• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

was down in gastown today and a new place to be called moonshine opened last night in the space formerly occupied by bavaria on carrall @ water, will be small plates(asian, mexican etc..) and lots of different beers ,only bottles for now, not open for lunch as of yet

Sad to say but the corner of Balaclava and Broadway will be home to a Tim Hortons in the next while.

It's funny with the economy being in such an upswing that this part of the Broadway corridor has so many empty spaces that could be put to so much better use!

The Hola Churros space next to Parthenon is still working away at getting open. It's a big space and I'm curious to see what else they plan to offer besides fried dough.

The WE photographer snapped a great shot of Sean at Century for a recent story of mine. When it went to print, the photo was unfortunately cropped. One of our more esteemed members recently pointed out to me that myTelus.com bought the story from the Black Press, and it was online. Gladly, they didn't crop the photo.

What do think of the mural?

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

It's funny with the economy being in such an upswing that this part of the Broadway corridor has so many empty spaces that could be put to so much better use!

One of my old buddies was a principal in a restaurant/bar on that corridor-taxes eventually drove their profit margins down to where it wasn't worth it anymore.
The Hola Churros space next to Parthenon is still working away at getting open. It's a big space and I'm curious to see what else they plan to offer besides fried dough.

Doesn't matter what they do they'll never make it.

the mural looks pretty cool. from what i can see, sort of an early century cowboy theme. i like it!

the light fixture looks familiar. i'm guessing it's by propellor, who also did the light fixture in my salon. ours also has the rectangle acrylic panels.

looking forward to the finished product. any guesses on opening day?

Quentina

Never very busy there though. Think the only remaining Fogg 'n Sudds is probably the one over at Cambie and Broadway iirc.

Not even that one either. It's now Original Joe's... has been for some time now.

Rumour has it that across the street from Original Joe's a new development is taking place with commercial and residential units, the site of the Royal Bank. Two spots are being designed for restaurant occupancy one on the Broadway side and one on the back of it with Views of False Creek, the downtown area and mountains. I heard it is 2 years away.

Walking around the new hood (and peeking at Rare!), I wandered past the erstwhile Da Tandoor, which has a few signs in the window saying "Coming Soon - Infinity". The website has a fair amount of menu (including directions for parking, which strikes me as rather amibitious, given they don't really exist yet) but I have no idea what the vintage of this concept is. The website says something about 2005 and the site looks pretty dark. Mysterious.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Walked by a new food store opening up @ the SE corner of Robson & Seymour.

Name of HMarket if I read the sign correctly-something to do with Asian Food whatever that is. :unsure:

we were told that it was going to be a korean food mart. they have the whole second floor, i think. i'm thinking it's going to be a korean version of t&t.

there's also a rumour that there's also going to be a noodle house on the same block. a very welcome change to the lunch repetoire in the hood. :cool:

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

Walking around the new hood (and peeking at Rare!), I wandered past the erstwhile Da Tandoor, which has a few signs in the window saying "Coming Soon - Infinity". The website has a fair amount of menu (including directions for parking, which strikes me as rather amibitious, given they don't really exist yet) but I have no idea what the vintage of this concept is. The website says something about 2005 and the site looks pretty dark. Mysterious.

I met Alex the owner/chef when I was walking by and he mentioned that they were looking at a March opening.

On another note, the Quay on Marinaside in Yaletown closed and was supposed to re-open as a lounge/gastropub but I was informed that it is now for sale...beautiful room wonder who will be taking over.

as for it being closed the other day, annanstee, i know that they aren't open every day due to slow sales, so maybe that was the case??

Hmmm- Something gave me the impression of a permanent closure... Did I see a for lease sign in the window? :huh: Perhaps I just leapt to conclusions.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

BTW, the blog for Rare One is now available through waiterblog.

I'm sure some of you are wondering who of our number had the balls to go into the Bis Moreno space. I'm happy to report it's our very own Brian Fowke (and his business partner Tim Keller - a lurker of note). I think it represents a great opportunity for the public to see the process and take part in it. I hope you guys will check it out and use the comment threads to start a dialogue with them. If you ask, I'm sure they will answer.

Good luck, fellas.  :smile:

I am no longer a lurker...I have made the plunge.

Anyone know what is going on at the Quay in Yaletown.....closed before Christmas, no one is working on it. I have heard that it was going to re-open as a lounge and I have heard that it is up for sale????

I am glad to leave the ranks of lurkers and be able to post now. I think the dry cleaning comment helped make the decision....so thank you trans fatty.....if any of you are walking by 1355 Hornby please stop in and say hi if you see us in there. I would love to put faces to the names I see here. Might as well plug our blog on www.waiterblog.com while i am at it. The journey begins.

Edited by TimK (log)

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

Nice to see you posting, Tim!

Elsewhere...

Sean Heather is reaching into his bag of tricks again with Limerick Junction.

He also may have a Gastown winebar in the works called Alley 44.

Review of Curious coming out on Thursday in the WE.

Gastown. Gastown. Gastown. :wub: Is there any other neighbourhood in this town that looks half as awesome when it's been cleaned by three weeks of rain?

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Nice to see you posting, Tim!

Elsewhere...

Sean Heather is reaching into his bag of tricks again with Limerick Junction.

He also may have a Gastown winebar in the works called Alley 44.

Gastown. Gastown. Gastown.  :wub: Is there any other neighbourhood in this town that looks half as awesome when it's been cleaned by three weeks of rain?

I hear that. I was in Gastown last night driving through. It is a great part of the city. I also love Main and Kingsway area and the bit north of it....I had not been through that area for awhile and was impressed, some great looking spots. I guess it pays to leave Yaletown once in awhile.

Looking forward to Sean's new venture. I have to say I only recently discovered the back whisky room at the Heather....what a great place for a pint or a Bushmills. Made me feel like I was travelling through Ireland again, from decor to the clientelle who are approachable and just happy to be sipping their favourite libations.

Edited by TimK (log)

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

Name of HMarket if I read the sign correctly-something to do with Asian Food whatever that is. :unsure:

we were told that it was going to be a korean food mart. they have the whole second floor, i think. i'm thinking it's going to be a korean version of t&t.

I wonder if it is the same chain of Korean groceries that is popular in the Eastern United States? Hmart homepage? Those are some wonderful stores!

Or do you think they are just ripping off the name similarity? In either case it will be a welcome addition! When is it slated for opening?

Cheers!

I wonder if it is the same chain of Korean groceries that is popular in the Eastern United States? Hmart homepage? Those are some wonderful stores!

Or do you think they are just ripping off the name similarity? In either case it will be a welcome addition! When is it slated for opening?

Cheers!

i think that it is the same chain. i'd never heard of them before this, but people who have are very excited about it.

if i remember correctly, i think that it is mid or end of feb for opening. i'll try to find out and will update!

Quentina

Good news for northerners! I was talking to my mom in Prince George this evening and she mentioned that Moreno Miotto (formerly of Bis Moreneo in Vancouver, and even more formerly of Da Moreno in PG) has returned to PG and is opening a new restaurant. She had read an article about it in the local news paper. If my recolection is correct it is called White Goose, but I could be wrong. Thats great news for a city which has a dismal dining scene. Having been a chef in that city (seems like a lifetime ago) I understand the chellenges regarding a fairly shallow talent pool and limitted supplies of the fresh ingredients that I have become accustomed to in Vancouver. However, having had some amazing meals at Da Moreno in the past, I'm confident that he can deal with all that and more. I wish him all the best! I can't wait to try it out during next years obligatory Christmas visit!

They are tearing down the "Crossroads" on Cambie and Broadway to make way for a residential tower and a RAV station. There are rumours of a restaurant opening on the main floor of said residential tower but no news as to what.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but sadly, the Wing Wah on E Broadway ist kaput. It has a new name and some of the former staff, but my partner says the food is not up to scratch.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows about rumours that we're getting an organic food store where the McD's used to be at Main and around 28th?

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

They are tearing down the "Crossroads" on Cambie and Broadway to make way for a residential tower and a RAV station.  There are rumours of a restaurant opening on the main floor of said residential tower but no news as to what.

I think that RAV station is going at the parking lot 1 block south of Broadway, behind Cityhall.

There is a Whole Foods slated to go at the Crossroads space.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

They are tearing down the "Crossroads" on Cambie and Broadway to make way for a residential tower and a RAV station.  There are rumours of a restaurant opening on the main floor of said residential tower but no news as to what.

I think that RAV station is going at the parking lot 1 block south of Broadway, behind Cityhall.

There is a Whole Foods slated to go at the Crossroads space.

Neil, do you know what establishments/businesses are going to be affected by the RAV station in Yaletown?

EDIT: oh yeah, the cafe crepe on robson has also reopened (a awhile ago actually), if anyone fancies a big pile of crepes

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Neil, do you know what establishments/businesses are going to be affected by the RAV station in Yaletown?

Yes. I am on the Yaletown Business Improvement Association and chair a couple of committees, including the ones affected by RAV.

We are working with RAVCO and the City and all of the other players involved to minimize the hardship the station construction is going to put on the neighbourhood and well and working with the designers to massage the external look. It has taken up a massive amount of time but the station is forever so it is something that should be done right.

More on this later and the businesses it affects.

Cheers

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com