• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

I heard that Sushikan is now closed, and the chefs are back in Japan. I thought there was a downtown location opening? Apparently the owners think that Richmond might not be ready for such a high-end Japanese restaurant?

Damn...there goes my hirame engawa.  :sad:

How about just taking a walk to Hastings Racecourse? :raz:

hirame engawa = flounder fin, not horse :wink:

Dammit, I gotta brush up on my Japanese. Apparently toro is not what Japanese chefs yell while holding a red bed sheet, trying to incite an angry bull. Who knew eh? :raz:

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

Has anybody heard anything about De Lounge in Richmond? I think it's fairly recent, and they had a few small ads in the Straight.

It is fairly new. It's the old Monkey's...remember that? Apparently De Lounge looks quite nice inside (and is a far cry from the old Monkey's...) but I haven't been in yet.

ETA: menu looks pretty predictable though...

Edited by Ling (log)

just curious is kaplan's on alberni closed? was by there at not even 4:30 yesterday aft and they were closed , maybe they close early everyday or are closed on mondays?

I'm pretty sure they are a weekedays/lunchtime only kind of place (that location only). Sorta lame for those of us who live downtown. I just got a full smoked-meat brisket flown in from schwartz' in Montreal, just so I wouldn't have to leave the downtown core when those eves/weekends deli fixes hit.

:wub:

Bistro 1734 in West Vancouver, mentioned above, opened this week. I've got reservations for Valentine's day and will report. I gotta say, my hopes are running high because they have cassoulet on the menu. If it's good, I'll never have to leave the North Shore again. :raz:

Paul B

I heard that Sushikan is now closed, and the chefs are back in Japan. I thought there was a downtown location opening? Apparently the owners think that Richmond might not be ready for such a high-end Japanese restaurant?

Whaaaa?

I just had lunch there with the marketing guy on the 23rd. Are you serious?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Waiterblog has the menus for Century and they look sweet. The room appears very close to being done. It's warm, soaring, ancient. modern and cool. I'm already looking at the wild boar consomme with jalapeno and apple gelee. Mmm...wild boar.

Just checked out the menu. A couple of items really caught my attention:

- Plantain Fritters & Pork Bellies

- Rustic braise of rabbit, kurabuto bacon, salchichon and oxtail

- Braised Shortribs and Beef Cheek Adobo

- Masa cakes and honey butter

So what's the word on the opening? The article said it would probably be open by Valentine's Day.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

So what's the word on the opening?  The article said it would probably be open by Valentine's Day.

I snuck into Century today, incognito-style. The cool kids inside were putting the final touches on the room, and it looks amazing. They told me that the public opening is scheduled for next Friday...

I just called and checked and they seem to still be open. Where did you hear that?

Cheers!

I snuck into Century last night at the tail end of their first dry run with friends and family. It's got to be the coolest room I've seen in a while. Drop dead gorgeous. They're doing further dry runs over the next week (I'm going again on Thursday) culminating with the "opening soon" wrap/bash on Friday, Februrary 17th. Presumably it'll be open to the public on the 18th.

Get ready.... :wink:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Apparently, there is a new chocolate/pastry shop opening in Yaletown right by Bistro Sakana, across from Circolo. They are selling molded chocolates and truffles, and also whole bars/fevres.

They're not open yet...but when they do, imma pounce.  :raz:

Chocoatl, House of Chocolate. 1127 Mainland. Opening real soon. Serving a very creative menu of hot chocolate

I just called and checked and they seem to still be open. Where did you hear that?

Cheers!

I just called their marketing guy and Sushikan is still live. But there was a stabbing in Aberdeen Centre this week . . . maybe a sushi knife gone bad? :raz:

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Cheers!

I just called their marketing guy and Sushikan is still live. But there was a stabbing in Aberdeen Centre this week . . . maybe a sushi knife gone bad? :raz:

Thanks for that! I heard the rumour from a sushi chef in Vancouver, who heard it from his "reliable source".

Apparently, there is a new chocolate/pastry shop opening in Yaletown right by Bistro Sakana, across from Circolo. They are selling molded chocolates and truffles, and also whole bars/fevres.

They're not open yet...but when they do, imma pounce.  :raz:

Chocoatl, House of Chocolate. 1127 Mainland. Opening real soon. Serving a very creative menu of hot chocolate

thank-you! :smile:

Does anyone know when Dan on West Broadway is going to re-open? I heard that they closed after a fire and were going to re-open, but that was months ago.

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

Hey all,

First post and Greetings! I had hoped to better introduce myself elsewhere (and I will later) but good news can't wait.

Sean Heather's latest project is open for business and is receiving well wishers...the Limerick Junction is located at the site of the old Brickyard at 315 Carrall St.

Stop by for a pint, I'm going tonight and will dutifully report back!

All for now,

Aaron

Serial enjoyer of good friends, wine and food.

I drove by Tamarind on West Broadway (across from Bogarts) today and it's "boarded-up" closed.  I mean, with real boards.  Was there a fire or something?  I was speeding in traffic and didn't notice the details.

Hopefully this wasn't covered upthread two months ago.

As I recall someone drove a car through their window. It is boarded up, but they are still open.

Cheers,

Anne

I drove by Tamarind on West Broadway (across from Bogarts) today and it's "boarded-up" closed.  I mean, with real boards.  Was there a fire or something?  I was speeding in traffic and didn't notice the details.

Hopefully this wasn't covered upthread two months ago.

As I recall someone drove a car through their window. It is boarded up, but they are still open.

Yup, a drunk driver smashed through their window. They are still open.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Looks like El Patio at 225 Smith Street is no longer. They shut it down for a few weeks to "renovate" then opened for a few days (during Super Bowl) and shut again. Asking around, it would seem that they have shut their doors forever. It was bought by a new owner about a year and a half ago...

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

wondering if wingnuts on main is still going, wanted to go for deep fried mars bar and the last 2 days didn't see it , so not sure if i was mistakin as to the location or if  it is indeed gone, any info please

Drove by just last week. It's still open. If you're up to it, try the deep-fried assortment: Snickers, Smore, and Mars Bars. I'm partial to the Snickers.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com