• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

BTW, the blog for Rare One is now available through waiterblog.

I'm sure some of you are wondering who of our number had the balls to go into the Bis Moreno space. I'm happy to report it's our very own Brian Fowke (and his business partner Tim Keller - a lurker of note). I think it represents a great opportunity for the public to see the process and take part in it. I hope you guys will check it out and use the comment threads to start a dialogue with them. If you ask, I'm sure they will answer.

Good luck, fellas. :smile:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Re: Herald St - I could have sworn it was open when I walked by on my way from Brasserie (closed for Xmas) to Canoe. That would have been Dec 27. It was drearily empty at the time, though, which I lamented to N about.

Le Croc may be doing it a bit too much in the way of flattery, but I agree Andrew it was certainly an institution when we grew up in Vic. Memories of getting to tag along with my sibs once, and ordering watermelon juice of all things (what will they think of next!?). Another end of another era.

BTW, the blog for Rare One is now available through waiterblog.

I'm sure some of you are wondering who of our number had the balls to go into the Bis Moreno space. I'm happy to report it's our very own Brian Fowke (and his business partner Tim Keller - a lurker of note). I think it represents a great opportunity for the public to see the process and take part in it. I hope you guys will check it out and use the comment threads to start a dialogue with them. If you ask, I'm sure they will answer.

Good luck, fellas.  :smile:

Thanks for the shill!

But more importantly, thanks for helping with the website...it looks (and works) great, and the price was right (nil)!

I will be posting during the construction phase as much for myself as others, to keep a journal of my first opening. Comments, etc will be welcomed and answered. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. As well, feel free to come down for a personal tour of the reno.

Brian

Chef/Owner/Teacher

According to the City Food web site, rumour has it that Liberty Wine Merchants is opening a store in the Net Loft on Granville Island. I assume it's the vacant space immediately east of Circle Craft that was a jeweler and then a Granville Island paraphenalia and information spot for a few months last year. That's a great location, I'll be interested to see what wines they stock.

Cheers,

Anne

1: RIP Herald Street Cafe. this left me a little shell shocked

2: congrats to chef Fowke!

3: it's been leaked to me that the Kiwi Pie Co is closing it's doors on friday Jan 13th.

time to stock up on frozen pies while you can (if you're a fan, that is). :sad:

Quentina

Re The Herald Street

Well I have to say it has been going downhill for years. Last time I ate there was about 4 years ago, and their smoked salmon latkes were cold and greasy, the crabcakes were odd tasting and the service was poor as well. And I never did like their chairs!

In its heyday, it was great. Hmm - will there be a restaurant taking over? Or another interior design store?

3: it's been leaked to me that the Kiwi Pie Co is closing it's doors on friday Jan 13th.                                                           

time to stock up on frozen pies while you can (if you're a fan, that is).  :sad:

Very sad indeed.. Do you know if both locations are shutting down or just the robson street locale?

time to stock up on frozen pies while you can (if you're a fan, that is).   :sad:

Very sad indeed.. Do you know if both locations are shutting down or just the robson street locale?

I drove past the Kingsway (Burnaby) one the other day and it was closed :sad:

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Re The Herald Street

Well I have to say it has been going downhill for years. Last time I ate there was about 4 years ago, and their smoked salmon latkes were cold and greasy, the crabcakes were odd tasting and the service was poor as well. And I never did like their chairs!

In its heyday, it was great. Hmm - will there be a restaurant taking over? Or another interior design store?

An update - The windows are papered up with a hand-written sign declaring they are under new management, opening again late January. I see no sign of the Herald St. Caffe logo being scratched off the window so far.

One of the strongest reasons that Herald St. Caffe was so successful in its day was the expert kitchen management of chef Mark Finnigan. His systems in the kitchen were exquisitely in place. I have never seen anything like it since. Working in that kitchen was an extreme honor.

Brasserie L'ecole is papered up as well with a major renovation going underway. Patio seating in the works and better kitchen layout. They will be re-opening - the sign says - January 13th.

Daidoco is also papered up with a sign declaring renovations. Hurry please.

Mum's Gelati at 4th & Vine seems to have closed down after many years. 

That totally sucks.  :sad:

k.

That does suck. :shock::sad:

Got to wonder if real estate value is killing the small, indie or unique food ops. in some locations. Perhaps East Van may become the new Kits or .....

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

time to stock up on frozen pies while you can (if you're a fan, that is).  :sad:

I drove past the Kingsway (Burnaby) one the other day and it was closed :sad:

i had a chat with cliff (the pie guy) and he said that the kingsway location is closing it's doors on the 13th and the robson one on the 20th.

as for it being closed the other day, annanstee, i know that they aren't open every day due to slow sales, so maybe that was the case??

Quentina

For those in the boonies, two new places opening in Burnaby,

at Lougheed and Bainbridge. Rain, which was formerly Stinking

Rose, which was formerly BB Belton's, closed in the summer.

Looks like a Russian restaurant going in there. Odd.

Across the highway, the old Fogg 'n' Suds, which has been

shuttered for some time, looks like it's being taken over by

something called the Soho Grill (?).

That's a tough corner to do business it looks like.

I used to go to the old Fogg 'n Sudds there and I have to say that their hot wings were decent but if you got the right server you could get a ton of their blue cheese dipping sauce of which I was addicted to. Man, it was so good.

Never very busy there though. Think the only remaining Fogg 'n Sudds is probably the one over at Cambie and Broadway iirc.

Never ate at BB Beltons/Stinking Rose.

Never very busy there though. Think the only remaining Fogg 'n Sudds is probably the one over at Cambie and Broadway iirc.

Not even that one either. It's now Original Joe's... has been for some time now.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

For those in the boonies, two new places opening in Burnaby,

at Lougheed and Bainbridge. Rain, which was formerly Stinking

Rose, which was formerly BB Belton's, closed in the summer.

Looks like a Russian restaurant going in there. Odd.

That really is a tough corner. Nothing seems to want to stay there. Our company held a few events at RAIN and I will admit it wasn't really that good. Best of luck for the new place, I really hope something sticks because that spot seems to have a curse.

The Fog n Suds was never busy on that corner but the food was decent. I guess that's the problem. The curse of mediocrity?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello