• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2009– )

Kaplan's Star Deli on Alberni has closed. I wonder if they got a rent increase - that stretch of Alberni seems to be turning into a high-end version of Robson Street.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 2 weeks later...

Fuel Restaurant on W. 4th in Kitsilano has announced it will be closing Nov. 29 and reopening Dec. 2 as a more casual neighbourhood style venue. Sad to see the original concept fall by the wayside but very happy that their style and quality will continue in a more affordable direction.

Fried Chicken Fridays will continue to the end of the month and their third annual Whole Hog Dinner will take place Nov. 25, 26, 27.

Looking forward to December.

Japafries.

Is this a good thing? Wait.

Japanese poutine.

Japafries with tonkatsu mayo and tofu.

Japapou.

Poujap. Nah, that sounds a bit South Asian.

All joking aside I wish them all the best.

slowfood/slowwine

Vip's restaurant in West Van, on Marine near 15th, has been replaced by a new store called Ginger and Soy and bearing the subtitle "Chinese cuisine." So far I haven't seen anyone in it, probably they haven't put a menu in the window so no one knows if it's expensive, regional, or what. Kind of a major mistake.

Had lunch at the new Red Door location in Park Royal Village. Excellent, especially the ginger beef. The service was a bit too friendly and over the top for my taste, but I'd still go back for the food.

Paul B

The Saltlik space on Alberni is undergoing a renovation, to be replaced by Town Hall, 'a new Earls concept' by the Fuller Bros. No info on the website as to what the new concept will be, but I'm guessing it will involve a lower price point.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night my friends and I had the opportunity to have dinner at the newly opened "Tempest Steakhouse" on Main Street. One of the refreshing aspects of this place is that it is a nice but casual environment. The GM used to work at Morton's and has brought over to their menu the famous Sirloin Tip Sliders that were served in the bar at Morton's.

We had a nice selection of appetizers for the table with drinks. Everything was served hot and tasty. Then on to the main course which for me was a Rib Eye with Peppercorn sauce and two side consisting of creamed corn and a potato gratin. The steak was delicious, perfectly cooked and tender. The standout of the two sides was the house made creamed corn .... just amazing. It was all we could do to keep one of our friends at the table to not lick his plate clean.

Great service with very friendly staff and a reasonably close location to downtown will definitely have us going back.

• 1 month later...

It’s been pretty slow around here. Here’s a list of various openings, closings, changes that come to mind:

- New Hapa Izakaya (#3) in Yaletown on Hamilton

- Villa del Lupo is now Lupo with the return of Julio Gonzalez Perini

- Glowbal renamed Glowbal Grill Steaks and Satay (ie, they added “steak” to the name)

- La Belle Patate, featuring poutine and apparently an offshoot of a Victoria restaurant, opened on 1200 block Davie (by the Super Value)

- Corner suite bisto deluxe is still not open, but has lots of press

- Mis Trucos, tapas, opened in Davie upstairs beside the Shoppers

- Cafe de Paris is closed

- Hawksworth is not opening until 2011

Cheers,

Anne

I went and checked out Bao Bei tonight - and had a great time.

The room has a great vibe, the service was spot on, and the food had some really great home made flavors. I was really impressed by how much was made in house - even things like steamed wrappers and sesame flat breads - which are readily available premade (and many Chinese restaurants do use frozen). Pork belly and sesame shao bing (crisp bread filled with pulled pork) - were real standouts.

The place is very busy - and they deserve all their success. I had a very enjoyable evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another Guu has opened according to today's Georgia Straight:

Going Guu Guu Gaga

Six. That’s how many Guu izakayas there are now, including the recently opened Guu Toronto. Guu Garden at M101–888 Nelson Street (enter via Hornby Street stairs) is the newest and largest in the Vancouver-based chain. The menu is smaller and a little different from those of the others. Highlights include grilled miso black cod, yam miso oden, and sake cheesecake.

Cheers,

Anne

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if that row of shops on the south side of the 500 block of Robson has been bought by a Japanese investor. All the new eating spots there are Japanese.

A Beard Papa location opened there a little while ago. Then a new Japanese BBQ place called Kushi Box opened in January. They're part of the Zakkushi Group that has locations on Denman, W 4th, and Main St.

And of course Japadog will be opening their first stand-alone place right next door.

Then there's the really big news - the arrival of Vancouver's first 牛丼家 (Gyūdon-ya) or 'beef-bowl' shop. They're cornering the market by actually calling it Gyudonya. I had long thought that one of Japan's big gyūdon chains would be the first to enter the Vancouver market, like Yoshinoya or Matsuya, or Sukiya. Especially Yoshinoya because they have over 1,400 locations and almost 100 locations in the U.S. But I like the look of that Gyudon-ya is creating. It seems to be aiming a bit more up-market than the gyūdon places in Japan and the U.S.

But I won't consider Gyudonya authentic if it doesn't have the vending machines for ordering at the front. I'm surprised that no one's tried this in Vancouver yet!

P1030468.JPG

P1030469.JPG

P1030470.JPG

P1030471.JPG

P1030472.JPG

P1030473.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

u sushi on Denman (1184) papered over and it appears Kadoya will open up its next location there, challenging upstairs location there have been 2 or 3 places in there since Black Tuna ultimately died