• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

[Host's note: to minimise the load on our servers, this topic has been split.  The discussion continues from here.]

The lights have been on both yesterday and today at Bis Moreno. The tables appeared set as well Is there a new owner getting ready to open?!?!?!?!?

Cheers!

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)

The location that used to house Al's Soul Food on the corner of Rupert and 1st has a new restaurant called European Village Restaurant. Anyone know anything about this place? Which type of European food does it offer?

Cheers!

ahah!! a leak :laugh::laugh:

regardless, I think Mr. Morrison has gotten to it, and removed access to the food/wine/service concept articles which I secretly read and enjoyed very much. A rare one indeed :smile:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Wow

How many people know where Zeballos is? I think I passed through there on a campign trip on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Link to MAP HERE

How much they asking? It does have fairly good access to fresh fish from the geography I think.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

the website for the new bis moreno location is Rare one, the name of the locations is explained throughout, sounds like it could be a great place.

I had a sneek peek at the blog on the link, before it went all 404 that is.

The Rare person wrote something to the effect that they/he/she will be hanging picture`s of the site previous occupants as a honourable and respectful foodie graveyard in a tasteful photographic format . Giving the new tenants some thing other than IL Giardino`s customers to look at on slow nights.

Maybe they have better luck than Bis Morano,( live by the media and you shall surely die by it ). Etoile, hmmm. why did no one go there then but crowd into parkside now ? i could go on , but i won`t.

I wish them luck in premises that would make a roaring trade as a dry cleaners.

oh, and Happy New Year :]

tt

I have been doing some very preliminary work with a new concept restaurant in the heart of the downtown eastside called Butirmoth. Owner Terri Storey was part of the opening team of Wild Rice. The other owner is from California originally. They are a ways away from being ready and/or for me to actually start working for them but in the mean time they have a good blog! Had a great read over Christmas. Looks like they are frustrated with money issues, but have gone ahead and bought the building, now they just have to come up with the financing for the restaurant.

Very early days yet but fun to follow their adventures. http://www.butirmoth.com/blog/

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

I have been doing some very preliminary work with a new concept restaurant in the heart of the downtown eastside called Butirmoth.

Butter-moth? Boo-TEER-moth? BOO-ter-moth? Boo-TAIR-moth? Help!

At least when you Google it, it's the only thing that comes up! I'm surprised how few business owners think of Google-rarity when deciding upon a name.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Boo-Ter-Moth. You know, like the sandwich spread. :huh: Cate beat me to it, but I've made mention of both blogs in my column this week. It's on pre-opening marketing.

A sneak peek at the opening para:

It used to be that when you opened a restaurant you’d just build the thing, make sure the ovens worked, unlock the door, and then wait for your first table. If you were media savvy at all you might splurge on a newspaper ad to announce your arrival on the scene, but most would just hope for the best. Amazingly, some still trundle that doomed route to suffer the consequences of anonymity, but others hire PR people and consultants to plan an opening strategy and reserve a chunk of their start-up budget for glossy marketing. But not everyone has the cash to that, and hope doesn‘t guarantee bums in seats on opening day. Hope, at least in the restaurant business, is dumb.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Boo-Ter-Moth. You know, like the sandwich spread.  :huh:

Mmm. Butirmoth. With two patio light shake-fuls of moth in every creamy jar.

Their blog makes for an interesting read, especially the post about the building's tenants. I also liked the "I feel like I need to head out into the woods and do some acid or something…" quote. I would definitely eat at a restaurant whose owners espouse this philosophy, and I'd order the mushrooms.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Their blog makes for an interesting read, especially the post about the building's tenants. I also liked the "I feel like I need to head out into the woods and do some acid or something…" quote. I would definitely eat at a restaurant whose owners espouse this philosophy, and I'd order the mushrooms.

chefs have to get their creativity from somewhere :laugh:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

at least when the munchies hit, you don't have to go far :laugh:

Quentina

Does anyone know what is going in across from Kits Workout? 4th avenue between Cyprus and Maple next to the Kohinoor Tandori.

Solved my own mystery. Arian Kebab House opened. I went in today and the concept seems to be fast-food Persian. It smelt great, some lamb shanks were simmering away. All sorts of Persion rice, french fries!, obviously Kebabs.

Not much atmosphere, but the prices looked very reasonable.

Finally Persion Food in Kits.

I'll post more once I have been.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

Walked by the Normandy on Granville today. They are selling off the last vestiges of their restaurant salvaged from the fire.

Nice booths still available.

The last hold out of South Granville restaurant history is sadly gone for good. Szasz came before them as did the Aristocrat where I luckily managed to buy a few plates with "Risty" their monocoled mascot. Those plates become vehicles for our weekend breakfasts. Two eggs scrambled with hashbrowns, brown toast and coffee. Priceless.

Edited by shelora (log)

Having returned home to Victoria, two restaurants have firmly closed their doors.

Bravo on Wharf, a difficult space, but they made it work the longest of all the restaurant incarnations there. Sorry to see them go.

Herald St. Caffe is also gone. That is one amazing space and a killer location.

With a lot of coin, coupled with some smart and creative people, someone out there I'm sure, could put the magic mojo back on Herald St.

Wow. :huh: That's crazy! For those who don't make it over to Vic often, this was once our capital's equivalent of say, Le Crocodile. So many great chefs and servers sharpened their skills there (eg. Jeff Keenliside). Seeing it go under is a big shock as once upon a time it was one of the best joints in town (and one of the most sought after waitron gigs). How'd it go down? I went last year (wrote some juvenalia about it here) and I never thought I'd see the day.

I just hope the new incarnation of HSC changes the freakin' brand.

RIP. :sad:

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine