• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2009– )

interesting, i was by delilahs today and there was a sign saying closed for renos and listed their web-site which also says that its only closed for renos

Hmm, well we'll see. Delilah's is owned by a company with a number of restaurants so it is possible that they are "rebranding" or just truly renovating. But the poster on Urban Diner was clearly stating "closed". Denman Street isn't looking all that healthy right now at that end.

Cheers,

Anne

The concession stand at English Bay is going to become a Cactus Club restaurant:

New restaurant comes to English Bay

I'm generally supportive of the direction the Parks Board is taking - Watermark on Kits Beach has been very successful, at least in terms of getting customers in the door and also enlivening the beachfront area. I haven't been, but it sounds like it suffers from its location: Great view/so-so food. At least with Cactus Club you know what you're getting.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 2 weeks later...

Then there's the really big news - the arrival of Vancouver's first 牛丼家 (Gyūdon-ya) or 'beef-bowl' shop. They're cornering the market by actually calling it Gyudonya.

Thumbs up for Gyudonya! My first visit today - I had the gyudon value set which came with miso soup and potato salad for $6.95. I had a total flashback to my time in Tokyo when I practically lived on the 300 yen gyudon at Yoshinoya. The meat was lighter and somewhat less juicy than what I remember getting in Tokyo, but the taste was spot-on.

The place was absolutely packed by noon, with lots of people ordering take out as well. I think they have a winning concept, so hopefully they'll be opening some more outlets. Closer to me.

The staff were all Japanese with the exception of the manager, who was Korean. If it's Korean-owned, it's interesting that they use the Japanese name 'gyudon'.

• 2 weeks later...

i sure wish him the best, he's had alot of hard luck in this town

Having had, at Mon Bella Bistoria, one of the most sorry and un-inspired meals I ever have to pay for, I too wish him the best of luck.

Edited by nondual1 (log)

Fowke's site has the menu up... I'm surprised by the prices which are certainly not cheap, which is the opposite direction many West Side restaurants (Refuel, Maenam, etc) have been going, and a definite departure from Mon Bella. Unless I'm mistaken and these are share plates, which was bandied about as a concept earlier. The menu is decidedly vague, so some clarification would be great! Anyway, soft opening starts tomorrow.

Was that when Brian Fowke was there ( the last few months of operation ) or during the first six months? The first six months had a few different chefs. Brian was brought in to help with the concept, but alas, it was too late.

I like the new version room : clean lines, simple, not cluttered.

I have always been a fan of Brian's food. This menu is a reflection of Brian's cooking. Anything he might have done in the Mon Bella days was trying to stay inside the French / Italian / Bistro / trattoria theme ( hence the name ) .

Try and make it down and show him some support. He has a kitchen staff of, well, none..........just him.

The menu is full plates ( hence the price ) , although he will do a tasting menu if requested.

Cheers

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I went last week, and it was good. Very small menu, which I like, and I think is more doable in a small room. I could never get behind the last concept - but I do like the daily menu, and I think it's where he's best.

It is indeed a kitchen of one right now.

Little disappointed that there was no Neil Wyles cameo that evening.

Barrett Jones - 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Dwell Time - my coffee and photography site

Just when I was complaining about a dearth of South American places in Vancouver...

Mochikas Peruvian Cafe has recently opened at 1696 W. 5th, sharing the same building as an auto spa! I haven't tried it yet, but Sherman of Sherman's Food Adventures did - post here.

Just when I was complaining about a dearth of South American places in Vancouver...

Mochikas Peruvian Cafe has recently opened at 1696 W. 5th, sharing the same building as an auto spa! I haven't tried it yet, but Sherman of Sherman's Food Adventures did - post here.

Hey Kentan -- I stumbled across that place in mid-March -- you can check out the ramblings here: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/695550?tag=search_results;results_list

Hey Kentan -- I stumbled across that place in mid-March -- you can check out the ramblings here: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/695550?tag=search_results;results_list

Gracias grayelf! As always you are a few forks ahead of me. Sounds like great food. Looks like I'll have to start perusing the CH boards a bit more often...

Fowke's site has the menu up... I'm surprised by the prices which are certainly not cheap, which is the opposite direction many West Side restaurants (Refuel, Maenam, etc) have been going, and a definite departure from Mon Bella. Unless I'm mistaken and these are share plates, which was bandied about as a concept earlier. The menu is decidedly vague, so some clarification would be great! Anyway, soft opening starts tomorrow.

To all my good friend here at eGullet....

I am pleased to announce that we have just completed two weeks of ‘soft openings’ and training. The official opening day of KITS DAILY KITCHEN was May 1st 2010 with a sold out room.

The new business is very simple – I have opened a fresh, airy room in the heart of Kitsilano – two blocks from the beach and Granville Island with easy access to downtown. The room is open, clean and minimalist; while still showing a Kitsilano charm.

The food is fine, but the room is not fine dining, rather comfortable and simple elegance. Quintessential West Coast Cuisine. The same can be said for the service – details are important, but never stuffy or unapproachable.

But the Life to the project are the menus. They will be created daily...

I will be purchasing, prepping and cooking every dish DAILY. No Sous chef, line cook or pastry cook – I will be preparing a dining experience for 30 people each night. My wife and two of my favourite people will be hosting the tables. The food will be supported with a Daily wine list of 12 – 20 labels that support the food.

All my food is sourced locally – with an international flavouring of accoutrements. The menu is very personal, passion driven and I plan to have fun.

I might be 6 – 12 months ahead of the economy, but I cannot open a ‘recession driven’ restaurant. My food, service and wine are all leading edge and top quality with strong traditional roots – I will never discount the experience or the quality and will always stand behind my pricing. I can pass on great value in the fine food segment, while still delivering a room that is fun and lively.

For more information about the restaurant please visit www.kitsdaily.com

If you would like to receive a Daily menu update, please email me at brian@cheffowke.com to join the Daily mailing list. Each day the Daily menu will be emailed to you at 4pm.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

All you fast food aficionados might already know, but a Five Guys location snuck into Park Royal South in April. The internets frequently flare in east vs. west Five Guys vs. In-n-Out fights about who has the best burger, and I haven't personally had either, but it's probably worth checking out if you find yourself mall shopping.

i think the best time to visit Mochikas would be on the weekend dinner time.

was there on a weekday and they really didnt have much in the way of home cooked peruvian food. its more a wrap and bunwich place Mon-Fri. even the empanadas are bought in, as they done have the facilities apparently. would like to return to try the 6hr braised duck..

Szechuan Chongqing(Commercial Dr.) has opened a little location on the 1200 block Robson.

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the long-awaited opening of the Japadog restaurant. Swung by there today for a bite: most of the greatest hits were available (Terimayo, Oroshi, Okonomi) but several of the odder offerings at specific stands were not. My favourite, Ume, not there :( . New restaurant-only items included the "Tonkotsu" dog, which was a deep-fried pork cutlet smothered with sauce & mayo, red cabbage, served in a hot dog bun; as well as the "Love Meat" (really), a hot dog served with meat sauce and melted cheese - not sure if this was a beef or kurobuta sausage, but given the price point I would guess the former. They also offered combos which included McD's-like fries shaken with seasoning mix. Had the "butter shoyu" which was an odd flavour mix of french fries and popcorn.

They also had some odd dessert offerings - chocolate-coated banana in a bun, and some sort of flavoured ice thing I didn't investigate further.

All the combos came in under $10, and they had great takeout packaging available. They will probably do a killer evening takeout business.

Edited by Nicholas Ellan (log)

• 2 weeks later...