• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2009– )

Romer's Burger Bar took over the Pinkys space on 4th Ave & Cypress. Took a quick peek inside, it looks like an upscale sports bar. Menu is, of course, mostly burgers (around the $10 range). As they're open for lunch, I'll probably check it out in the next couple weeks.

Delilah's is now Delilah's Conviction. The following description taken from their website:

Canada’s top chef Marc Thuet, and his wife and partner Biana Zorich have taken over the restaurant in this exciting new television series, Conviction Kitchen (season 2), where they give ex-convicts a second chance in life. The appropriately renamed Delilah’s Conviction is employing 6 front-of-house, and 6 back-of-house employees, all extremely eager to turn their lives around and ready to please. We look forward to serving you!

Interesting. Apparently it is now a gastropub.

Cheers,

Anne

I just picked up this news on the "Floating Dining Room" from City Food:

Don’t be surprised if over the summer months you see a different type of vessel moored in False Creek. This ‘boat’ is actually an elegant 12-person dining room, floating on a base of plastic bottles. The seaworthy dining room is the first of its kind in the world and a project of School of Fish (SOFF) founder Shannon Ronalds.

The floating ‘patio;’ designed by Matt Kirk-Buss of Loki Ocean, is constructed entirely of renewable, recycled, reclaimed and/or re-purposed materials, seats only 12 and is a fully outfitted formal dining room complete with fine china, crystal and soft music. Clear walls and ceiling shield patrons from the elements while affording them a very unique perspective on False Creek and the views beyond.

Starting July 21st the floating dining room will host 60 nights of exclusive dining. Each candle-lit dinner includes a six-course sustainable seafood meal prepared by multi-award winning Chef Robert Clark of C Restaurant. Mr. Ronalds, a former sommelier, will carefully choose wines to compliment each course. The price for the experience? There is a discount for ordering early – $195 (plus taxes) per person if ordered prior to July 31st (for any date). Starting August 1st the price goes up to $215. Group discounts will also be offered for those who wish to book the entire 12 seats for a private function.

Cheers,

Anne

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just when I was complaining about a dearth of South American places in Vancouver...

Mochikas Peruvian Cafe has recently opened at 1696 W. 5th, sharing the same building as an auto spa! I haven't tried it yet, but Sherman of Sherman's Food Adventures did - post here.

Thanks for sharing this find. I am still on the lookout for the most "authentic" version of ceviche in the city. Tough fare when you've tried the real thing. :)

• 3 months later...

Les amis in Park Royal is closing:

Alice and Allison Spurrell, owners of les amis du FROMAGE are announcing today that they will be

closing their West Vancouver store located at Park Royal Shopping Center. The last day of business at

that location will be Friday January 14, 2011

Cheers,

Anne

And I picked this closing up at the City Food website:

Sweeney's of Yaletown announces they will close, effective immediately, as they look for a new location. "We have not been happy with the level of evening business since opening" says manager Gerard Egan, "and felt we never found our footing in the Yaletown market. Lunch, was always a success, dinner however was never busy enough. This location just wasn't the right fit for our concept, but that doesn't mean another part of Vancouver isn't, so we are closing the door for now and hope to open again in a location that works better for our concept."

Read the full story here: Sweeney's gives up on Yaletown

Looks like the independents are jumping ship in a regular basis.

Cheers,

Anne

It's at Robson and Denman towards Georgia. I think the other yoshoku-ya, Barefoot Kitchen, closed last month too (or so I heard - I haven't been by to confirm).

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

Blue Water is taking over the Sweeney's space. I work in Yaletown and have been to Sweeney's for lunch many times. To food was merely OK....like nearly all the places open for lunch in Yaletown.

fmed

Whew, lots of changes - just heard that Corner Suite Bistro De Luxe is closing over at the Urban Diner forum.

Thanks, yes fmed is right, two shops north of Kintaro.

Too bad about Corner Suite Bistro de Luxe. We brought a few students there for tasting we thought the place was pretty busy.

Whew, lots of changes - just heard that Corner Suite Bistro De Luxe is closing over at the Urban Diner forum.

Thanks, yes fmed is right, two shops north of Kintaro.

Too bad about Corner Suite Bistro de Luxe. We brought a few students there for tasting we thought the place was pretty busy.

Thanks. I never got to the Corner Suite but it seemed like one of those places that had good reviews but couldn't overcome its early problems - opened about 6 months late I think.

Cheers,

Anne

Blue Water is taking over the Sweeney's space. I work in Yaletown and have been to Sweeney's for lunch many times. To food was merely OK....like nearly all the places open for lunch in Yaletown.

Like nearly all the places downtown too. But I must say I had an excellent lunch at la Brasserie over the Christmas break.

Cheers,

Anne

It's at Robson and Denman towards Georgia. I think the other yoshoku-ya, Barefoot Kitchen, closed last month too (or so I heard - I haven't been by to confirm).

Got it thanks.

And yes Barefoot Kitchen is closed. I walked by on the way home tonight.

Cheers,

Anne

>>Like nearly all the places downtown too. But I must say I had an excellent lunch at la Brasserie over the Christmas break.

La Brasserie's suckling pig sandwich is outstanding!

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

A Hapa is going into the old Metro place. Here's the news release:

Hapa Izakaya Restaurant Group to Open Hapa Umi by March 2011

(Vancouver, BC) January 7, 2010 – Lea and Justin Ault of Vancouver’s hip Hapa Izakaya restaurant group will open a new restaurant, Hapa Umi, by early March 2011. Construction is already under way at 200 Burrard, at the former Metro Restaurant & Lounge location, across the street from the Vancouver Convention Centre.

Umi means ocean in Japanese, and with the restaurant’s prime downtown waterfront location the Aults seized the opportunity to launch a concept they’ve been developing for some time.

“Hapa Umi will offer a more sophisticated and upscale version of the Hapa Izakaya experience with a sustainable seafood forward menu, sushi bar, and more refined service standards.”

Leading the kitchen brigade will be long-time Hapa chef Tomoki Yamasaki. He’ll be joined by new recruit Tetsuya Shimizu, a kaiseki trained chef who was most recently sous chef at Blue Water Cafe's raw bar. At the front of the house, Justin will be joined by recently appointed general manager, Kevin Banno. Kevin brings a wealth of experience from his tenure as a general manager in the Cactus Club Café organization; he was most recently their Yaletown GM.

Once again, the Aults are turning to M Studio for their interior design expertise. Expect an understated elegantly modern room with finely textured textiles, and rich walnut wood. The restaurant boasts loads of windows with outside views, a real departure from the underground and insular design of the existing Hapa restaurants. The 150 seat restaurant spans a large bar, lounge, and private dining room, and in warmer month a 50 seat patio with wonderful views of the vibrant neighbourhood.

Hapa Umi will be open for lunch Monday to Friday and dinner nightly.

Cheers,

Anne

Signs for "Pink Elephant Thai" up on Alberni across from Urban Fare.

Does anyone know what is happening with Thierry? I walk by that location fairly often and there's not a whole lot of signs that anything much is happening there.

Cheers,

Anne

They've been open several months already, but Via Veneto on West Broadway (at Ash) is excellent. Owner used to run Amarcord in Yaletown, which is now closed.

I was there for a weekday lunch, and we had the mixed seafood appetizer (my favourite), mussels, caesar salad, mixed greens, and spaghetti alla puttenesca. Everything was delicious, reasonably priced, excellent service. Menu's been updated from Amarcord with some of the old main-stays, but the food has been greatly improved and is now better than Amarcord was. Haven't been for dinner yet, but will be trying it out soon.

• 5 weeks later...