• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2007 -

Swisskaese

We are having:

Tagine of beef seasoned with ras al hanut, whole garlic cloves, fresh ginger, orange and lemon quarters, onions and carrots

Fine couscous

Roasted cauliflower

Steamed artichokes

Challah and red wine

Shabbat shalom!

We've been invited out for the third week in a row. This is a good thing since it means Blovie can clean the oven in time for hamentaschen baking on sunday. :smile: (and he won't be underfoot while I make my batters on saturday night).

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Shabbos, Purim...big plumbing work going on in the house, and all my cooking and baking plans are shot. We're simply going to a hotel for Shabbos, and instead of being prepared ahead of time, I'll have to cook on Purim day while DH and the little one are out delivering mishlochei manot. Keeping it simple: arroz con pollo, peas, olives and guacamole. Cold cooked salads provided by my older daughter. If I can bake bread early in the day, I will. At least there will be plenty of wine.

Suddenly even boiling water for a cuppa coffee is a big project, but one good thing about the chaos and dirt this plumbing emergency has brought on is that 3/4 of my Pesach work will be done when I've put everything back (sorted and dusted, all the stuff for donating and throwing out done). Pesach! Oy! Don't even want to think about that yet... :shock:

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

• 2 weeks later...

We had a very simple meal this week:

mushroom soup

london broil marinated in soy, honey, and garlic

roasted carrots and cauliflower

israeli couscous with toasted almonds and dried cranberries

The one good thing about this clock change is that I'll have more time to cook when I get home on friday afternoon. Maybe I'll actually be able to return all these invites we've received the past few months.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

We have been having very basic meals, Shabbat or otherwise! This Shabbat we had chicken broth with oatmeal in it. Seriously. It was delicious! My Kiddle is really coming through most nights, too. We just had already used the chicken for the week, and the freezer was kind of bare. For dessert we had the most delicious apple and pear ever. And so, our Shabbat was sweet! :smile:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Since Passover is lurking around the proverbial corner, I looked into what in the freezer could be used and therefore, give me more room for the holiday ..

This week was "Healthy 101""

Tomato soup (lycopene-rich) for the spouse

Green salad with a dijony-mustardy vinaigrette (mustard must be used up by Pesach)

Fresh green beans (which we can't eat on Pesach because of Ashkenzic background)

Huge, thick gorgeous asparagus

Small red potatoes roasted in olive oil and sea salt

Roast turkey breast

Fresh fruit

Peach turnovers (none too healthy, I know but cleaning our the freezer takes precedence).. :wink:

Defrosted frozen challah (leaving more room in the freezer, remember?)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Since Passover is lurking around the proverbial corner, I looked into what in the freezer could be used and therefore, give me more room for the holiday ..

I guess most observant Jews have gone shopping in the fridge already in order to make room for Pesach ingredients. Many of the stored foods in the freezer were quite elderly already, and I threw them out with the vow not to overstock ever again (ha).

Shabbat night was:

Whole-wheat bread made from the no-knead recipe. Like Melissa, my husband's health demands certain changes in the diet. No more white bread for him. The no-knead recipe yields a chewy, just-on-the-edge-of-sour ww loaf that's delicious. Not like conventional challah, though!

Soup made from turkey wings and the usual vegetables. Just a little different from the usual chicken soup, not enough to raise objections.

Skinless chicken, jointed and baked in a green marinade of 1/2-can coconut milk, garlic, tamari, orange juice, basil, cilantro, chives and s&p all blended. It baked till the marinade reduced to a gravy. Some lemon grass would have been nice, pounded and infused in the coconut milk, but the chicken was pretty good anyway. Got rid of that can of coconut milk that's been sitting in the cupboard.

Plain garlic rice and

spinach/mushroom sauteed with shallots on the side. Trying to eat up all the rice before the holiday...

Winter made a brief re-appearance here, so I thought a cholent would be an acceptable way to use up the barley still sitting in the freezer. (I keep all grains in there to keep them from sprouting bugs.) Gefulte fish and Yerushalmi kugel - store bought to expand the menu for guests invited just before Shabbat. Wax bean, cold, in an herby vinaigrette.

Fresh strawberries.

Tomorrow, kasha, again from the freezer. I still have all these pistachios, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds in there...what shall I do with them? Crush them and make a huge loaf of nut bread?!

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

Tomorrow, kasha, again from the freezer. I still have all these pistachios, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds in there...what shall I do with them? Crush them and make a huge loaf of nut bread?!

Miriam

I think that is a good idea. But, don't crush them, put them in whole. That is what I do.

We are also eating out of the freezer and we are making some bread this evening. I know it is crazy, but I need to use up our flour and I didn't have time to make any on Friday. I made Southern biscuits instead.

We are making a whole wheat sourdough (with Miriam's starter :smile:) and pumpkin seeds. David made a huge pot of chickpea minestrone that we are going to be eating for the next week. And, we need to finish our Quinoa.

I am afraid that we won't be able to finish all of our floury, beany items before Pesach. I may ask my boss, who is Christian Arab, if she will take them for me. It was so much easier in the States when I would just give them to a neighbor.

Usually I am much better about not buying so much flour and other items a month or so before Pesach, but I just wasn't paying attention to the calendar this time and now it is creeping up on me. Okay, deep breath Michelle!

We had:

Artichokes with garlic mayonnaise

Roasted Chicken with clementines, lemon, rosemary and pomegranate molasses

Steamed broccoli and carrots

Quinoa

Dalton Fume Blanc in an Oak Barrel 2005

We're also trying to get through all the open bags of corn meal, flour, rice, etc. Additionally, our weather turned for the worst - where it had been in the mid-60s earlier in the week, it started to snow over thursday night which meant wanting something a bit heartier. We ate -

Lentil soup

Veal Schnitzel, using a combination of corn meal and bread crumbs

Wild rice pilaf

2005 Portugese red from the Duoro - I can't remember the winemaker.

As my Kiddle is not Sephardic, I get rid of all beans and such before Passover, as well as the chametz. Poor Kiddle! It's either her or the beans! Well, I'm quite out of commission this year, and we just went through the cabinets. Next weekend she is having a number of friends over and we will be serving lots of hummous tahine, with home made pitas, corn mffins, oh, and popcorn. :raz: The kids who stay later will be eating pasta, and lots of it. This week we will eat all of the bean soup mix that I have made up in a jar, and the second jar will be a gift to one of my friends.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

• 3 weeks later...

Chicken soup, and potato something. We don't know what it is, but it looks like mashed potatoes. Kiddle believes it to be kugel, which she has never had, and is always looking for. EVERY unknown food we are given become the ever elusive kugel, until it is identified. I intend to make a noodle kugel after Passover, just to satisfy her curiosity. I am going to need guests, because I am pretty sure that Kiddle will not like the kugel. We're in NJ, send your friends.

Shabbat Shalom, and Hag Sameach! We wish you all a peaceful and joyous Shabbat during Passover!

edited by me to add: This IS a kugel a potato kugel. Not a great one, but made with love. Melissa, I have found YOUR potato kugel recipe, on Flick'r, and we are going to make it on Sunday!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

I was invited for an Israeli Moroccan Passover Shabbat dinner last night :biggrin:. Everything was wonderful. Salmon with a few salads to start (cucumber, beet, matbucha and roasted pepper), Moroccan chicken and vegetable soup, then dinner itself was chicken baked with a tomato-y sauce and peppers, an eggplant and beef dish, another Moroccan dish that resembled a potato kugel, salad and a lovely cauliflower dish. Dessert was an assortment of cookies and squares and a delicious chocolate mousse cake - served with Nana tea.

It was a lovely evening with friends and family - and the best part is that I've been invited back to learn how to cook couscous the 'Moroccan way' - after Pesach that is.

Chag sameach!

Chicken soup, and potato something. We don't know what it is, but it looks like mashed potatoes. Kiddle believes it to be kugel, which she has never had, and is always looking for. EVERY unknown food we are given become the ever elusive kugel, until it is identified. I intend to make a noodle kugel after Passover, just to satisfy her curiosity. I am going to need guests, because I am pretty sure that Kiddle will not like the kugel. We're in NJ, send your friends.

Shabbat Shalom, and Hag Sameach! We wish you all a peaceful  and joyous Shabbat during Passover!

edited by me to add: This IS a kugel a potato kugel. Not a great one, but made with love. Melissa, I have found YOUR potato kugel recipe, on Flick'r, and we are going to make it on Sunday!

Rebecca, et al

My office cafeteria served something they claimed was potato kugel on Wednesday, now I dont know from kugel but these looked like lumps of baked stuffing that were hard and dry and scented with cinnamon...thats not kugel is it?

the brisket wasnt too bad ...marinated in apple cider with crispy onions on top

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 3 weeks later...

An early spring meal....

Red lentil-vegetable soup

Slow cooked salmon w/salsa of pineapple, kiwi, red onion, and mint

Mustard green fritters

Roasted potatoes w/sea salt

Pomegranate-cherry sorbet

• 1 month later...

Shabbat Shalom Y'All! I am home from, well, difficult travels- these are difficult times. I have chicken in the freezer, so that is what we have in for Shabbat. Since I am too exhausted, we will probably not have challah, dessert or grape juice/wine, but some frozen vegetables will definitely make an appearance. I am going to rest now, so hopefully I WILL think of some easy yet interesting thing to do with what is in the pantry.

To spite these difficult times, we will have the most happy Shabbat of anyone... me and Kidd-le (trying to foil those pasky off topic links- my poor eGullet!)

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

• 2 weeks later...

Home again form hospital, in time for Shabbat! My daughter has made a roast chicken, and a new bakery opened at the foot of the hill- Italians from Brooklyn! They buy breads from a kosher baker in Brookyln, and my daughter walked down the hill today for our challah. A local bakery, in our tiny town! So, we will have a beautiful Shabbat, and I wish the same for all of you.

Although many things are not well in our lives right now, I am in partial remission with the main cancer, this is the pinnacle for my stage, and I am very grateful to be having such aggressive and diligent treatments! We have a lot to be thank ful for, and that is what we must focus on.

Shabbat Shalom!!!!!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Wonderful news Rebecca. I hope you'll reach full remission soon.

Our shabbat dinner was a simple and lovely, greenmarket-inspired meal: borscht, tomato-mozzerella tart w/basil-garlic crust, shelling peas, strawberry-rhubarb crumble with buttermilk ice cream.

• 4 months later...

What has happened to our lovely Shabbat thread? My eyes have healed enough to read, and no one has posted in months. Boohoo. I will make a post regqarding our most recent Shabbat. We had chicken soup and a lot of love. My lovely Kiddle is now 18, and she is beginning to drive and cook. Life is a welcome gift that I hope tp receive for many, many more months. HaShem is watching over us all, regardless- we are responsible solely for our reaction to the world around us, and our own behavior towards others, so let's all be happy and share our lovley Shabbat meals with each other again!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Rebecca, thanks for resurrecting this thread. We have not hosted the big family Shabbat dinners in a couple of months until last week. I opted for something easy and started with a carrot soup, followed by a ground meat and eggplant dish which is cooked together until the eggplant cubes fall apart and become incorporated with the ground meat. A few golden raisins were add for sweetness as well as some chickpeas. This was accompanied by a rice pilaf and tabouleh salad.

Although I'm not Jewish I'm glad to see the thread back up becuase I love to see all of your Shabbos dinners.

Could you who post your loving dinners here enlighten me as to what the dinner consists of? Are there certain "rules" to follow, foods to include, things to exclude.

Are there any typical dishes which appear consistently?

Thanks!