• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Knives, and other Home Made Kitchen Tools?

dcarch

On another thread, someone asked me to post pictures of my home made kitchen knives.

Here they are.

I am not a fancy display/showoff quality knife maker. I just want to quickly, and cheaply make a few knives that are sharp, and comfortable for my own working habits.

Basically, 1095 high carbon steel or D-2 tool steel blanks, which are under $20.00 each, heat treated, hardened and tempered.

With an angle grinder and a belt sander, they are shaped and sharpened. I used some wood and plumbing parts for the handles.

For scale, the blade for the yanagiba is 330mm long.

Anyone else here make their own knives? or other kitchen tools? Post away!

dcarch

Homemadeknives2.jpg

Homemadeknives.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks guys!

How long does it take to shape the blanks? About 1/2 an hour. Final sharpening after tempering takes longer because you can't use too much machine power. That would mess up the tempering of the steel. About 1 to 2 hours.

I bought my blanks from here:

http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/103.htm

As I remember, the kanji says "Sharp matter".

dcarch

• 3 years later...

I searched for an appropriate topic for this and this seemed the best fit. A while ago @Kerry Beal and I were talking about an ideal little pottery bowl for small-scale chocolate dipping. We were both keen on the idea of having a wire or string stretched across the bowl, much like the cake leveler trick popularized by @Chris Hennes many years ago, to scrape excess chocolate off the dipping fork. I set to work in the pottery studio and came up with a couple promising designs - both would hold probably 600 grams of chocolate max, and I left a bit of extra clay toward the bottom to help them hold heat for longer working time. They finally got fired and I picked them up today. The blue and grey one has notches on the foot ring to hold the “wire” (just I waxed dental floss in this instance), and the rust one has little knobs on the sides to wrap the wire around and keep it taut. As prototypes, they work great. With a few refinements and the right wire, they’ll be a great addition to my chocolate toolkit.

109545EC-C7A6-4D33-90AE-B5227C9EA37F.thumb.jpeg.3b767b6b55f86faf1d1c8ad518ff4286.jpeg78AC08EB-48F9-48D4-829E-E9A6CCAED720.thumb.jpeg.8a26de7d66df544bc503b11b4e4e29cf.jpeg39039617-F52B-4AA7-BFE9-26E6657F479C.thumb.jpeg.279c54e0db2274738d0a43c5429484c0.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Patty

20 minutes ago, patris said:

As prototypes, they work great. With a few refinements and the right wire, they’ll be a great addition to my chocolate toolkit.

You are very talented. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, patris said:

I searched for an appropriate topic for this and this seemed the best fit. A while ago @Kerry Beal and I were talking about an ideal little pottery bowl for small-scale chocolate dipping. We were both keen on the idea of having a wire or string stretched across the bowl, much like the cake leveler trick popularized by @Chris Hennes many years ago, to scrape excess chocolate off the dipping fork. I set to work in the pottery studio and came up with a couple promising designs - both would hold probably 600 grams of chocolate max, and I left a bit of extra clay toward the bottom to help them hold heat for longer working time. They finally got fired and I picked them up today. The blue and grey one has notches on the foot ring to hold the “wire” (just I waxed dental floss in this instance), and the rust one has little knobs on the sides to wrap the wire around and keep it taut. As prototypes, they work great. With a few refinements and the right wire, they’ll be a great addition to my chocolate toolkit.

109545EC-C7A6-4D33-90AE-B5227C9EA37F.thumb.jpeg.3b767b6b55f86faf1d1c8ad518ff4286.jpeg78AC08EB-48F9-48D4-829E-E9A6CCAED720.thumb.jpeg.8a26de7d66df544bc503b11b4e4e29cf.jpeg39039617-F52B-4AA7-BFE9-26E6657F479C.thumb.jpeg.279c54e0db2274738d0a43c5429484c0.jpeg

Well done!

• Like 1

:o

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

23 hours ago, patris said:

Perhaps we could drop by the studio to purchase our dipping bowls when we are down at Tomric!

25 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Perhaps we could drop by the studio to purchase our dipping bowls when we are down at Tomric!

xD

Let me know if anyone is interested - if so I will need to get to work, as firings can be unpredictably timed!

• Like 1

Patty

5 minutes ago, patris said:

xD

Let me know if anyone is interested - if so I will need to get to work, as firings can be unpredictably timed!

If you are serious - let's put a link to the planning thread and people can let you know what they want. I want mine to have an easy method to remove the wire for when I want to bung it in the microwave for reheating. I'm thinking wire between two wooden bits if you know what I mean.

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

If you are serious - let's put a link to the planning thread and people can let you know what they want. I want mine to have an easy method to remove the wire for when I want to bung it in the microwave for reheating. I'm thinking wire between two wooden bits if you know what I mean.

Sending you an email!

• Like 1

Patty