• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Future of Food Criticism

SobaAddict70

I haven't read this article yet (it's going to be a really busy day today), but I thought that a lot of you might enjoy this: http://madfeed.co/post/78754154929/the-future-of-food-criticism

A sample quote:

The chefs on the panel questioned whether its always the case that a print critic does his job professionally. I think a lot of critics come into a restaurant with an idea in mind already, and its easy to be funny through negativity, said Bech. One of the examples that came up in the discussion was critic Pete Wells takedown of Guy Fieris Times Square restaurant, a 1000-word assessment composed entirely of rhetorical questions. Among them: Why did the toasted marshmallow taste like fish? As Abend and Frank argued, if the experience is so bad if it looks like the restaurant is trying to take advantage of those spending money to eat there the critic should tell readers just how offensive the place is.

There's a podcast embedded in the article in case you want to listen to the symposium. About 1 hour and 50 minutes of your time.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)
  • Like 1

Interesting but predictable stuff. Surprising only for the generally decent acceptance of food bloggers and the seeming blindness to the generally crumbling economics of traditional print media.