• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2009– )

[Host's note: to minimise the load on our servers, this topic has been split.  This discussion continues from here.]

img_3616.jpg

The restaurant replacing Aurora Bistro is now open on Main. It's called Wallflower Modern Diner. A gallery of photos here.

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Drove by Dona Cata on Victoria today and experienced a moment of horror at the empty premises and for lease sign. Horror receded when we drove a couple of blocks more and discovered it has only moved to larger digs -- didn't catch the exact address but it is still on the east side of the street, just a bit further north. Phew.

Good thing I come to eG once in awhile ... would have missed this info!

Couple of blocks over ... is that North or South? On the Firehall side or the other side?

Drove by Dona Cata on Victoria today and experienced a moment of horror at the empty premises and for lease sign. Horror receded when we drove a couple of blocks more and discovered it has only moved to larger digs -- didn't catch the exact address but it is still on the east side of the street, just a bit further north. Phew.

Good thing I come to eG once in awhile ... would have missed this info!

Couple of blocks over ... is that North or South? On the Firehall side or the other side?

Dine Here says 5076 Victoria Drive, Vancouver

Tel: 604-436-2232

but it was definitely a couple blocks further north, still on the east side of the street (not sure about firehall).

Tequila Kitchen in Yaletown closed, reportedly looking at opening somewhere with more reasonable rents.

Incendio in Gastown had a big fire yesterday so they'll probably be closed for a while.

Near Incendio, Deacon's Corner, a diner, has been opened by the Cobre people.

Cheers,

Anne

Not quite closed yet, but Save-on-Meats on Hastings seems to be destined to close after 50 some odd years. A little publicity in today's Sun might help:

Owner Al DesLauriers is 78, and wants to retire. He quietly put the Save-on-Meats building at 43 West Hastings up for sale last year for $3 million, and may close the business down on March 14 if he can’t find a buyer.

Find story here

Cheers,

Anne

scarpino's pizza on denman gone. no surprise as their prices were a joke, only surprise is that its actually a chain

Sarpino's?

What kind of prices are we talking about? I checked the website and there were no prices ... just tellin' me to check my local franchise for current prices.

scarpino's pizza on denman gone. no surprise as their prices were a joke, only surprise is that its actually a chain

Sarpino's?

What kind of prices are we talking about? I checked the website and there were no prices ... just tellin' me to check my local franchise for current prices.

don't remember exactly was only in there but once, briefly, but what i do recall was that it looked like downtown $1 a slice pizza at more than double the price, i guess in that location the rent would be huge but still......

• 2 weeks later...

Over at City Food, Rhonda May reports that Kelowna's Fresco will be replaced by a new concept:

... Chef Rod Butters of Kelowna's Fresco restaurant stepped up to the podium and announced to a surprised audience that this would be Fresco's last public event because he and wife/partner Audrey Surrao, after closing the top Okanagan restaurant for a post-New Year's break, had decided not to open it again.

Gazing down at his silent, jaw-dropped audience, Butters then laughed and whipped off his chef's jacket to reveal a t-shirt emblazoned with "Raudz Regional Table", the name of his new venture which will open in Fresco's location next spring.

Cheers,

Anne

I don't think this is a bad thing - Fresco's was good - but it was getting a little stale - I don't think it's how many people want to eat anymore. Waterfront is my preferred dining spot in Kelowna, while the terrace at Mission Hill offers outstanding food for lunch (though at dinner style prices).

Regardless - Rod Butters is a very very talented chef - I am sure this new venture will be intresting. It's good to hear that he has re-invigorated his business.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think this is a bad thing - Fresco's was good - but it was getting a little stale - I don't think it's how many people want to eat anymore.  Waterfront is my preferred dining spot in Kelowna, while the terrace at Mission Hill offers outstanding food for lunch (though at dinner style prices).

Regardless - Rod Butters is a very very talented chef - I am sure this new venture will be intresting.  It's good to hear that he has re-invigorated his business.

Yes, I agree it could us a freshening but the name is scary. Let's hope the execution is better.

I also agee with the Mission Hill comment. I haven't been to the Waterfront unfortunately.

Other news reported in Scout and Urban Diner:

Parkside will close at the end of February for renovations and re-open as a La Buca

Cheers,

Anne

I read today that Parkside is closing by March 1st and re opening a monthly later as a second la bacu.  I am extremely saddened by this news…… Can any confirm whats going on?

Yes it has been widely reported in Urban Diner, Scout, West Ender, the Sun etc, etc - closed end of February, renovations, reopens as a La Buca, same menu as the Kits La Buca.

Cheers,

Anne

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the last day for Save-on-Meats

Not quite closed yet, but Save-on-Meats on Hastings seems to be destined to close after 50 some odd years.  A little publicity in today's Sun might help:
Owner Al DesLauriers is 78, and wants to retire. He quietly put the Save-on-Meats building at 43 West Hastings up for sale last year for $3 million, and may close the business down on March 14 if he can’t find a buyer.

Find story here

Cheers,

Anne