Ave Bread Garden is gone.

Whether done in by changing tastes or (IMO) gross mismanagement the 'hood will never be the same.

I could see it coming when the unspeakably dumb dorks in charge 'renovated' 2 years ago-totally idiocy in design.Someone somewhere just didn't understand that when an operation treats it's customers like sh*t on a shoe bad things happen.

Just to add insult to injury the avaricious clods who ran the place jacked the price on my favourite Banana Chocolate Muffins a month before closing-is that callous or what?

Sigh..... :sad:

Of course 'it's an ill wind.....' the nearby well regarded Eco Il Pane is jammed as always good on them they are a decent operation who treat their customers well excellent products for fair prices-may they prosper mightily.

Well that it's a tiny piece of city history has bit the dust the First Ave Bread Garden is gone.

<SNIP>

Just to add insult to injury the avaricious clods who ran the place jacked the price on my favourite Banana Chocolate Muffins a month before closing-is that callous or what?

Sigh..... :sad:

That was my source for Cinnamon Knots before work when I first lived on my own ... sad indeed.

A.

Whether done in by changing tastes or (IMO) gross mismanagement the 'hood will never be the same.

I could see it coming when the unspeakably dumb dorks in charge 'renovated' 2 years ago-totally idiocy in design.

Weird huh? Seems the same thing happened in Richmond, close to Kwantlen College. They were always packed, open late, that original decor but it worked. They closed down foooooorever to reno, finally opened in that horrid cold new style, now they are no more. Presumably the same will happen to the one in South Surrey/White Rock, if it hasn't happened yet (closing), the decor is gawd awful. :blink:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

[Of course 'it's an ill wind.....' the nearby well regarded Eco Il Pane is jammed as always good on them they are a decent operation who treat their customers well excellent products for fair prices-may they prosper mightily.

Umm....

Where exactly is Ecco Il Pane in relation to where the Bread Garden (on West 1st) used to be? I thought that it was over on West 5th Avenue, between Alberta and Columbia.

Has it moved closer to Burrard and 1st?

Or, perchance, do you mean "Pane from Heaven" on Cypress between 1st and York?

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Pane from Heaven closed? Oh no, say it ain't so. :shock: I regularly would buy chocolate ganache cake there, which was out of this world ... rich and not too sweet. Where shall I go now?

Pane from Heaven closed? Oh no, say it ain't so.  :shock: I regularly would buy chocolate ganache cake there, which was out of this world ... rich and not too sweet. Where shall I go now?

<Snip>

(Sam Salmon @ Mar 1 2006, 08:29 AM)

You should be okay. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

The shortly lived vietnamese restaurant (the name escapes me - BC restaurant?) which took over The Green Olive Café which took over a Portuguese restarant (Caravella?) is now taken over by the The Monkey Restaurant and Lounge. Could it be the reincarnation of the Brass Monkey that was taken over by Central on Denman?

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I obviously didn't search this forum hard enough but when did Maverick's on false creek close and become a new restaurant? I just ran past it yesterday. This also points ot the fact that I'm not running often enough.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

from the Department of Florid Press Releases

Press Release

March 1, 2006

Bienvenue! West Vancouver's Bistro 1734 is Now Open

Picture a room filled with soft lighting, cozy tables made intimate under the gentle glow of candlelight, and a room surrounded by light and airy walls adorned with the art of framed Rothschild wine labels. The soothing strains of jazz underlie the hum of conversation, and warm, mouth-watering aromas drift from each plate as it is carried past by a member of the friendly and accommodating staff. Imagine the relaxing atmosphere that greets you as you embark upon what will surely become a memorable dining experience, and you just might begin to understand what awaits you at Bistro 1734. What remains is the pièce de résistance, of course: indulging the palate with rich, vibrant flavours. Owners Daniel Thomas and Bill Mari invite diners to discover what Chef Patrick Lynch provides in spades - amazing classic French cuisine with a modern twist - accompanied by some of the finest wines from both the old world and the new.

The aim of Bistro 1734 is not to simply become another destination for French fine dining among the plethora of choice establishments that Vancouver already boasts. Rather, their vision is "apples and oranges compared to the classic French restaurant," according to the Cordon-Bleu-trained Chef Lynch. The difference is evidenced in hors d'oeuvres and dinner selections alike. For example, Lynch takes a modern approach to the traditional Escargot starter by serving it in puff pastry with an Indian curry sauce. Another traditional favourite, Duck Confit, is served in a chive crepe glazed with ginger, blood orange and Chinese black vinegar - a condiment Lynch believes is "underutilized by Vancouver Chefs". Likewise, the Poitrine de Porc entrée is served with sweet and sour cabbage that awakens the taste buds with a burst of flavour derived from apple cider jus. And no dining experience is complete without dessert, of course. Enter pastry chef Maria Laurecellia - formerly of Cin Cin - and her amazing selection of divine cakes, tartes and brulées. A particular favorite of returning diners is the decadent Fondant au Chocolat, a warm, rich chocolate cake with chestnut coffee cream.

A new approach to classic French cuisine can only be accomplished successfully by seasoned restaurant operators, and that is just the experience Daniel Thomas - formerly of Vancouver's Café de Paris and Le Railcar - and Bill Mari, from Taylor's Crossing, provide. Creativity and vision meet tradition at Bistro 1734, and when they are combined with the welcoming atmosphere this little bistro in West Vancouver has to offer, diners are assured to experience the very best in good food, fine wine, and relaxation.

-30-

For more information contact:

Daniel Thomas

Bistro 1734

1734 Marine Drive, West Vancouver, BC V7V 1J3

bistro1734@telus.net

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC