• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2007 -

Swisskaese

Hi, Monavano! There ARE foods that appear consistently- a challah (Swisskaese' style!) which is a rich and delicious egg bread, usually braided, and wine. Other than that, well, it depends solely on the celebrants' taste! However, if you keep a kosher home, you either serve dairy OR meats, but not the two together- so a meal will by necessity be either meat or dairy. If you're vegan, of course the meal will be 'parve', meaning without meat OR dairy. Aside from that, the foods served are as varied as the heritage of the Jewish people! For instance, I am mostly Syrian Jewish and so, I usually serve foods with a Syrian flavor profile, but I also have an Italian Jewish background, and so sometimes I serve Italian themed foods, but we also serve Japanese food, Chinese, Indian, Russian, Spanish, Mexican, Turkish, heck, let's just say LOTS of different themes! There are a lot of people who consider Middle Eastern foods to be singularly 'Jewish' and then there are people who consider Polish or Russian foods to be 'Jewish' but really, I have friends who consider Pot-Au-Feu to be the ultimate in Shabbat comfort food, of course, they are French! I think that in the USA, most Jewish people are European backgrounds, and they serve their version of Pot-Au-Feu:Cholent (Rabbi Ribeye style!)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Rebecca that recipe reminds me of the "sabbath switch" manufacturers had to add to new ovens.

Most new ovens come with a safety that turns them off after so many hours assuming you forgot to. Observant Jews had to convince them to put in a switch to overide the safety so they could have hot food on Saturdays.

Glad to see you back

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Shabbat Shalom everyone. Tonight it was just me and my wife. I made stuffed zucchini squash. Stuffed with rice and meat. Used the left over rice/meat mixture to stuff a green pepper and few cabbage leaves. Severed with a side of cabbage and carrots.

Hi, Monavano! There ARE foods that appear consistently- a challah (Swisskaese' style!) which is a rich and delicious egg bread, usually braided, and wine. Other than that, well, it depends solely on the celebrants' taste! However, if you keep a kosher home, you either serve dairy OR meats, but not the two together- so a meal will by necessity be either meat or dairy. If you're  vegan, of course the meal will be 'parve', meaning without meat OR dairy. Aside from that, the foods served are as varied as the heritage of the Jewish people! For instance, I am mostly Syrian Jewish and so, I usually serve foods with a Syrian flavor profile, but I  also have an Italian Jewish background, and so sometimes I serve Italian themed foods, but we also serve Japanese food, Chinese, Indian, Russian, Spanish, Mexican, Turkish, heck, let's just say LOTS of different themes! There are a lot of people who consider Middle Eastern foods to be singularly 'Jewish' and then there are people who consider Polish or Russian foods to be 'Jewish' but really, I have friends who consider Pot-Au-Feu to be the ultimate in Shabbat comfort food, of course, they are French! I think that in the USA, most Jewish people are European backgrounds, and they serve their version of Pot-Au-Feu:Cholent (Rabbi Ribeye style!)

Thank you so much. I'm betting your food is extraordinary with all of those influences!

Good Shabbos all. It's a couple hours before havdalah and I'm here at work... Feh. Today I cooked (yes, I know) latkes for 6... for a friend who just got out of the hospital after a second bout of Leukemia. She can't stand on her leg after a marrow transplant... and some things take precedence. I did this by hand... the world at home is in disarray pending painting... and the food processor is just not accessible. My poor knuckles told me that it's been a long time since I've ribed by hand. But I left a clean kitchen and a happy friend. May she heal well and go on to do good deeds. To the rest of you, a good week and may the peace of the day last all week for you.

hvr :biggrin:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

What has happened to our lovely Shabbat thread? My eyes have healed enough to read, and no one has posted in months. Boohoo. I will make a post regqarding our most recent Shabbat. We had chicken soup and a lot of love. My lovely Kiddle is now 18, and she is beginning to drive and cook. Life is a welcome gift that I hope tp receive for many, many more months.  HaShem is watching over us all, regardless-  we are responsible solely for our reaction to the world around us, and our own behavior towards others, so let's all be happy and share our lovley Shabbat meals with each other again!

Rebecca...thank you so much for bringing this back! I've wanted to post for such a long time, but I was sure that no one was reading anymore! Yippee!!

Ok, so here's what I did for Shabbos:

We had a couple of guests, and since we hadn't hosted in a while, I was really in the mood to cook a fancy meal!!

Appetizer:

Teryaki Salmon

Pomegranate, pear & walnut salad, served over mixed greens with balsamic reduction

Soup:

Chinese Chicken Soup

Main:

Sweet salsa chicken

Cranberry chicken

Spicy hassleback potatoes

Roasted broccoli

Dessert:

Oatmeal raisin cookies

Honey-cocoa loaf

Assortment of teas

Scotch

CapnCook! I adore salmon, and can only find mushy stuff lately in the wild section. Did you know that immune compromised people shouldn't eat farmed fish? Neither did I- it sucks. Please sign me up for triple servings of the scotch.

I have developed a new quick bread, an applesauce loaf, I will be posting the recipe in the next week or so- you may like it a lot if you like honey cocoa loaf.

HVRobinson- I adore potato latkes! I secretly like to eat them with tuna salad. I will pray for your friend's return to health, I will try not be jealous of her for getting the latkes, and I will try very hard not to be jealous of her for getting the transplant, too!

Monovano, you are welcome to our humble abode anytime, for a Shabbat meal or otherwise. Actually, everyone is-anytime that I'm not too sick to stay awake. Just call a couple of days ahead, so we that can set a place for you, and don't expect fancy food! All I can promise is that no matter what we eat, it's served with a lot of affection.

I want to do a really great Shabbat this Friday, so I am trying to plan ahead, because A-(wah!) I am in very bad shape physically, and B-(yay!) I begin a new chemotherapy tomorrow! I am planning vegetable broth with quinoa, hummous tahina, roasted cauliflower and a fruit cobbler. The rest will be done by my Kiddle and her friend- hopefully they will clean up too, because then I won't care what recipes they play with.

PS: I may not post much after this next week, please, someone, keep up this thread, it is the only thread I am keeping track of, and it cheers me so to read about everyone's Shabbat meals.

I just want to let you all know, I pray for all of us in the world, every day, for light and health and good to prevail in all of us. This thread has meant a lot to me, and I appreciate you all.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Rebecca that recipe reminds me of the "sabbath switch" manufacturers had to add to new ovens. 

Most new ovens come with a safety that turns them off after so many hours assuming you forgot to. Observant Jews had to convince them to put in a switch to overide the safety so they could have hot food on Saturdays.

Glad to see you back

tracey

My New GE Profile Oven has this feature!!

Hi. More often than not Shabbat dinner is at my house. I shop tomorrow and cook Thurs and Fri. So, we will start with everyone choosing a liqueur they like ( I know...!). Chat and then onion soup made with wine,roasted bread cubes and for those who are not observant, grated cheese. We are a mixed family!! Then salad, I will steal the above idea as it sounds great - pears, pommegranates and greens with balsamic. Yum! Thanks!!

Then for the main serving I think I will go traditional and serve roastbeef-any ideas for a great recipe will be most welcome... Stir- fry with tofu, baked potatoes and artichokes with a butter-lemon sauce. Dessert is a typical one to our household- cold, no- bake chocolate biscuit cake- nicknamed "the lump" by my dear son in law!!

Much health and good times ahead to all!

• 2 years later...

Today I made felafel, pita bread alongside the challahs, yogurt and a lovely apple upside down cake for tomorrow's lunch- we are having guests! I can't wait- Shabbat Shalom y'all!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

• 1 month later...

We have nowhere to eat in the Coop right now, we just brought my partner's estate into the house and every room is stuffed! This Shabbat we will be having string beans and rice in tomato sauce, seasoned with allspice and onions, and we will eat our Shabbat meal on chairs in the kitchen. We are very happy because I am about to get some more radiation and chemotherapy, after being on palliative care for almost 7 months- and that means lots more time for Shabbat meals! How about everyone else?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma