• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2009– )

Lumiere just never seemed to regain its' cache after Feenie left.

The Bistro side seemed still busy but signs were present, last time we were there was a Sunday Brunch and they had an "All you can Drink Bloody Caesar" promo.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Vancouver is a contradiction. A vibrant Farmers' Market scene, small independent coffee roasters, Fisherman's Warf, etc, but the most bog standard restaurants. Comapred to other cities of similar (or larger) size, Vancouver's high end restaurants are aweful. There I've said it; but it doesn't make me feel any better.

I mean, Rob Feaney is famous not for being a great chef, but for competing on a reality TV series on a minority, dumbed down cable channel. Tough, but true.

Really? "Rob Feaney (sic) is famous not for being a great chef, but for competing on a reality TV series on a minority, dumbed down cable channel. Tough, but true." Feeny was famous long before his appearance on Iron Chef. You've sold him about as short as one could.

Yep, I spelt Feaney wrong. But, then so did you. It's Feenie, I believe, not Feeny (sic).

I haven't sold him short. By becoming the "Food Concept Architect" at the Catus Club he's sold himself short. I mean it's the most laughable title I've ever heard. Even my own title of Charlie Sheen's "Randomised Ramblings Quality Assurance Engineer" comes a distant second. But don't tell Charlie that.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the ruours abuut Dale MacKay opening a restaurant in the former Corner Suite Bistro De Luxe space are true. It looks like he's taking a good portion of the Lumiere crew with him.

Ensemble will open in early May in the space formerly occupied by the Corner Suite Bistro De Luxe, at 850 Thurlow St. in Vancouver. It will likely have about 80 seats in the restaurant and 30 in the bar, said MacKay, adding he has a silent partner in this venture.

MacKay's modern French sensibility will be reflected in the menu, and he'll be taking along nearly 20 kitchen and front-of-house staffers from Lumiere to Ensemble.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Lumiere+chef+open+restaurant+early/4447706/story.html#ixzz1GzB5loXO

Cheers,

Anne

Does anyone know what is happening with Thierry? I walk by that location fairly often and there's not a whole lot of signs that anything much is happening there.

I'm hearing a mid-May opening now.

Cheers,

Anne

• 3 weeks later...