• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2009– )

Au Petit Chavignol, a wine and cheese focused restaurant - from the owners of les amis du fromage - is open at 845 East Hastings St.

From their website:

The food menu consists primarily of cheese, house made terrines, freshly sliced Iberico Ham, Prosciutto di Parma and cheese accoutrements.  Unlike most wine bars, Au petit also has a full kitchen where we prepare salads, soups, fondue, raclette, tartiflette, croque monsieur and other cheese based specialties.  We make everything fresh daily and in-house. 

We offer several wines by the glass and bottle, along with bottled and draught beer.  Our reserve wine list is made up of wines that vary from familiar to the obscure;  to cheese friendly favourites and our favourite varietal...Riesling.  Several of the "by the bottle" wines can be ordered by the glass if you commit to ordering at least two glasses

Cheers,

Anne

Nice to hear Chef Jeff has found a home at Diva!

"The talented and perseverant Chef Jeff Van Geest is running the show at Diva at the Met, bringing with him, the calm and cool, David Edigar."

And from the same email they confirm the Parkside transformation with the added bonus of Aurora's sous chef coming on board

"Sous Chef, Sam Hartles has been showing off his knife skills at Parkside Restaurant, soon to be LaBuca2."

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 2 weeks later...
Tomorrow is the last day for Save-on-Meats
Not quite closed yet, but Save-on-Meats on Hastings seems to be destined to close after 50 some odd years.  A little publicity in today's Sun might help:
Owner Al DesLauriers is 78, and wants to retire. He quietly put the Save-on-Meats building at 43 West Hastings up for sale last year for $3 million, and may close the business down on March 14 if he can’t find a buyer.

Find story here

Aww, just noticed this, it would be a shame if nobody carried on this iconic business.

Edited by Country Cook (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In more positive Japanese restaurant news, I just saw today that a Japanese restaurant called Kanpachi will be opening next to the Mongolie Grill at W Bway and Cambie.

I'm crossing my fingers that this is the same Kanpachi group of sushi spots which started in Ginza in the mid-1950s. They have about 20 restaurants, all in and around Tokyo, except for one location in California. Their sushi is first-rate and their tamago-yaki is legendary. Here are some of their current sushi offerings. I hope this means that some of the Japanese restaurant and izakaya chains are now looking abroad to expand...

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 2 weeks later...

On Scout this morning:

We are very saddened to have to report that the very excellent Chow Restaurant at 3121 Granville St. will close tonight after service.

Chef JC Poirier's ode to smooth and sophisticated French was outstanding in my book, from the always reliable food and the stellar bar program to the slick decor and genuine service.

Chow was a complete restaurant, the kind of youthful and independent neighbourhood operation I wish we had plenty more of in Vancouver. They earned Silver in 2007 for Best New Fine Dining at the Vancouver magazine restaurant awards, and enRoute magazine followed suit by declaring it one of "The Next 20" best new restaurants in Canada. It was also a shoe in for my "Top 10 New Restaurants" in the Westender, and generally a favourite among food lovers and critics. I am confused/angry/bummed that it is on its way out, and hope to make it down tonight for one last drink and a goodbye (and maybe one of JC's little brioche sammy's).

Sniff. I loved that place.

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Wow, I am very sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.

On Scout this morning:
We are very saddened to have to report that the very excellent Chow Restaurant at 3121 Granville St. will close tonight after service.

Chef JC Poirier's ode to smooth and sophisticated French was outstanding in my book, from the always reliable food and the stellar bar program to the slick decor and genuine service.

Chow was a complete restaurant, the kind of youthful and independent neighbourhood operation I wish we had plenty more of in Vancouver. They earned Silver in 2007 for Best New Fine Dining at the Vancouver magazine restaurant awards, and enRoute magazine followed suit by declaring it one of "The Next 20" best new restaurants in Canada. It was also a shoe in for my "Top 10 New Restaurants" in the Westender, and generally a favourite among food lovers and critics. I am confused/angry/bummed that it is on its way out, and hope to make it down tonight for one last drink and a goodbye (and maybe one of JC's little brioche sammy's).

Cheers,

Anne

From Scout tonight:

Bartender Tannis Ling, a fixture on the wood and well at Chambar since 2005, has just signed a lease that has given her possession of 163 Keefer Street, a space just around the corner from Main St. in Chinatown proper (MAP).

Her plan? A modern Shanghainese/Taiwanese joint called “Bao Bei”. The small, 2200 sq ft, 50 seat room will feature an 8 seat bar (naturally) and a kitchen window not unlike the slit pass at Chambar. For the etymologists among you, the name is a Chinese term of endearment that translates along the same lines as precious, darling, honey, et cetera (a wonderful name).

Her mother’s cooking is the main inspiration behind the food concept. Nothing is set in stone just yet but she says that we can expect “lots of noodles, dumplings, drunken chicken - stuff like that”. Though the menu will see some experimentation, she carefully points out that there’ll be “nothing crazy”, hastily adding that it won’t be fusion. “I’m going to try to keep it as authentic as possible”.

Quality Chinese food + Tannis’ cocktails = lots of people, there. I assume (quite safely, I should think) that she won’t have to wait long for her first packed service with this, her first restaurant. I’m really looking forward to it, and I know I’m not alone.

If you’ve ever taken a stool at Chambar, it’s very likely that she’s served you and served you well. Tannis is highly respected in local barkeep circles. She is, without a doubt, considered one of the top bartenders in this increasingly tough bartender town. When she competes on any given Sunday, she can blow the boys away. She often does.

Tannis will stay on at Chambar until the end of June. She hopes to open Bao Bei by the early Fall.

PS. Doesn’t it seem as if everyone you’ve ever wanted to see open a restaurant on their own is doing just that, right now?

PPS. And there are more to come…

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

On Scout this morning:

Oh no! That's terribly sad news :sad: Chow was a big favourite of ours. Sigh. We've been travelling and had been looking forward to getting back there once we're settled back in town.

The old Fiddlehead Joe's place has reopened as Burrard Bridge Marine Bar & Grill. Looks like a burger and beer place and is owned by the Mill Marine Bistro, Prospect Point Cafe, Delilah's etc group.

Nook - looks like pizza and other casual Italian - in the former Schnitzels spot on Denman.

West is open for lunch again.

Cheers,

Anne