• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2009– )

Maenam the Thai replacement for Gastropod on W.4th (same chef/owners) officially opens for business Friday although they have been doing a soft opening the last couple of days.

Have you been? Looks very promising.

Yes, and it is.

Very very enjoyable. Four of us dined on Saturday night and had a great time.

Started with:

Chicken satays - standard satay, but the peanut sauce was great!

Hot and Sour seafood sour - Lovely slighty lemony flavor, light coloured but very falvour broth...very enjoyable, would get in an instand

Pad Thai - Havn't had a lot of good phad thai's to compare to, but I loved it.

David Thompson 3 flavour fish - exactly as the description, "equally sweet, salty and sour"

Mussaman chicken - prety sure it was described as sort of sweet....sure it wasn't as spicy as the 3 flavour fish, but it wasn't really sweet. That being said, definately a great dish that I would order again and again.

Of the 5 plates we tried, there is not one I wouldn't order again. I look forward to going again soon and working at the rest of the menu!

Shane

Various openings and closings reported on various Vancouver food sites:

Lombardo’s on Smithe is closing, reported in Waiterforum

Saveur is closed and will reopen as “the corner suite bistro deluxe” in July, reported everywhere

Latitude, from the former Raincoast Café owners, has opened on Main

Wally’s Burgers has emerged in a new incarnation in North Van and may open in other locations, reported in City Food

Jay Jones is leaving Vopa to open Pourhouse in Gastown, reported everywhere

Cheers,

Anne

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Long-running Robson St standby Cafe S'il Vous Plait on Robson has closed. I always liked its simple comfort food and even those incredibly cramped booths.

Also noticed that Macaroni Grill on Davie has shut its doors. I'll be interested to see what takes its place - it's never seemed to be a great location for restaurants.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Not really a restaurant but the long running Basic Stock on W. 4th is going to become another kitchen gadget store called "Call the Kettle Black".

I assume it's the same store as the one in Edmonton which is packed with all kinds of middle to high end kitchen stuff. Prices there are about like Basic Stock's so other than selection it should be interesting to see how they fit into the Vancouver market.

Long-running Robson St standby Cafe S'il Vous Plait on Robson has closed. I always liked its simple comfort food and even those incredibly cramped booths.

Also noticed that Macaroni Grill on Davie has shut its doors. I'll be interested to see what takes its place - it's never seemed to be a great location for restaurants.

Actually, excepting the 2 years it was closed due to fire, Macaroni Grill was amazingly successful while I was there(1994-2002), annual revenue ran between $4.5-$5 million. And the rent was ridiculously cheap. The NET profit ran between 15%-17%. Sounds pretty successful to me.

I think the closure is more a part of the crumbling parent company, The Spectra Group, who once owned Boathouse, Milestones, Bread Garden, Macaroni Grill, Yankee Diner, PJs All Star Cafe.

At their peak, they had over 100 restaurants, they now have 4.

Edited by Chef Rotherham (log)

Alex Rotherham

Executive Chef

Darby's Pub

• 4 weeks later...

Opening soon next to Don Guacamole's on Robson is a new Japanese place which is neither a sushi shop nor an izakaya. The name outside says 'Donburiya' so it looks like donburi will be their specialty. They're going for a modern rather than a traditional look for the interior.

I've been pining so long for a great okonomiyaki-ya in Vancouver that I hadn't even thought about donburi-ya. Here's hoping it'll be a worthy addition to Vancouver's Japanese restaurant scene.

Another izakaya opening soon on Denman Street. Wanoma (和の間) will be located right next door to Kingyo. With all the customers usually waiting around to get into Kingyo they should do very well...

Another izakaya opening soon on Denman Street. Wanoma (和の間) will be located right next door to Kingyo. With all the customers usually waiting around to get into Kingyo they should do very well...

I saw that walking by the other day. It looks like a handsome space. In fact - I was wondering if it is an adjunct space to Kingyo.

• 5 weeks later...

Gaia Bistro just opened in Kerrisdale, in the old Cco Cco Chicken space on W 41st. It looks like they are focusing on Mediterranean/Israeli/North African cuisine. It's right in my neighbourhood, so I'm looking forward to giving it a go soon.

Gaia Bistro just opened in Kerrisdale, in the old Cco Cco Chicken space on W 41st. It looks like they are focusing on Mediterranean/Israeli/North African cuisine. It's right in my neighbourhood, so I'm looking forward to giving it a go soon.

Does anyone know if Cco Cco Chicken reopened anywhere? Or where else I can go to get my Korean fried chicken fix?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure everyone knows this by now, but I just found out that Pink Pearl on Hastings has been closed temporarily (?) by a fire. I haven't been there in a quite a few years, since the overall quality of dim sum has greatly improved in Vancouver and especially Richmond, while PP kind of stood still both in terms of decor and food. Still, I have great memories of ordering from the carts at the PP back in the day. I hope they do reopen and up their game a bit in the process.

• 2 weeks later...