• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

I think that RAV station is going at the parking lot 1 block south of Broadway, behind Cityhall.

There is a Whole Foods slated to go at the Crossroads space.

I heard about Whole Foods or some kind of market going in somewhere around the fairview slopes but I didn't realize they were going to drop it in that spot. Wow. A Whole Foods at that location would be so wonderful for my taste buds yet so evil for my wallet :raz:

Did anyone catch the name of the place that is replacing Fog 'n Suds along lougheed highway? I rode past it but didn't quite remember the name. Some kinda grill.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I think that RAV station is going at the parking lot 1 block south of Broadway, behind Cityhall.

There is a Whole Foods slated to go at the Crossroads space.

I heard about Whole Foods or some kind of market going in somewhere around the fairview slopes but I didn't realize they were going to drop it in that spot. Wow. A Whole Foods at that location would be so wonderful for my taste buds yet so evil for my wallet :raz:

Did anyone catch the name of the place that is replacing Fog 'n Suds along lougheed highway? I rode past it but didn't quite remember the name. Some kinda grill.

North Shore residents call it "Whole Paycheck" for a reason!

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

Funny, we called it that in Toronto, there was one right next to my place of employment. :blink:

The new one will be a rather frightening 6 blocks from my place of residence. :rolleyes:

Found out the place that is replacing the Fogg 'n Suds on Lougheed highway is called

Soho Bar and Grill they even have a site:

[LINK]

Amazing it is actually the second restaurant linking burnaby with the one downtown.

Here's the blurb:

THE SOHO BAR AND GRILL, A TRULY UNIQUE ESTABLISHMENT LOCATED NEAR ENGLISH BAY . A COMFORTABLE PLACE WITH AN ENGLISH/IRISH ATMOSPHERE. CHEAP EATS AND WITH ALL PINTS AT $3.75 (INCLUDING GUINNESS) YOU CAN’T GO WRONG. THERE ARE 18 DIFFERENT DRAFTS AVAILABLE ON TAP ALONG WITH $3.75 HI BALLS. IT’S A HOMEY BAR THAT CATERS TO A CASUAL CROWD, BUT DON’T BE SURPRISED IF YOU RUB SHOULDERS WITH MEMBERS OF THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS OR FAMOUS CELEBS. THE PLACE ISN’T THAT DIFFICULT TO FIND, JUST LOOK FOR THE DIFFERENT FLAGS ON TOP, OR THE BRIGHT TIKI TORCHES ON THE PATIO.

IF YOU ARE INTO SPORTS THEN THIS IS YOUR HOME, FROM HOCKEY, SOCCER, RUGBY (ENGLISH AND AUSTRALIAN), AND ALL YOUR OTHER PAY- PER VIEW EVENTS.

ALSO AVAILABLE IS OUR VERY PRIVATE VIP ROOM WITH SEATING FOR 24, WITH FIREPLACE, 4 TV’S AND A BEAUTIFUL VIEW OF ENGLISH BAY .

THE SOHO BAR AND GRILL AT THE TAIL END OF DAVIE ST, AND ONLY STEPS AWAY FROM ENGLISH BAY.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Reminder that this is the Kiwi Pie Co's last day - only the Robson location open.  I have been stealthily stocking up - not sure what they have left in there inventory though.  But I've got enough frozen pies till the rapture.

yes, we stocked up too, yesterday.

RIP kiwi pie co. thanks for the good eats, good times and the copious amounts of champagne and sausage rolls yesterday! :cool:

by the way, there's talk of them resurfacing at a later date. the owner is talking about pairing up with a caterer friend of his and opening a deli, maybe in the dunbar area. and the pies will make an appearance there!

Quentina

Funny, we called it that in Toronto, there was one right next to my place of employment. :blink:

The new one will be a rather frightening 6 blocks from my place of residence. :rolleyes:

Jasmine, I too live in Fairview, where is the new Whole Foods going? Cate

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Just walked by "One" Restaurant in Gastown and it looks like it has been seized for taxes!!! So if you have a Dine Out reso it is not looking good.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Jang Mo Jib is opening up in the food court at Aberdeen Centre in Richmond. Guess with their semi-recent expansion into the free standing place in Richmond they are expanding some more!

Cheers!

Following Quince, another ready-to-prepare food store is opening up next month in the neighbourhood (#102 - 1669 West 3rd Ave, Vancouver).

Mid-February, from what I've heard.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Jang Mo Jib is opening up in the food court at Aberdeen Centre in Richmond.

Good news! I've been generally disappointed with the offerings at Aberdeen, with the exception of the soft green tea ice cream place.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

There's a "Pie by Night" opening/opened? on Granville a couple doors down from Sip.

There's also jimmy's (hope i got the name right) opening next to the Voda nightclub underneath Aria part of the Westin Grand. Wine bar attached, casual fare.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Jasmine, I too live in Fairview, where is the new Whole Foods going? Cate

It's going at cambie and broadway where the "Crossroads" complex currently sits.

Moderne Burger is finally re-opened and YUMMY as always (also packed as always). Every restaurateur (well, a lot anyway) should take lessons in customer service from these gracious hosts. I’m going next Sunday for LAMB burger *mouth watering* no wait, a DOUBLE lamb burger!! MMMMMMMMMMMM

Who’s coming with me to storm the palace!!! :cool:

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

Big Al's (formerly and 1st and Renfrew/Rupert?) has opened in the 300 Block of West 2nd.

More news to follow.

Glad to hear that. I went by there last summer and there was no indication it was "moving". In fact there was no explicit notice that it was closed either. I was kind of wondering what happened.

Here is the update on "Big Al's".

It is called Cameo and is on 295 West 2nd. They are officially open on this weekend. It is owned by Dina Livranento, a graduate from VCC who is part Portuguese and part African and Ken Burks, hailing from the Bahamas and owner of the Lions Den on Fraser and 15th.

Big Al is leaving Rossinis in Gastown (where he has been hiding) to cook on the weekends.

I stopped in for a quick bite today during the soft opening period. I was the second diner in on their very first day.

The colours are bright - the room resembles a funky cafeteria.

Menus are not printed, but the server rambled off gumbo, catfish, salmon and chicken cooked with a southern cajun influence, and Al's signature dishes such as smothered red cabbage and red beans.

I went for the jumbo and it was filled with tender shrimp, chunks of sausage, red pepper, clery and tomato. Perfectly spicy in a rich tomato sauce.

Dina brought me some fresh banana muffins and I had to pack them to go, as the gumbo did me in.

Look forward to some great International Flavour with tunes and personalities to match.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

A Burrito Brothers, if I recall the name correctly, is opening on Commercial Drive, at the corner of 1st Avenue, where the Java place (coffee shop) used to be.

:smile:

you beat me to it! :raz: we just drove by. i think it's called the red burrito, and the side note said something about your neighborhood burrito and taco joint.

After driving by on many a late night and seeing people inside working like fiends, I noticed that The Red Burrito finally opened its doors for business on Friday (southeast corner of Commercial and 1st). If you're thinking of heading over to The Drive to check it out, bear in mind that traffic is a bit of a clusterf*%k on Commercial south of East 2nd due to major roadwork.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg