• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Bubbles in Beranbaum's Sandwich Bread

nelson87

I've been making the above for a few years and have started to get rather large bubbles under the top skin of the cooked bread.

I've watched her YouTube demonstration folding and preparing the dough for the pan. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kEDGoFfPVk, Great Lady Must Add!

I'd be grateful for suggestions as to how to avoid large bubbles just under the bread's surface.

Thanks,

Nelson87

Sounds to me like what's happening is that you're not adequately releasing the larger air pockets after the first rise.  With the technique illustrated in the video, this means you're not dimpling the dough aggressively enough.  There are other ways to remove those pockets, but as you've used this technique successfully in the past, I'd recommend you start there.

Thanks for your reply. 

I viewed the video many times and noticed there were techniques shown that were not printed in her sandwich recipe but were noted in her general bread making instructions.

After the second 2hr rise, ½ the dough, dimple and fold and let rest for 20 minutes.  I did not do the rest.

Look at how she handles the dough.  Gently almost reverentially.  Me?  I was very rough.

“When I was young I was smart.  Now I am older I am kind.  I recommend kindness.” E.P. Doud

Rising:  I was raising the dough in my oven along with hot water.  Too fast!  I now let the dough rise at room temperature.

Results:  Smaller bubbles and a consistence loaf.  

Nelson87

Southern Connecticut